Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best place to buy kits?

52 members have voted

1. 1. Best place to buy kits

• Hobby Lobby
    • Internet
    • Local store

Here in the Spokane area the best place to buy kits is a place called The White Elephant. They have two locations and are much cheaper than anywhere else around here. They have a great selection and each store carries a little different variety. They had the Testors One Coat Lacquer paints earlier this winter for $2.99!!

Later-

I don't really know if I'd consider it the best place to buy kits, but the place I prefer to buy my kits are from my three wonderful local hobby shops. I have always been the type that I would like to look at what I buy before I actually purchase it, and I also know who is getting my money. I have dealt with all three for many years, know all the owners by name and they know me by name, and if I see something I REALLY have to have, they have no problem of putting the kit or kits back and holding them until I can afford them. They also bend over backwards to find something if I can't find it and don't want to buy it on the internet. I also just found that one of them, which just so happens to be the only one who carries MCM, will also hold new magazines until I can get there to buy them. I'll never miss another issue of MCM again! :lol:

I buy from all three sources listed.

There are some Hobbytown USA locations near me and in cities I travel to with my job.

I am always looking for a hobby shop when I am on the road and lately have found a few Hobbytown stores that have a good selection. Their prices aren't the best but when compared to buying online and shipping, it is a wash for me. Besides, then the wife doesn't see more models arrive on the doorstep!

There are fewer LHS near me but the ones that are seem to cater to the R/C crowd. I usually find them as a good source for scratchbuilding supplies and paint.

Hobby Lobby is great for their coupons but they seem to be a few months behind when it comes to new releases. I have found some deals on display cases and snap kits.

I go to Big 4 hobbies in Plainfield Indiana. That is the same reason I don't have a subscription to Model Cars, it gives me areason to go to the hobby shop.

I like Big 4 Hobbies as I usually stop there whenever I'm in the Indy area. It's a really good shop and well stocked and also carries a lot of aftermarket items too.

Here in the Spokane area the best place to buy kits is a place called The White Elephant. They have two locations and are much cheaper than anywhere else around here. They have a great selection and each store carries a little different variety. They had the Testors One Coat Lacquer paints earlier this winter for $2.99!!

Later-

Second the White Elephant in Spokane. I have been buying kits there since I was 8 or 9 years old. I used to save up my change and jump on the bus!

Picked up a Revell 56 chevy today - $11.98. I also like B and B in Spokane - big selection but more expensive than the Elephant.

As said before I like the 'out of production" kits so Evilbay works for me. I just joined a Model club and have been to 3 contests. I am really liking buying from those vendors - Great guys and Its great getting to meet and talk about kits - most are a wealth of knowledge. I am really thinking that this will be new source of kits. Its a lot more fun than getting beat out on your bid !!!!!!!. So far I am finding any kit that I would want and usually for less than 15.00 and no shipping --- LOL.

great lakes hobby&toy if they dont got it u dont need it ha ha !seriously though youed be supprised they buy out peoples collections old models,old slot cars,old tonka & mettal toys,trains old toys every thing but R/C stuff???? prices reflect internet 13.00 to 25.00 4 readly avaibil kits.60.00 to 250.00 4 jo-han`s but the newer jo -han styls like the shirley shanan AMX&s/c scrambler with out decals?25.00 mpc`s 79 & older start at 60.00 junk bin varays usally 5.00 2 12.00 good sorce 4 me lot of chasies & roll cages.a local trader and this great trading post is all i deal with so far.but im fixen to start checkin out another local Ian from royal oak makes some good looking mopar parts.wish he`d gear up and try 2 make some body`s 4 just as good of prices.this place is much better than KY.back in KY 2.5 hour drive 2 either source after wallmart took a poo on me?ha ha!no internet where i was or cell pretty bad! drive over 3 hills 2 work 45min`s no problem as long as u had Appilation wireless???????way 2 expensive.went 2 lexington or ashland every 3 months giggle ha ha!its like im rich in 10min`s i can walk 2 find a new model wish it was easyer 4 me 2 walk though ha ha!gettin old suck`s well Q rambilin happie modlin to all an god bless

I buy my stuff at Hobbyland in Graceland Mall in Columbus Ohio. Mike, the manager is a great guy and bends over backwards to get stuff for you when you need it and he doesn't have it in stock. Plus, he's kinda funny, has a great sence of humor, as does his employees. Plus, on Friday nights we get to hang out and either shoot the breeze or build models until the store closes. :lol: Dan

Dennis at Model Express is fantastic.....much quicker than Tower...He is my LHS.....1200 miles away..and no road trip needed!!:huh::lol:

and Hobby Lobby is coming to Fort Myers soon.....:lol:

Only 2 people I buy from my local shop (a excellent one at that) new kits and supplies, and buy my old kits and aftermarket doo-dads from Dennis at Model Express.

Nick

It has been quite awhile since I bought a rather large order but t the end of next month I will purchase a large number of kits from jimnohio.

Mine is gonna be an indoor flea market called the fleamart, its a store that people rent spots to sell flea market type stuff and there are a few that sell really nice old kits for 10.00-15.00 each. Have found some odd and out of production stuff there from time to time, after that its hobby lobby with the 40 off but they keep the same old kits there not changed up much as my only other local hobby shops (2) are pretty pricy on the kits. For an example a 1/25th kit averages 22.95 each.

I go to Big 4 hobbies in Plainfield Indiana. That is the same reason I don't have a subscription to Model Cars, it gives me areason to go to the hobby shop.

I go there, too, when I'm in Indy. I also go to the Hobbytowns in Greenwood and Castleton while I'm there. Since I don't have a hobbyshop in Danville anymore, I usually go over to Champaign IL to Slot & Wing (old line hobbyshop dating back to the '60s) and the Hobby Lobby and Micheals. Slot & Wing is pretty good place to find oop kits and odd stuff, plus they have a "scratch and dent" section, which is good for finding donor kits cheap. Sometimes, they're missing parts, but I've found several kits from there that simply had a damaged or opened box. Best deals I've got from there were a Fujimi GT-R full detail for $15, and a pair of Haseawa VW Type 2s (pickup and panel van) both for $3 apeice.