Model Cars Magazine Forum

seems like I use a lot of #11 blades on BMF...

Hey Gang,

Just curious if you use a lot of #11 blades with your BMF projects. I seem to have really gotten the hang of the foil, (yippee :huh: ) but seem to use a lot of blades in the process, average 2-4 cuts per blade, then need new one. Tried using a couple of different handles at first, now I just hold the blade with my fingertips, trying to use the lightest pressure I can, and make the most delicate cuts I can, but still.... Save the ones I used on the foil for general work, have a plastic film can filling up quick with blades, is there a way to sharpen them? They are still good for many other uses, but once dulled by the foil, well, I guess that's all the cuts it can make. I tried the "sharpening stone" that came with a knife set I got, mixed results, maybe get one more pass out of a blade, but that's all. Seems to me someone posted something about a sharpener awhile back, but can't find the topic.

Any help is appreciated, and as always, thanks to those who care to reply, I'm sure I am not the only one getting a huge collection of used blades from foiling!!

Mike

The sharpener will not give a burr free edge for BMF. I to use the fingertip method, but seem to get more kuts per blade. I use excell bulk blades, just did this 47....thats a lot of foil..3 blades, the Impala also took 3 blades..I use new blades for the foiling, then use them for building

IMG_2103.jpg

IMG_1697.jpg

There was/is a sharpener for #11 blades(and maybe others ).It was called the EDJER and I remember reading a review that said it worked well. I sharpen mine with an extra fine diamond file.Seems to work.does anyone remember the #11's sold by Testor's? Those were great.They were made from a blue spring steel and really held an edge. ;)

There was/is a sharpener for #11 blades(and maybe others ).It was called the EDJER and I remember reading a review that said it worked well. I sharpen mine with an extra fine diamond file.Seems to work.does anyone remember the #11's sold by Testor's? Those were great.They were made from a blue spring steel and really held an edge. :D

and almost never broke the tip off either. I have used my strop and diamond block and it works well....just not worth the time, with the lousy steel that doesn't hold an edge. Even bulk razor blades are softer and softer ;):(

You can always try the Squadron scapel blades . Much thinner and a whole lot sharper then your average # 11 blade , half as thick also ! Provides a whisper cut with little or no pressure .

All you have to do is clip the back off of the blade body with a pair of side cutters and it will slip into a # 11 knife body without a problem . Mark the tip of the blade with a black marker , it allows you to follow the blade's travel much easier .

Donn Yost

I use BMF pretty infrequently, but I always use a brandy-new blade when I apply it. After being 'retired' from BMF duty, a #11 gets a good long life as a general hobby blade; I'm pretty sure the blades in my two X-Acto handles have been in there at least a couple of years.

After a blade has become less than optimal for general hobby use, I keep them for putty application. Cheapo emery boards make for quick cleanup of those.

The sharpener will not give a burr free edge for BMF. I to use the fingertip method, but seem to get more kuts per blade. I use excell bulk blades, just did this 47....thats a lot of foil..3 blades, the Impala also took 3 blades..I use new blades for the foiling, then use them for building

IMG_2103.jpg

IMG_1697.jpg

I use the Excel blades too. I have had Testors and Exacto brand #11 blades on hand for 6 or 7 years but don't use them...I keep buying the Excel cuz they are waaayyyy sharper. I don't recall needing to change(or sharpen) Excel blades in the middle of A BMF session either.

BTW Nice builds Stasch

Holy cow, MIke! I haven't changed my blade in probably 20 builds, maybe more. Every once in a while I'll put the blade to a whetstone and sharpen it up. Send your used blaeds this way and I'll keep using them for a few years.

Crazyjim

I agree, one blade lasts a very long time. I keep a special blade just for bare metal and sharpen it before each use. I used to have a flat ceramic and stone sharpener but the ceramic rods in the holder are so easy to use I don’t even get the flat stone out any more.

Brian

I used a new blade for this 60 Starliner and it's still cutting like the first time I used it. Perhaps I'm just thinking it's still as sharp.

Not certain what is dulling your blades prematurely. I use the blade only in my hand with no handle attached. It allows me precise control. I read that another here was using this method so I tried it on this car and the results bear it out. Considering how much foiling needed to be done I was still able to do it [after four 1 hour sessions] with consistent results.

xe4u2f.jpg

I believe this blade still has at least another trim heavy car in it. Perhaps even two.

Bob

IMG_2103.jpg

IMG_1697.jpg

Awesome foiling job on both, love the 47 that is one awesome kit and you did it justice. Keep up the good work!

• 2 weeks later...

I use a sharpening stone (below blade), this testors blade has completed five builds four of which had BMF and I have two build on the bench; and still cuts like butter.

How do you get the correct angle on the blade edge?

How do you get the correct angle on the blade edge?

Practice, and don't let the blades get too worn out that way the edge angle is still there to guide you, also use a fine stone as you don't need to remove much material to get the sharp edge back.

Practice, and don't let the blades get too worn out that way the edge angle is still there to guide you, also use a fine stone as you don't need to remove much material to get the sharp edge back.

Thanks Justin-will do.

Hmm i dont understand how you guys use so much blades. I use one for the heavy work and a completly different one for foiling. They last me atleast 3 builds before i swap them out.

Same with me. I get a lot more life out of my blades. Oh well... can't complain! :lol:

Forgive me if this has been asked. I skipped over many posts and hit the reply button when it occured to me that maybe you are using kitchen foil and calling it by the brand name Bare Metal Foil (BMF). Kitchen foil eats blades. I don't have a solution for you if this is the case.

Hey Gang,

For what it is worth, I have been using BMF, the ultra-bright chrome, and yes, there are adhesion issues with that. But onto the blades, I guess whatever I was using was cheap blades, because I got a pack of 100 Excel blades online, and usage went up 1000%. I just touch up with the stone when they seem to be getting dull, and good to go again. The other ones were from about 15-16 years ago, wrapped in white paper with no name on them, so that could have been a lot of my problem. Thanks to all that have replied!!

Mike

I was going to ask what brand you were using- I tried the Revell blades, and wasn't too thrilled with how long they lasted. With the Exacto brand blades, I can foil about ten cars before it's time to switch to a fresh one. I usually keep one new, fresh blade specifically for foil work, and once it gets dull, that blade becomes my 'general purpose' blade when the current general purpose blade in the handle gets dull.

Edited by Chuck Most