Model Cars Magazine Forum

Air Compressor

If you were going to buy an air compressor from Harbor Freight which would you buy?

3 gal oilless

No tank quiet

Complete kit

The last one I know has an airbrush but I won't count on using it.

Would like to pair with a good single action airbrush possible a Paasche H series.

Thanks for your opinions.

Edited by Canuk

I got one at Cosco years ago with a 3 gal tank, seems to take care of any moisture problems. Not quiet or small and handy but also is a good all round bench compressor and will re-inflate my car tires!

Edited by DanielG

If you were going to buy an air compressor from Harbor Freight which would you buy?

3 gal oilless

No tank quiet

Complete kit

Would like to pair with a good single action airbrush possible a Paasche H series.

Paul,

I have the second one on your list (no tank quiet). I've had it for four years with no problems. Most all compressors have the same warranties these days and Bearair, TCP Global and others sell virtually the same compressors. When I bought mine at Harbor Freight, I paid and additional $20 for a two year free replacement warranty that I did not have to use. Buy it with confidence.

3 gal oilless

No tank quiet

Complete kit

I have the 3 Gal type i bought at Walmart. had it for over 10 years now . It is a little noisy but shut of while using it and with the regulator on it saves some cost. I like it because the tank allow you o spray a littl longer before the compressor kicks on. tried on similar to the others and didn't like the pulsing. it was a badger and it did last me over a year before it gave up. spent twice as much money for it as well

I vote also for getting one with a storage tank! I live in a duplex, so I'm very cognizant about making too much noise late at night for the people next door as they have two kids under five. I try to get the tanks full of air during the day when they're up and about-------if I want to paint something at night, it doesn't wake up the whole house next door.

Here's a pic of the one I use..........got a real neat deal on it from a club member------only paid $65 for it! B)

P8051837-vi.jpg

Only complaint is that when it's running.........it is LOUD!! Loud enough so that if you're not expecting it to come on, the sudden loud noise could give you a heart attack! :blink:

I vote also for getting one with a storage tank! I live in a duplex, so I'm very cognizant about making too much noise late at night for the people next door as they have two kids under five. I try to get the tanks full of air during the day when they're up and about-------if I want to paint something at night, it doesn't wake up the whole house next door.

Here's a pic of the one I use..........got a real neat deal on it from a club member------only paid $65 for it! B)

P8051837-vi.jpg

Only complaint is that when it's running.........it is LOUD!! Loud enough so that if you're not expecting it to come on, the sudden loud noise could give you a heart attack! :blink:

Easy to find these for "nailers"...loud, quick, cheap at the pawn shop....$25.00 :P

I bought a tankless,oilless compressor from Bear air, it is they're own brand. It's is built from components of the top brands. It is quiet and only runs when you trigger your airbrush. I have a Paasche H , Badger 200, an Aztec 709, and a Harbor Freight. They all work well on this compressor, just make sure whatever you buy you get a moisture trap. Nothing is worse than water in your paint except maybe dust, or a bug or cat hair or... you get the idea. B)