Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Valiant

spkgibson

I recieved this kit from Missing Link about a year or so ago, I'm building this as just a display piece. I searched high and low for the correct shade of blue, I ended up using Krylon "Peek A Boo Blue" that color is almost the perfect match for the pale blue Chrysler used back in the mid 60's. I shot the paint over gray duplicolor sandable filler primer, I wet sanded the entire car before I put color on it, I found that if you use white, The color is to blue, The grey gave me the right shade I was looking for, It seems to tint the color , In these photos, That is the car freshley painted just 3 days ago, All I need to do is polish it out with some rubbing compound, No sanding required. When using this type of paint, I found it easier to mist on 3 light coats ,1 Meadium coat, Let it sit for an hour and a half. Inspect the paint job, And remove any dust or other stuff in the paint, I used a 2400 grit sanding cloth for that on the rubber block that comes in the kit I have,To remove a few dust particals, That was the only sanding I had to do, Then I added I heavy coat to gloss it up. And brought it inside and put it under a clear bread box, Let it dry overnight. Well on to the photos, I think the results speek for themselves, I haven't polished it yet, So it will look even better one I get that finished.66val10.jpg66val12.jpg66val11.jpg66val9.jpgAnd one of the real thing, I think I came very close.6620Plymouth20Valiant20163.jpg

Looks good and I've sure better than it shows here. Every monitor looks different too, :)

I expect you could have gotten the exact paint like from here. Bah, it didn't get the link right to the paint, but easy to find.

Edited by Foxer

looks great! kev and i both have a lot wrapped up in that kit..him cash and me persuading him to do it!

Well a big thanks to both of you,Without you guy's investing time and money in stuff like this, We would all be fighting for a promo on the "Bay" , This is a great kit , And anyone that has anything to say about the price of it, Well I think it was either the pale blue promo, Or the pale yellow one that Someone payed $900.00 for on there. That kind of money would be silly to pay for something like this. This IS the best 66 Valiant Kit out there. The factory stock one. And are worth every penny . Anyways as soon as I get the car polished out, And put the windows in I'll post the finished project. This is going to look great sitting on my shelf of A-Body promos, The next one i'm after it that 66 Barracuda , And another one of these to make a full detail Valiant And the Barracuda, Thats what that HOG kit under the Vailiat is for, To Swipe parts out of.

Very cool clean build!

I am thinking that body would make a cool little gasser. :)

Nice job!

Yes this would, My plan was to build this one, Then get the Speed City Resin Altered wheelbase 66 , And make the "Hairy Canary" 66 Valiant . I want to get another one of these also, And the other one I mentioned , Paint them alike ,And make a drag team out of them, I already have the Trailer out of the 76 Caprice, But I would love to find the one out of the "Diamond In the Rough " Set that was out back in the late 80's. Crusader, The Valiant Promos were made From 1960 to 1966, I think the 60 and 61 were made by SMP, I'm not 100% sure about that though, The 62-66 By AMT. Personally I would try and find resin kits , Or Annuals of the 60 and 61, As the plastic the promos were made of warped severely, I have never seen one without a warp.

Nice, Steve. I bought the next-to-last kit that Kevin had and I'm very happy to have it.

I was toying with doing the light blue, too, and may do just that now that I've seen yours.

For curiosity, what did you use for the tires?

Charlie Larkin

Modelhaus Has the correct tires, You would have to call them ,And tell them what kind of car you're using them on, As they have all kinds of different sets, I got lucky and was able to find a complete set of originals out at Dean's Hobby Stop. I just finished polishing out the paint on sunday, I am going to let it sit now for about a week, Then i'll start putting together. I will be getting another one of these from Missing Link. Soon. As I want to build another one fully detailed with foil and detail painting along with getting the AFX version of the car from Speed City Resin, To make a Drag Team out of.