Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Primer

It seems that the Tamiya primer is sold out, or out of stock everywhere. My local supplier said there are some issues with its labeling? Seems to include the Tamiya X-20A Acrylic thinner too. I use both of these products a lot. Anyone hear anything on about when they will be available again?? Seen a few on EBay going for RIDICULOUS prices.

unfortunately you may be right about not getting it back into the USA market again, hopefully that won't happen. i am down to my last can of grey and ive run out of white!

but i have to differ about the plastikote, not in the same league at all, unfortunately, because it sure is cheaper!

Thanks everyone... I did perform a search on this subject..to no avail. Isn't the PlastiKote primer enamel? And can you use lacquer over it? I really am not too fond of the enamels anymore. Pretty much all are packed away in a drawer. I just used some gray enamel primer on my T Bolt, that, I had lying around, and I just got finished stripping it all off with oven cleaner. After it sat all day, it was still tacky to the touch. I think I might just pay more money for the Tamiya on Ebay now.

Anyone hear anything about the Tamiya X-20A thinner? That stuff seems like it fell off the earth too.

Tamiya is telling distributors to expect the revised primers and thinners etc. to start hitting later this month, and some will be in May. Just be patient, it will be back.

Floquil makes some nice figure primers, you can use those. Gunze/Mr. Hobby makes great hobby primers Mr. Surfacer 500, 1000, 1200, some in bottles, some in spray cans. I have been using a jar of Mr. Surfacer 1000 and love it. Thinned w/Mr. Color Thinner (same basic stuff as Tamiya lacquer thinner), it goes on smoother than Tamiya primer from a spray can....so even though I'll be able to soon restock on the Tamiya spray bombs, I will be using them less now that I'm so happy w/the Mr. Hobby alternatives.

Haven't seen Plastikote primer in ages. Don't really miss it.

Thanks Bob. Yea, after looking into the Ebay Tamiya primer, I would be paying almost $50.00 for 4 tall cans shipped. Not only that, they are coming from Hong Kong. The heck with that!!!! The stuff would most likely be back on shelves before the overseas stuff arrives. It looks like its time to just ride it out, till it becomes available again. Thanks everyone for the input.

Edited by Brutalform

Isn't the PlastiKote primer enamel? And can you use lacquer over it?

No, Plasti-Kote is lacquer. I've used Plasti-Kote for a very long time and have always been quite pleased. I recently tried the white primer for the first time, and I was shocked. It went on so smoothly, I almost didn't have to sand it.

Plasti-Kote can be found at CarQuest stores, and other auto parts stores from time to time. Depending on your store's pricing policy, a can runs $6-10.

Charlie Larkin

• 3 weeks later...

While doing some spring cleaning in my garage today, I picked up some Christmas ornament boxes that had been on a workbench since...well, Christmas. Guess what I found under them? Two 46ml bottles of Tamiya acrilic thinner! I thought I hit the jackpot! I hooped and hollered, my wife thinks I need help. Don't care, I've got the last two bottles in the US.

Glad to hear that but... About three years ago a local hobby shop closed. The owner had an "invitation only" clearance sale. Seeing as how the store was less than two blocks away, I was there very early the day of the sale and was the first in the store. I was able to purchase his entire stock of Tamiya spray primer, 12 cans of gray, 10 cans of white, for pennies on the dollar. I have more than half of them left so I am set until/if it returns to the US!

Tamiya USA released this statement on Feb 4 regarding the primers and other products:

"Tamiya America released a statement on Thursday concerning its efforts to update some of its products to comply with U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission standards. This is reflected mostly in label updates and not a reformulation of products.

In the release, Tamiya says it recognizes and understands that distributors and retailers are having difficulties getting certain products, but is working as quickly as it can to bring all of its products into compliance. Items currently in the process of relabelling include:

Tamiya Acrylic Paint (813XX, 817XX, 815XX and 810XX); Tamiya Putty (87053 and 87095); Tamiya Cements (87012 and 87038); Tamiya Thinners (81520, 81020, 81030, 81040 and 87077); Tamiya Primers (87026, 87042, 87044, 87061, 87064, 87075 and 87096)

The anticipated re-release date for these products is April 2011.

Fred Medel, head of marketing for Tamiya America said that there will be a large backorder to fill when the supply line is back to 100%."

Should be available soon...

I was recently at Home Depot and saw that the Valspar line is being heavily promoted.They have a primer that I decided to give a try.I primed (white) several spoons and let dry overnight and then sprayed with

Valspar black lacquer,Tamiya mica red, and a can of seafoam green from a company that sells on ebay called Ohio Valley Nitro,they market large spray cans of lacquer for refinishing guitars.

I flooded all the sprays on the Valspar primer and the only one that crazed was the Nitro. I used another spoon and applied the Nitro in light sprays like you would if doing a model and it was okay.

That concluded this test.Now i'll have to see how the primer does over a model in regards to covering detail etc.This paint was les than $4.00 a can.

Tamiya USA released this statement on Feb 4 regarding the primers and other products:

"Tamiya America released a statement on Thursday concerning its efforts to update some of its products to comply with U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission standards. This is reflected mostly in label updates and not a reformulation of products.

I find this statement to be a bit ridiculous. Sounds like Tamiya is targeted by the Government. Near where I live, they drill for natural gas, and ruin EVERYTHING they come into contact with, and I cant buy a can of primer????? Seems like that the Government could care less that flames shoot out of peoples drinking faucets, because of the Methane Gas, but, they are so concerned about fumes from a paint can??? Now, I also understand that a lot of people in our hobby are just youngsters, and things need to be right, as far as labeling goes...but I just wanted to comment though....

I was just in a Hobbytown USA and they had the Tamiya White putty but no primers. The owner said they should be getting the primers in some time this month, hopefully. He ranted a little about the CPSC label requirements as it didn't seem to affect the big cans of primers available at home centers or parts stores. It must be something about Tamiya as the ModelMaster wasn't affected.

Whatever the case, I like Bob Downie's idea of primer as it seems to be an economical solution. Gotta find some and try it!

Tom, where are located in PA? I agree with what you said about the gas people. I am in Montoursville and there are more white crew-cab pick-ups than you can imagine and most of them have only the driver in them. So much for energy conservation.

The people north of us, Liberty, Ralston, Canton and other small burgs complain about the quality of their water and the fear of contamination. And the constant stream of tanker trucks is also too much to contend with. It would be better if we somehow benefited from all this but it's said the the largest percentage of gas is earmarked for China.

Time to get off the soap box.

Again where are you from in PA?

My thoughts about Tamiya primers and the Tamiya company are thus:

Having been involved in the aerosol packaging industry some years ago,Tamiya should consider packaging

their sprays like the Japanese auto companies handled the "made in America" lobby. That is,ship all the components involved in their paints and sprays and get a few contract packagers to do the filling,labeling etc. I'd bet an airbrush that most of the supply problems would go away. :)

Tom, where are located in PA? I agree with what you said about the gas people. I am in Montoursville and there are more white crew-cab pick-ups than you can imagine and most of them have only the driver in them. So much for energy conservation.

The people north of us, Liberty, Ralston, Canton and other small burgs complain about the quality of their water and the fear of contamination. And the constant stream of tanker trucks is also too much to contend with. It would be better if we somehow benefited from all this but it's said the the largest percentage of gas is earmarked for China.

Time to get off the soap box.

Again where are you from in PA?

Not too far away in Wilkes Barre..Jerry. We are practically neighbors.

An email I JUST GOT from Tamiya USA......

Dear Tamiya Customer,

The targeted re-released date was May of 2011, but that date has been pushed

back and unfortunately we have no confirmed date at this time.

Thank you,

Tamiya America

Customer Service

Well, that pretty much sums it up.... :angry:

I didn't read everything but let me add this.

Tamiya is not only NOT the best, it is not important.

Duplicolor [in its many forms] not only gets the job done for EVERY color coat. It's cheaper and available.

Don't get suck into that hole.

The best advise i've given ever

Bob