Model Cars Magazine Forum

hey i got a 1993 ford f-150 amt truck long bed. i wanted it becouse i own a 1996 f-150 but as a 4x4 the model kit came as a 2 wheel drive. i was just strolling threw ebay. and looking didnt see anything but does anyone know of there being a kit or aftermarket item to make it a 4x4 front suspention ? i wanna make this model look as much as my truck as poosable. also i have a diffrent bumper on mine then what came with the model any ideas on a place to llook for aftermarket option in pick-up trucks

gary

I don't know if this would help or not, because I don't really recall any aftermarket casters making the Dana 44 IFS found in the later F150, but you could maybe try adding a differential center to the drivers side arm from the kit. Another possiblilty is use the front axle from the Revell/Monogram or AMT (and I think old MPC) early 80s Bronco. That would also supply you with the transfer case and front driveshaft. I know the Revell/Monogram kit has an IFS style axle in the front, which is strange since it has front leaf springs, and you would still have to figure out a way to make the correct late model IFS arms.

As for the bumper, I'm guessing you are taking about the front bumper, and I'm also guessing the difference between the kit and your 1:1 is the black rub strip found on the kit's bumper. That is an easy fix, just sand the rub strip off the kit bumper and you'll have the plain front bumper you probably have on the 1:1. After you have it sanded, just either use some BMF, Alclad, or even some aluminum foil (shiny side up if course :lol: ) applied with some spray craft glue or even some of the shiny metal duct tape to restore the chrome finish. Another alternative is also DupliColor Chrome spray paint, even though like all chrome paints, you don't get a true chrome finish. The DupliColor is the closest to actual chrome I have found in the automotive or craft chrome paints, though. If you want it to look just like the kit chrome, send it out to one of the aftermarket chrome platers.

I hope this might help at least a little. :lol:

your close but no. i got a eddie burre model and the bumper does have strip but it has two holes in the center a rectange shape hole. i mean its no big deal but, the 4x4 is what i wanna change. and i did think of getting a dana rear and cutting it to shape( the axles) with the 2 wheel drive cross beams and making it work that way so i'll have to exsplore looking for them broncco kits!

If you want accurate, use the AMT Bronco, since it has a more detailed TTB setup, though you will have to fab the brackets. If you don't want to fab anything, use the Monogram Bronco suspension since it's all one piece.

Edited by Jordan White

your close but no. i got a eddie burre model and the bumper does have strip but it has two holes in the center a rectange shape hole.

Oh, I know which bumper you mean now! I think they used that style on the diesel equipped trucks, too. It should look like this one.

54823-GGF921BL1.jpg

I also found this pic that might help you for the front axle detail, too. :D

wmfront-ttb.jpg

The AMT or MPC Bronco would give you the best front suspension for your model. The Monogram Bronco is 1/24 which would make it too wide,but you could narrow it by simply cutting the stubs off of the wheelbacks to narrow the track. Even with the Revell TTB (which is 1/25),you could still use your radius arms and coils from your 2wd kit I would think.

The front bumper with the rectangular holes in it must have only came with the LWB. The Lightning and Flareside came with solid bumpers,but have the rubber strip also. I have the LWB built,but haven't looked at it in years. Try putting up a wanted ad for your parts. Someone may have them rattling around in a box.

The LWB kit has the same bumper as the Lightning, Flareside, and SWB kits. The bumper on the Eddie Bauers is in fact the same as the diesel trucks. Also, for '96 all trucks and Broncos came with the diesel bumper. Instead of making multiple bumper types, they made just the diesel one that year since they were getting ready to produce the new body style for '97. I'm building a replica if my 1:1 '94 and I used the Monogram parts since i had them laying around. I grafted on the spindles from the AMT 2wd suspension so the wheel mounting points would stay the same. This also allowed the use of the AMT radius arms. I also added some bits of aluminum stock to replicate the 4x4 front hubs. I added a decal of a Warn hub to the end, since I swapped them for the automatic hubs on my real truck. I also made my own coil springs and added some parts box shocks since mine has the quad shock option. No, my truck does not have an oil leak, but the position of the oil filter makes it near impossible to not spill it when I change oil.

model190.jpg

model198.jpg

Edited by Casey429