Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 Trans-Am Boss 302 Mustang - finally completed

Phildaupho

DSCN1010-vi.jpg

DSCN1016-vi.jpg

DSCN0998-vi.jpg

DSCN1007-vi.jpg

LINK TO PHOTOS OF MODEL & 1/ GO HERE http://public.fotki.com/phildaupho/dan-gurney-scale-ra/1969-mustang/

BODY – Revell 1/25 ’69 Mustang Mach 1 [later discovered I could have adapted ’69 front fascia to Revell 1/24 1970 Boss 302 Mustang]

-Flared wheel openings

-Removed windshield wipers

-In engine compartment removed battery and filled area between radiator grill. Radiator top reshaped. Monte-Carlo bar added

-Fabricated fuel filling door on trunk

-Detailmaster hood pins

PAINT – I compared every shade of blue at my disposal to every photo I had personally taken or found on line of the car currently or back in the day. Nothing seemed to really match so I took the highest resolution photo of the car as it appears today partly in the sun and partly in the shade to the local automotive paint shop. They mixed up some urethane acrylic enamel that is as close as they could get.

DECALS – I used a combination of the Fred Cady Bud Moore ’69 Mustang sheet and ones I made up on my computer.

INTERIOR-Cut out inside door panels

-Removed console and filled with half round styrene

-Reshaped extensively rear seating area

-Smoothed dash panels with computer made gauges

-Roll cage is modified unit from Plastic Performance Products

-Seat from Revell ’71 Stars & Stripes Corvette with photo-etched harness

-Floor covering a combination of metal from a floppy-disc and duct tape

-Interior and chassis paint is Humbrol white tinted with gray

CHASSIS-Lowered 3 scale inches front and back

-Removed stock fuel tank to be replaced with fuel cell

-Oil coolers for differential and transmission added

ENGINE-Boss 302 Engine & transmission from AMT ’69 Cougar

-Fabricated dual 4-barrel intake manifold for huge four barrels that must be from a Pro-Stock kit

-Distributor from Replicas & Miniatures

-Breather pipe and dual cooling line added

-Headers modified from Revell ’68 Mustang Cobra Jet

-Air-box fabricated from Evergreen styrene. Air hoses are drinking straws

WHEELS & TIRES-Daisy mag wheels from 1/24 Revell ’57 Corvette, which were a little too big in diameter. Painted the outer rim black to visually reduce diameter. Tires are the bigger Goodyear Sports Car Specials with raised letters from an older Monogram Shelby GT-350R kit

-Disc brakes from Revell ’32 Ford

For more about Dan Gurney Scale Race cars check out the yahoo forum at

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dangurneyscaleracecars/

Edited by Phildaupho
  • Like 1

Looks really good.

My only criticism would be on the distributor- The firing order of the engine in 1:1 would require the wires to go different ways than just being neatly parted down the middle.

mump_0605_02_z+ford_small_block_crate_engine_guide+ford_racing_m6007_xb3m_5liter_long_block_crate_motor_1965_ford_mustang.jpg

Good eye - I thought someone would pick up on that. I no longer have my 65 Falcon to refer to.

Looks good, I also have one to build but will be doing a locally Aussie racer being Alan Moffat's. It was a Kar Kraft car however.

I believe the Trans-Am 'stangs had pie cut front fenders, does anyone have any info on this?

Regards

Edited by Bantoft

Looks good, I also have one to build but will be doing a locally Aussie racer being Alan Moffat's. It was a Kar Kraft car however.

I believe the Trans-Am 'stangs had pie cut front fenders, does anyone have any info on this?

Regards

According to the excellent book by Dr. John Craft - Mustang Race Cars, only the first three prototypes were completed by Kar Kraft. These three did in fact have a one inch pie cut to the front fenders.For a fantastic website on the Boss 302 racecars check http://www.ponysite.de/transam.htm Here you can find specific information on the car you want to build.

As a result of my research to wrote

A BRIEF HISTORY of the BOSS 302 TRANS-AM MUSTANGS

Ford won the Trans-Am Series in 1966 and 1967 with Mustangs built by Shelby American. Things changed in ’68. The Penske Camaros became the benchmark of the series while the tunnel-port Mustang was a disaster. Ford’s strategy of taking engine development in-house backfired. As a result, the championship went to Chevrolet. Ford wanted the Trans-Am championship back so got very serious in 1969. To replace the tunnel-port, two engines were evaluated. The Gurney Westlake with its sophisticated aluminum heads was the quickest but would have been very expensive to homologate. What would become the Boss 302 race engine was essentially a combination of the tunnel-port short block with heads based on the 351 Cleveland. For ’69 Ford gave engine preparation back to the teams.

“Bodies in White†initially from the 428 Cobra Jet assembly line were sent to the shops of Kar Kraft, a Ford subcontractor. The resulting prototypes were aid dipped to reduce weight, the front fenders were wedge sectioned to improve aerodynamics and the bodies were channeled to get them as low as possible.

There were two factory Mustang teams for ’69. Team Shelby was back for its third and final year in Trans-Am. The Bud Moore Team, which was racing Cougars in the NASCAR Grand American “Pony†series during 1968 returned to Trans-Am as Ford’s seemly, favored team. Privateer teams had to build their own Boss 302 racecars unlike previous years when Shelby produced Trans-Am Mustangs for anyone who wanted one.

Another interesting aspect of Ford’s Trans-Am campaign in 1969 was the fact that the Bud Moore cars were on Firestones while Team Shelby used Goodyears. The Firestones were better qualifiers but the Goodyears help up longer. Furthermore the Firstones had the superior rain tires. Both teams stated the season on American Racing “Daisy†mag wheels but due to some problems attributed to these wheels later switched to the Minilite wheels used by virtually all the other teams.

Even with four cars and a bevy of tremendous drivers, Ford could not take the championship back from Penske in 1969. All that changed back in Ford’s favor for 1970. The Boss 302 Trans-AM Mustang in 1970 was probably the ultimate evolution of the first generation Trans-Am racecar plus Penske had moved over to AMC and the new Camaros run by Chaparral were not as competitive.