Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hut Stricklin

bbowser

SAM_0476.jpg

SAM_0474.jpg

SAM_0477.jpg

Hut took over driving duties of the Stavola Bros. #12 after Bobby Allison's near fatal crash at Pocono in 1988. Coincidentally, he was married to Donnie's daughter Pam Allison, and is considered the last member of the Alabama gang. I always liked the colorful hood of this car as well as the 1988 Buicks.

Was that a Stavloa Bros. car or I thought that was owned by Bobby Allison? Not sure now been a few years. Looks great though.

I couldn't remember for sure either, I looked it up on Wikipedia. It's only been 23 years?! (gosh I feel old now)

... this Raybestos Buick was run in 1991 .......... owned by Bobby Allison and driven by Hut Stricklin ........... they switched to Chevrolet Luminas for 1992

The Raybestos sponsorship went to the Stavola brothers in 1993 ....... they were Fords driven by Sterling Marlin

I had to look it up in Greg Fielden's "Forty Years of Stock Car Racing"

By the way Bruce, that's one really sweet build ..... keep them coming :(:blink:

Edited by Old Coyote

• 1 month later...

stavola bros cars were #8 werent they. they had the snickers car and the raybestos after that. i think i even remember hut driving it as a #8 raybestos car and then jeff burton went there. not sure if this is 100% correct. just what i remember.

Bobby Allison started driving for the Stavola Brothers in 1986. At that time, he continued using the #22 that he had been using while driving the DiGard cars in the early part of the 80's. For 1988, the team switched to Bobby's traditional #12 (presumably because Junior Johnson had closed his #12 team, thus the number was available). When Bobby got hurt, Mike Alexander was named as the replacement driver, and the car was renumbered #84 (Alexander's traditional Late Model number).

During all this time, the Stavola Brothers were also running their #8 team with Bobby Hillin, Jr. driving.

Stavola ran both the #8 and #84 cars in 1989, but for 1990 the team had scaled back to running only the #8 (Hillin driving the Snickers car in 90). 1990 also saw Bobby Allison Racing formed. Again Alexander drove for Allison with Raybestos as the sponsor. Since the #12 was available, the team picked it up. While there were many similarities (Alexander, Buicks, number font), Bobby Allison Racing was independent from the Stavola Brothers Team.

Both team and sponsor combinations remained intact for 1991 (the year of your model pictured here), though Rick Wilson did replace Hillin in the #8. Hut Stricklin was also named the full time driver of the #12 (he had replaced Alexander mid-season in 1990).

Following the 1991 season, Buick pulled out of NASCAR. For 1992, the Stavola team went to Fords, while Allison switched to Chevrolets. Dick Trickle drove the Stavola's Snickers Thunderbird, while Stricklin remained in Allison's Raybestos Lumina (for most of the year anyway...)

For 1993, Raybestos left the Allison team and joined the Stavolas, further clouding the distinction between the two teams. Sterling Marlin was indeed the driver of the Stavola T-Bird that year. Meineke Mufflers sponsored Allison's team, which had also switched to Thunderbirds in the last few races of 1992, and Jimmy Spencer was named the driver.

In 1994 and 1995, Jeff Burton drove the Stavola cars, while Chuck Bown and Derrike Cope piloted Allison's cars.

One final link between the teams happened in 1996, as Stricklin was named the driver of the Stavola's cars. By this time, however, both the Stavola and Allison teams had fallen into the category of "also rans," and neither would see the end of the decade.

Until this model was posted, I never really gave much consideration to how closely the two teams paralleled each other. However, at least to my knowledge, they always operated separately from each other.

Now that I've written a novel, let me say that you've done a very impressive job with this model. The early 90s are a time I'm very passionate about (can you tell? lol), and I love to see cars from this era built. Even more impressive is the fact that you used the kit decals. I always found them thick and hard to work with, but your model is outstanding! Keep up the good work!

Edited by Rob Spires

Thanks for the added info Rob. I too love the late '80's-early '90's period. Saw my first race "in person" at Dover in 1984 and I was hooked for life. Man, I'll never forget the STP Petty blue/flourescent red #43 or being close to the fence on the front straight when Harry Gant went by at 180+. What a rush!

• 1 year later...

Nice job Bruce, Clean and tighty work.

Thanks for the info Rob. I enjoy the stories from beck then. I myself was introduced to NASCAR in 1990 and spent the whole decade at Dover both in the spring and fall. Best times of racing for me. After the cars changed I believe the sport did too and I have since drifted away. I miss seeing all those old florescent cars gleaming in the sun too. My favorite part is when they fire up those engines and you could smell the exhaust coming from pit road, and then to watch the warm up laps while all the cars looked mint before the 500 lap show down. I really liked the track better when it was asphalt and 500 miles. I think the racing changed when they went to concrete and lost credibility with me as the "Monster Mile" when they cut it to 400 miles. You just don't see the good side by side battling anymore.

Mark, to be honest I have no idea what blue I used! I don't keep notes (I should). I know it was metallic and in a rattle can. I built this back in the early 90's.

Bill, you're right in that Dover just isn't the same since they made it concrete. 500 miles was a grueling test of man (person) and machine back then and it's lost something being shortened. I get the whole TV thing and short attention spans these days but it just ain't the same!