Model Cars Magazine Forum

Does Plug Wire Color Really Matter?

These are some really great responses! I agree that for a 100% factory stock look, black or gray wires are the way to go. For anything else, the sky's the limit! It just bugs me sometimes when someone questions me on my color choice of plug wires. The majority of my builds are a stock appearing muscle car, but I like to put my own twist on it by changing something. To me, the plug wire color is not a big deal, especially when the model is going to sit on my shelf with the hood closed.

IMHO, gauge and texture matter most, color less so, depending on the goal of the build you're doing. Wires that are too thin or too fat bug me when I look at a model, and the texture of sewing thread was always its weak spot. As to color, period specific builds or full-on replicas demand the right color and gauge, but beyond that what matters is more along the lines of attractive color coordination with respect to the overall look you're trying to achieve. Are you going for eye-popping detailing and aggressive color combos or are you going for a more subdued look of "realism"? Choose your wire accordingly. But I have to admit that an awful lot of the time for me it's down to what's in the parts box... :)

IMHO, gauge and texture matter most, color less so, depending on the goal of the build you're doing. Wires that are too thin or too fat bug me when I look at a model, and the texture of sewing thread was always its weak spot......

Me too, but my biggest plug wire pet peeve is realistic "droop" and routing. I cringe every time I see what looks like a huge spider standing on an engine, or wiring with 90 degree bends going around a header or something.

Mike, just collect some pictures of real engines with different colored wiring, and when some ignoramus says "hey, that color ain't right", show him a real one.

...my biggest plug wire pet peeve is realistic "droop" and routing. I cringe every time I see what looks like a huge spider standing on an engine, or wiring with 90 degree bends going around a header or something...

I totally agree, and getting the "droop" right still constitutes the biggest challenge I have when wiring an engine. I know I'm guilty of more than one "spider" myself! :blink::(

The color's not an issue for me- do hate the overly shiny, obviously vinyl and usually oversize "spiders" whether black, blue, purple or orange

Having spent some time working at the local speed shop years ago I can't certainly attest to the popularity of the inexpensive yellow "Super Stock" Accel wires (they may be better than some AutoZone stuff but are a far cry from OEM quality in the 1:1 world)

Even the "direct fits" didn't fit too well but every box came with a set of cheap plastic separator clips- "custom" routing is a must for accurate yellow Accel wires in scale- maybe even simulated black tape around the burned boots <_<

My only bugaboo about plug wires are yellow ones. They remind me of those cheap ACCEL stuff you buy from an auto parts store. Most factory

wires are black with maybe dark red boots. Sorry bout the yellow guys, I just DON'T like it. On a nice build it makes the car look cheap to

me. Don't mean to hurt any feelings but thats just my take on the subject.

How do you feel about the MOPAR High Performance wire that Comes in orange?:)

I agree on disdain of 'floating' wires. They invest all kinds of detail, but forget to add gravity! :D

Since were all taking a bite out of this one....

I totally agree with the starched-looking plug wires. Looks like cement re-bar bent into an approximate shape. I have similar sentiments on flat braided steel lines....

...and by the way, MSD does Red w/ Gray boots....

SANY0013-vi.jpg

Are you kidding me? Does the color matter? When was the last time you saw black plug wires in the winner's circle? Colored wires are good for at least 2 tenths in the quarter. And Smoky Yunick's experiments with "clear" plug wires are legendary

And didn't certain Corvettes come with BRAIDED plug wires?

Yes. They had a braided outer sheath that was used to prevent radio interference. I forget exactly which years had those, but I beleive it was late '50s-'mid '60s.

Edited by Longbox55