Model Cars Magazine Forum

Introducing "Blue Velvet"

Dr. Cranky

Revell's 49 Merc was one of the first kits in my stash. It's been sitting there because I didn't want to build "just another flamed & chopped Merc". Unfortunately, the inspiration to come up with something fresh hasn't hit me. You have found it. This is the most original 49 Merc in recent memory. But that should be expected. No one comes up with more originality than you.

Awesome concept

Awesome execution

gimmy the keys!

Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate it. I keep thinking of one of the most important reasons I take photographs of the builds and the look at them closely, for the stuff I've forgotten like the reflector lights in the front . . . and I still have to put a couple of details in the engine bay . . .

:):D:lol:

The people in Florida, in particular around Orlando where it will begin to hail for no apparent reason and who have convertibles have learned to speed up to about 150 and remain dry as they drive! :(

Actually everyone down here with classic cars checks the weather every single time.

Grab the cat and rub a comb on it then hold it over in and around the car watch out for it's claws.

Just Kidding DR Cranky. no this is one of the best murc's i have ever seen.

and i always liked the one in "Streets of Fire"

there was one down the street when i was a kid had the sides dished in like a Vet.

Yours is much better by far. Well Done Sir!

Thanks, Russell.

I used "Midnight Blue" from House of Kolor (air brushed), with pearlescence blue pearls mixed with SG-100 (airbrushed), then 4 coats of Dupont clear coat (Rattle can). Then lots of Cranky style spit shinin'! :P

Beautiful finish Doc! I looked at the data sheet for HOK SG100 and was surprised to see that it is an intercoat clear. It's listed on HOK's urethane page, but it does not require a catalyst. I assume that it's a urethane, but I'm not sure. Is it a urethane?

Edited by pharr7226