50/49 Ford pick,

28 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Saw these photos of a Ford truck and matching trailer and said I have to build that, so bought this "glue" bomb at a swap meet, (Sorry but did not take a before photo) stripped it down and started chopping the top and getting it down on the ground. The old AMT NASCAR kits are a good source for front and rear end parts.

The trailer will be mostly scratch built with the old "Tilt" trailer that came in the old Chevy Caprice kit, as the base, and with sheet plastic for the body....stay tuned.

zzvi-vi.jpg?1302715041

zzzvi-vi.jpg?1302715042

IMG_1798-vi.jpg

IMG_1797-vi.jpg?1302715200

IMG_1795-vi.jpg

IMG_1802-vi.jpg

IMG_1794-vi.jpg

IMG_1799-vi.jpg

Edited by Lanny Haas

Posted · Report post

Great! That Pickup with trailer is Finnish build, and it sure looks good. I have some pictures of it, if you need. That has been in Finnish Hot Hor Magazine called "V8 Magazine". Looks good start, I'll be watching this one surely! :mellow:

Posted · Report post

Thats a cool one.I like your bed floor,tasty.

Posted · Report post

Sweet truck. I like the bed and wheels.

STewart

Posted · Report post

Where did you get the wood and the strips for the bed? Looks good.

That's a beautiful pair. Looking forward to seeing the progress on this. Keep the photos coming.

I didn't notice it at first but those headlights are huge!

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

Posted · Report post

Boy do I like this. To bad you can't make molds of the trailer parts and make resin copies. Those huge headlights were Fords' and Detroit's attempt to help farmers and drivers see on those dark farm roads before dual headlights came in in '58. I always liked the old large single lights on those fat fendered trucks and cars. Gave them a "face". I will be watching this build. Patrick M

Posted · Report post

I have a question for you. I always wonder where those green cutting mats come from. I see them on several posts under the builds and they look like something that works for building and cutting plastic on. Thank you. Patrick M

Posted · Report post

I use a lot of the nascar parts on my builds too!! nice truck!

Posted · Report post

Going to keep an eye on this build. Looks very interesting.

Posted · Report post

The wood is a thin veneer, for counter tops and edge trim. Home Depot has it. the strips are a brass square tub, that I cut in half, to make a c channe. only thing I could find. its all glued to a sheet plastic the size of the bed. My first try at this, and a lot of work fitting it all together.

IMG_1802-vi.jpg

Posted · Report post

Something tells me this one is going to leave us all breathless. WOW!

Posted · Report post

Nice, Lanny! Great project.

You going to have it done for DSC the day-after-tomorrow? LOL.

Keep 'em coming.

:(

PS: You should post the '51 Chevy you took 2nd with at the club last night ... it's sweet! The guys here would love it. See you Saturday.

DAY AFTER TOMORROW??..HELP MR WIZARD....just bought the paint today

Edited by Lanny Haas

Posted · Report post

The wood is a thin veneer, for counter tops and edge trim. Home Depot has it. the strips are a brass square tub, that I cut in half, to make a c channe. only thing I could find. its all glued to a sheet plastic the size of the bed. My first try at this, and a lot of work fitting it all together.

IMG_1802-vi.jpg

Thanks. Looks good. Well worth the effort. I'll have to see if I can locate some of that to use for some truck builds.

Posted · Report post

I have a question for you. I always wonder where those green cutting mats come from. I see them on several posts under the builds and they look like something that works for building and cutting plastic on. Thank you. Patrick M

You can get them at any hobby store like Hobby Lobby or Hobby Town USA or just about anywhere on the net that sells model supplies.

Posted · Report post

You can get them at any hobby store like Hobby Lobby or Hobby Town USA or just about anywhere on the net that sells model supplies.

or Michaels, Jo Anne Fabrics, A C Moore......self healing cutting mats :P

Posted · Report post

I bought my mat off of ebay, got a good deal but ask them to mail it flat-mine came rolled up and it took forever to flatten out.

Posted · Report post

Thanks. Looks good. Well worth the effort. I'll have to see if I can locate some of that to use for some truck builds.

I work in a wood shop and have tons of veneer if you want me to send you some pm me.

Posted · Report post

Made little progress these last few weeks. Seems life gets in the way of my modeling....

hooked up the linkage.

MVC022S-vi.jpg

gas lines hooked up

MVC023S-vi.jpg

Posted · Report post

Oooh, nice bed floor.

gus

Posted · Report post

did a little work on the 50 ford. reworked the front end to match the truck im building

MVC017S-vi.jpg

using a pattern I cut out the grill opening

MVC019S-vi.jpg

used the 57 Ford custom head lights, and will use the custom tail lights too

MVC022S-vi.jpg

Posted · Report post

starting on this again. was sideline buy other projects, but now time to finish, at least the truck

IMG_1796-vi.jpg?1314117911

the more I look at this bed the more I didnt like it, It was wood and brass strips glued to a peice of sheet plastic,

so I had a better idea.

MVC004S-vi.jpg

smaller brass strips and1/23" wood. this is a rough fit, will polish the brass and finish the wood.

MVC002S-vi.jpg

using brass square tubing for cross rails and even smaller ones for the bed rails

MVC005S-vi.jpg

And now looking from the underside, it look like the way a real truck would look.

MVC008S-vi.jpg

going to lay this thing on the ground when its all done

Edited by Lanny Haas

Posted · Report post

This is really a good looking truck, I kinda like the way it looks in the last pic, well aged and used... Great work so far...