Model Cars Magazine Forum

Terrible Kits You Love!

The model I love but hate and has caused me nothing but frustration is both versions of the Revell /Monogram 66 Malibu with the flip front end.Awesome mean looking model when done,but I can NEVER get that front end end to flip open correctly without knocking off a carb or two.Or the entire tunnel ram.Or the front end coming detached from the front grille/bumper assembly.

170235-10571-pristine.jpg

170247-10571-pristine.jpg

Hardest thing for me to get past on these Monogram Chevelles is the wacky front grille.  The whole appearance is way off from a factory stock '66 Chevelle, especially the raised center area between the headlights.

Worse yet, the grille bars in the center section aren't even horizontal!  You can even see it on the "Street Rat" box art above, with the red car.  Think someone had one too many lunch beers the day they cut the tooling for that grille!

Interesting thing is that the black box art car above seems to have a better looking grille, much closer to stock.  Wonder if the original 197x issues had a better grille, and at some point the tooling was poorly repaired/reengraved?  I can say definitively that the Malibu SS version (molded in black, tunnel ram, Super Trick wheels) that I bought around 1992 has the lousy grille shown on the red car above.

I suppose you could argue that it represents a custom tube grille (it's a '70s street machine, after all).  Otherwise, blacking out the grille bars would probably help hide a lot of the sins.  My original plan was to build something "closer to stock" out of it, but once the Lindberg '66 came out, there was no point in doing that anymore..

Edited by Robberbaron

Hardest thing for me to get past on these Monogram Chevelles is the wacky front grille.  The whole appearance is way off from a factory stock '66 Chevelle, especially the raised center area between the headlights.

Worse yet, the grille bars in the center section aren't even horizontal!  You can even see it on the "Street Rat" box art above, with the red car.  Think someone had one too many lunch beers the day they cut the tooling for that grille!

Interesting thing is that the black box art car above seems to have a better looking grille, much closer to stock.  Wonder if the original 197x issues had a better grille, and at some point the tooling was poorly repaired/reengraved?  I can say definitively that the Malibu SS version (molded in black, tunnel ram, Super Trick wheels) that I bought around 1992 has the lousy grille shown on the red car above.

I suppose you could argue that it represents a custom tube grille (it's a '70s street machine, after all).  Otherwise, blacking out the grille bars would probably help hide a lot of the sins.  My original plan was to build something "closer to stock" out of it, but once the Lindberg '66 came out, there was no point in doing that anymore..

that's funny because I never knew there was a difference until you pointed that out! lol

I have a couple more of these kits unbuilt and junked out.Now I'm going to have to dig them out and see which ones have the messed up grille.Maybe I did notice it but didn't pay attention to the differences.

Edited by Dusted1972

I'm a drag car guy, I love the old AMT funny cars, total lack of detail, odd engineering, you name it!

But I really like them, was crazy for them in 1967 when they came out, still love them! I can detail them if I want, or just enjoy the.

I dig the AMT Willys pickup as well, bad front end, so what!? It's so fast you can't see it anyhow! 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I went and did it. I'm a glutton for punishment. This evening I went a head and purchased a Lindberg, ex-Pyro, 1937 Cord on eBay. I know! I know! It's a terrible kit. But, I just could resist it any longer. I love Cord 812s. And I built one of Pyro copies back in 70's. One of my secret love to hate kits. Or is that hate to love? It will be fun to display with my Monogram Cord 812.

Scott

• 1 year later...
On 4/22/2011 at 2:16 AM, evilone said:

Well i dont have any specific kits except the show rods.

You know the red barron, beatnik bandet,rommels rod, stuff like that. i hate them simply because the lack of obviouse items such as a alternator or gas tank.

The Red Baron has a massive chrome gas tank hanging off the back of the chassis, and the Rommel's Rod has a big gas tank on the front ?

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 8:27 PM, Daddyfink said:

The Buttera style Funny Car chassis from AMT was also one that left quite a bit to be desired. After working with the Revell stuff, the pipe on these looked huge! 

Related image

Big pipe just looks better. In my opinion the AMT Double Dragster kits have BIG pipe but I feel it just looks so much better than the Revell frames (parts packs) even the newer Slingster vs the older Sizzler.

Now I have to say, I realize the big thicker pipes are not to scale as the smaller ones are, just something I prefer maybe some 1/24th scale bias. I know that's not the issue though.

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:44 AM, Olderisbetter said:

My favorite one to hate is the 1948 Lincoln Continental Lindberg/ I forget who originally made it. So damned hard to build, but so beautiful when finished. I've done 2 of them and if my blood pressure ever returns to normal I will try another.

PYRO originally made that one, back in the 1950's.  Along with their similar Auburn and Cord kits, which are also still being reissued by Lindberg/R2.

I guess my love-to-hate kits are the Revell Tri-Five Chevies.  Like the Lincoln you mentioned, they can look great but you need 4 hands to build them.  Recently found a Revell '57 Nomad cheap at a flea market.  The late-80's "Skip's Fiesta" issue.  I think the earlier versions of these kits are probably a little easier to build than later ones, due to mold aging, flash, etc.  The Nomad will probably sucker me in at some point and make me hate myself...