Model Cars Magazine Forum

wilson hopper bottom

here is some photos of my wilson hopper trailer. i just started this is the first part of it. the hoppers section long way to go. this is first coat of paint to help get idea where im at and to what sanding and feeling needs done. i've never scrached built anything so im verry happy with what i got so far. it will get a out skin to it so what you see now is to help strenthing the model. one part you'll see the hevey puddy keeps cracking im going to sand it. glue once more then paint im tired of chasing it, and im thinging ouf putting fine cracked corn in it anyhow to make it look loaded. not sure but either way tired of chashing one crack so any pointed would be welcomed. please leave all comments good and bad tell me what you think!

http://s1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb409/dabelltoller1/wilson%20trailer/

Looks like your off to a good start... What are you using??? Looks like aluminum soldered...

no its just plastic styrne sheets glued together and any larger gaps got white putty over them. once spot was was just fine but when i apply pressure it just cracks back open so if thats the only problem i have( i'll be putting a bolsa wood in it and to make it only half loaded to look like a full load of corn) and or the tarp will be on it and the better details are looking great on the outside!! so i hate giving up on one flaw but i dont wanna destroy what i've done so far. becouse of it

i take your aluminum soldered as a complement . but like i said styrne sheets and rustolum metallica alumminum paint. btw im not liking the shinny ness of this paint so im not sure if i wanna go to a light grey, or what. well see what i feel once im ready to do the outer skins !

no its just plastic styrne sheets glued together and any larger gaps got white putty over them. once spot was was just fine but when i apply pressure it just cracks back open so if thats the only problem i have( i'll be putting a bolsa wood in it and to make it only half loaded to look like a full load of corn) and or the tarp will be on it and the better details are looking great on the outside!! so i hate giving up on one flaw but i dont wanna destroy what i've done so far. becouse of it

i take your aluminum soldered as a complement . but like i said styrne sheets and rustolum metallica alumminum paint. btw im not liking the shinny ness of this paint so im not sure if i wanna go to a light grey, or what. well see what i feel once im ready to do the outer skins !

Again, looks like a great start!!! living in OH. the grain haulers I have seen here are all the really pretty ones all shiny and polished up, have seen a few in bright white also... Don't give up on it either, I would really like to see how this turns out...

I believe he means you can see that you put lots of work into it. It does look good so far.

I know I know....... i just felt humbled in that comment and i like to joke around alot. only problem with type is sometimes you can show your emotion in the print !!!

thanks guys.

one quesstion i got is at every joint and seem wilson applies ummm almost and appoxy of sorts to seal joints. i was wondering how i would go about getting that affect. I feel it would really hide alot of the lines. well not hide but give it more of a welded line look i thought of just appling glue and smoothing out and painting over. it give it. i seen that in some of the places in hiding area where i tried it !

Again, looks like a great start!!! living in OH. the grain haulers I have seen here are all the really pretty ones all shiny and polished up, have seen a few in bright white also... Don't give up on it either, I would really like to see how this turns out...

Hey Rob

Can you post some photo's of those dressed out grain hauler's.

hey everyone, just added some new pics of the trailer ! the sides are on all the way around. also put on a custom rear suspention. as you can see in some of the photos the gaps in the right angles when sides come together. that gets covered with angle iron. so that will be hidden later. also the space at bottom of side skins gets a channel put in too! hope you like still a long way to go! but i must say it looks like a hopper bottom and not a tanker or a reefer so im doing something right!!!