Model Cars Magazine Forum

Meyers Manx

gwaltz1

Yesterday, I picked up the two I ordered from my LHS. As I walked through their model section on my way up to the register, there was a third Manx kit on the shelf that I very nearly picked up. But I thought that two would have to be enough... for now.

I do have to say that I am a little disappointed with the rear axle set-up. No biggie, I probably would have made the old swing arm it would likely have had into an IRS anyway.

The rest of the kit is great- top knotch from what I've seen so far.

David G.

I do have to say that I am a little disappointed with the rear axle set-up. No biggie, I probably would have made the old swing arm it would likely have had into an IRS anyway.

Seeing as it's a repop of a 42 year old kit, you can't expect the level of detail that today's kits offer. The series 1 Manx bodies would not clear the inboard arms of the IRS rear without a body lift; that's why the Manx 2's had a flat rear floor(no battery or spare tire wells like in the 1s)

So far the clear kits are a little brittle.

I will be sanding underneath the body of the purple one this weekend, getting rid of the sink marks, then painting silver, then semi-gloss black (thanks, Jairus.)

Everyone, please send your high-res pics to me of your Meyers Manx (only) Dune Buggy models and real cars.

There is a Corvair motor in the Barris buggy kit, can't get to it right now, I know it's yellow.

Dwayne, I'm from Kailua, sorry.

Us Kailua boys don't like dem Kaneohe guys....

We would take the Pali over the Likelike every time....

Ok so the tamiya karmin ghia kit is identical to the bug. as for the corvair engines while I can't speak to accuracy they are included in Ed Roth Road agent,the revell gypsy dune buggy which is the same chrome tree that is in the ahm super safari dune buggy. the gypsy was also reissued slightly different under a different name which escapes me right now. vw kits not mentioned thus far the imc vw kit the details are somewhat soft but I think there may be something there that is useful. the tom daniel lil van advertises a 1600 vw mill which I will leave up to the experts to determine if it is bash worthy .while I could not locate the instruction sheet the revell vw roller van may be able to contribute some engine parts.and in my parts bin from locations unknown but seemingly different from the aforementioned kits I have a vw engine in yellow plastic and one in white plastic so there are potentially two more sources. that is all I have to say about that.I thought about taking pictures but then dismissed it .

The series 1 Manx bodies would not clear the inboard arms of the IRS rear without a body lift; that's why the Manx 2's had a flat rear floor(no battery or spare tire wells like in the 1s)

Thanks, I was not aware of that. I'll kep it in mind as I male the modifications.

David G.

Just started working on mine today. Gotta say that the ejector pin marks and flash (in my example anyway) are a little heavy and really have me questioning the outlay of cash for this kit. I have a lot of ideas for the kit, and some spare parts to do it with.................

.....now to raid my nail polishes for a good color.

So far the clear kits are a little brittle. I will be sanding underneath the body of the purple one this weekend, getting rid of the sink marks, then painting silver, then semi-gloss black (thanks, Jairus.) Everyone, please send your high-res pics to me of your Meyers Manx (only) Dune Buggy models and real cars. There is a Corvair motor in the Barris buggy kit, can't get to it right now, I know it's yellow. Dwayne, I'm from Kailua, sorry. Us Kailua boys don't like dem Kaneohe guys.... We would take the Pali over the Likelike every time....

Gregg, I spent a summer there in my aunts house in 73 baby sitting cousins. It was nice back then there. I spent another summer with my friends the Major and the Mrs out on the army base recovering from a surgery in 98. Lived on base in the officers quaters section. Kind like it over there. Except for one time on a beach I was wearing a t shirt that said Brudda on it. A large Samoan gentleman reminded me no 13 year old howlie was his Brudda. Packed the shirt till I came home LOL

Here is a Vair engine from the AMT Vair kit

_1988-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I made Irs axles with u joints like we ran in our class 1 buggy the pan parts are the manx parts

Dwayne, you made me laugh.

Glad you survived!!!

And it's haole

:-)

I was haole, but I quit.

That's my line, nobody can use it, I trademarked it.

I think there are a few IRS pans out there.

I'm working on the full article for the VW's so have patience.

If you have input for it, send to me in email.

I know everyone wants the info now, instant gratification, but need to save some for print, yes?

Ok, I have an observation here and was wondering if anybody elses' are the same. I went to sand some of my chrome parts to glue them together and lo-and-behold the plastic underneath was Glitter Purple! Now, my kit is just a white plastic unit, but to see the Purple Glitter plastic covered in chrome makes me wonder if I got an 'oops' kit of if they are all like that.