Model Cars Magazine Forum

How do you build a satsh of parts????

I have only been back building models for about a year now.

There have been times when I would have liked to add, spotlights or change the engine to something else.

How do I build up this stash of parts without buying and cannibalizing the kit?

I build mostly 1940 to 1969 cars and trucks.

Dumb question I know but I am curious.

Jeeze Don, I got tons of stuff just accumulated from years of building. That's how most of us older guys did it. But you could look on the Bay, or Craigs list to see if guys are selling their stashes. To be honest with you, THAT'S probably your best bet. :P:D;)

I have only been back building models for about a year now.

There have been times when I would have liked to add, spotlights or change the engine to something else.

How do I build up this stash of parts without buying and cannibalizing the kit?

I build mostly 1940 to 1969 cars and trucks.

Dumb question I know but I am curious.

Well, you need to do what you said you don't want to do! Buy several kits, and occasionally cannibalize them. I also scout out yard sales and flea markets. Even if the subject doesn't interest me, if I can buy it cheap, odds are there is something in there I can use. cannibalizing, also known as kitbashing, doesn't seem so wasteful if you use an entire engine or other major part(s). If I use wheels from a different kit, it's not really ruined... I can always build it with wheels from elsewhere. Even if you only have 3 kits, you can still do this. Give it a try!

Don, you can get a large parts stash fast by buying a "junkyard" or two from eBay. Do a saved search in your "my eBay" by going to the category: Toys & Hobbies > Models & Kits > Junkyard. You'll get emails daily, find a lot that suits your needs/pricepoint, and start your parts stash! :D

A lot of mine has come from buying the 2-3n1 kits and keeping the leftovers. Back when kits were cheap,I would buy them just for the parts. Haven't done that in years though. I also accumulate a lot of parts when I build a kit as a curbside (hood glued shut,no engine or chassis detail)

I keep all of my optional engines, exhausts, wheels, hoods, etc. Also, I keep anything salvageable if I have a model that is reasonably beyond my repair. You will be amazed how fast you get tons of spare parts just by doing this. I just keep a couple extra kit boxes and fill them with all the left overs. Also, I have started keeping all my kit instructions and left over decals in zip lock bags.

Edited by Skydime

Like others have said; get builtups or "junk yards" from ebay or swap meets. Also don't be afraid to buy a kit for parts. I bought a Porsche 911 kit to get wheels, tires, and seats for another project. If I had bought all those parts from the aftermarket, I would have spent as much, but now I have the rest of the 911 to raid in the future.

Also, I have started keeping all my kit instructions and left over decals in zip lock bags.

I do that too. I went the dollar store and bought a 3 inch three ring binder and some plastic dividers. I now keep parts catalogs, order forms, instructions, my parts box inventory sheet all in one thing. I seperate the instructions by type of model; etc; Hot Rod, Muscule Car, Drag Racer.

All in one spot! :)

(Don't tell anybody but I have been know to buy a Revell Charger just for the water pump....)

Edited by Master Modeller

Pretty much what everyone elseis saying. And heres somgood news, after raiding a kit for the parts You like, and You want,....put the rest in a baggie,or whatever. And take them to a show,and sell them or trade them. Remember one man's trash,is another mans treasure. Or list them on Ebay or Craigs list.

I rarely use parts from unbuilt kits for a different project. I have been known to build something to get the leftovers for a future project...

But I save all the leftovers as I go, and over the last four decades, that has created a bunch of parts I often can't find when I want them.

So I just scratch-build instead of looking. Seems more productive, and once I make what I need, I find what I was looking for without trying.

The same technique works for finding dropped/lost parts...

im pretty much gonna say the same as above. lols a lot of the new kits come with extras or sometimes you'll want to use a resin part instead of a OE part from the kit. go to yard sales, thrift stores and model car shows. you'll often find some things that you might use later on or find that someone here needs what you have and vise versa

sucks i didnt know that someone would buy/trade the left over parts from my old kits. i had a small box i emptied out prior to getting on forums.

Resin casting, it is not very cost effective for single use items, but is great for those uncommon items you would like many of. I've done that for things like police radios, flathead heads (since they dropped the stock heads in the 1950 pickup reissues), interesting wheels etc.

Not really a stockpiling technique but I have found kits that allow an even swap, one example is the 1959 ElCamino and the 1960 Chevy pickup. The Elcamino has a 348 V-8 and the pickup has an inline 6. Those engines were available in both trucks, so getting both allows me to build a pickup with a V-8 without leaving the El Camino a curbside. A lot of the older AMT kits included 2 or more motors, usually one stock, and one custom so the value of this varies by your interests.

i did like most here, i built kits then either destroyed the bodies or messed up so bad something couldnt be saved(ive gotten alot better at not doing that!!) so those kits became parts, i weighed my current stash, it weighs in at about 12 lbs.!!!! oh and ive been at it for around 2 years now.

I'm pretty much with the herd here, Don. I've bought and cannibalized kits sometimes just for the tires or an engine, I've got 6 of the AMT Pro Street Coronets on the shelf right now to prove it! :lol: I also save the optional parts from the 3 in 1 kits or just any optional parts I don't use, and also bought the occasional built up or rebuilder kit for parts. I've also gotten some in the way Greg mentioned, people that I know that know I build and have kits maybe they bought to "dabble" in the hobby or just stuff they had extra and didn't want sitting around. You'd be surprised how much you can get for little or no investment! I even had a friend I worked with give me an old trailer model he had from about 20 years ago and never touched, and the only payment he wanted was for me to enjoy it! :lol:

The best I could probably add to what everyone else has said here is this, don't be afraid to post a wanted ad here if there is a piece you really need or want for a build. For example, you mentioned spotlights in your opening post, and that is one detail on older hot rods and lead sleds I just don't care for, so I'm sure I would have some floating in the parts box. Well, if I didn't use it on a big rig, police car, or tow truck! :lol:

Pretty much what they have said, also 2in1 and 3in1 kits are really good.

Ive got all my spare parts from a neighbor that gave them to me plus kits. And I just bought 9 and two built for $40 which included 4 or 5 sets of pegasus rims and 5 paint pens part, it came from craigs list

Ive been building models on and off for about 20 years, so alot of the parts in my parts stash come from old build that I held onto. Alot of them also come from build that I got so frustrated with that I wanted to throw across the room...come to think of it....a couple I did. I also have a couple that the dog decided tasted good while I was at work. Biggest though...save all of your extra parts, they'll build up pretty quick. Also be on the lookout for everyday stuff that "looks like" it could be used on a build. You'll have a huge stash in no time.

I rarely use parts from unbuilt kits for a different project. I have been known to build something to get the leftovers for a future project...

But I save all the leftovers as I go, and over the last four decades, that has created a bunch of parts I often can't find when I want them.

So I just scratch-build instead of looking. Seems more productive, and once I make what I need, I find what I was looking for without trying.

The same technique works for finding dropped/lost parts...

Truer words were never spoken. You create a part to replace a missing part, and just as you finish that scratchbuilt part, the lost kit part just reappears out of thin air...