Model Cars Magazine Forum

Desert Scale Classic shoe in Phx

The latest Desert Scale Classic show and contest was held this last Sat the 16th in Phx AZ. I attended and entered several models and won a 3rd place in the Diorama class. I am so happy that I won as there were several large Dioramas entered with stunning details and construction. My friend Brad Norgaard won second place. My entry was picked by the magazine to be photographed by Darryl. Hope to see it in the magazine some day. There were so many great models there it took hours to see and examine them all. The host club-- The Cactus Car Modelers with the help of the Moonlight Modelers club put on a fine, excellent, well ran show, like always. I thank them all for the best show I have been to, since the last one. It was sad to hear that Darryl Gassaway will retire from the traveling to the show and not be there to take photographs for the magazine. With your spare time now, can we expect to see more of your fine builds in the magazine?

The clubs and the modelers will miss him. Thank you Darryl for the many years you were here. After the show most of the members and friends went to Hals house after the show for a back yard Bar-B-Que and club meeting with a club members contest. Thank you Hal, from Speedworld in Surprise AZ, for the hospitality and food. Dan Baker was the cook and he was very busy next to that hot grill. Thank you Dan. You cook as good as you build models. But the flame decals on the buns was a bit much. LOL I can't wait till next year, the show will be in April again on Sat the 21st. If you are in the Phx area then please stop by at the Postal Workers Social Hall at 35th Ave and Greenway and check out the models and the many friendly venders, spent money there myself, and the fellowship of brothers in building models. All spectators are free. There is also a Make and Take for the kids. This years model was a snap '57 Chevy and I saw several fine builds the kids did. Most of the kids didn't put the models down but carried them with them all day. Thank you Model Car Magazine for all the help and promotion of this great show. I am already planning my entries for next year. Now to build them. Patrick Mitchell

Of course I meant to say Show not shoe. Sorry about that. I hunt and peck type and sometimes make some bad mistakes. I won't blame that mistake on my dyslexia but I could, just wrong typing. Couldn't find a place to change the word. Thank you for the understanding. Patrick Mitchell

• 5 months later...

And don't forget ... GoodGuys Southwest Nationals on Nov. 18-19-20 at Westworld in Scottsdale ... and IPMS Modelzona on Nov 5 in Mesa at the Commemorative Air Force Museum! Two of the three great Phoenix-area events to tide you over til next April!!