Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1964 Ford Falcon hardtop

It's all your fault...talking about the Trumpeter Falcon kit. I had to get my AMT 1964 Falcon builder out of storage and go to work. Three years ago, I got this on Ebay. Missing a front bumper but otherwise complete.

1964Falcon1-vi.jpg

I deconstructed and stripped the paint soon after and was left with this.

100_1671-vi.jpg

Since last Thursday, April 21, I've shaved the emblems and scribed panel lines. The hood is from that resin caster formerly known as A/FX.

DSCN0684-vi.jpg

I filled and shaved the firewall and front screw posts on the radiator support.

DSCN0697-vi.jpg

I removed the molded-in single exhaust from the chassis as well as the verbal descriptions of the Falcon's features for 1964.

DSCN0691-vi.jpg

An AMT 1969 Torino Cobra kit will give up its exhaust system.

DSCN0692-vi.jpg

More to come...

Edited by Marc @ MPC Motorsports

I'll be using the original AMT engine block with upgrade parts (heads, valve covers, EFI, etc) from the Revell 1932 Ford five window coupe kit. I've filled the axle hole in the block and added the missing freeze plug detail.

DSCN0688-vi.jpg

DSCN0690-vi.jpg

The wheels were purchased on Ebay (diecast I think) with the fronts narrowed and fitted with Revell tuner tires.

DSCN0693-vi.jpg

DSCN0694-vi.jpg

DSCN0695-vi.jpg

I'm looking forward to comparing and contrasting the original with the various Trumpeter builds that will be going on here.

Enjoy!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Fresh out of the paint booth...

DSCN0702-vi.jpg

Testors Model Master lacquer Wimbledon White with a twist...two coats of Tamiya TS-65 Pearl Clear then three coats of Tamiya TS-13 Clear. You can't see the pearl in the pic but it is there. Just to be a little different. Wimbledon White is the perfect period color for a 1964-era Ford and the pearl brings it to the modern era. I sprayed the white over the weekend, then wetsanded it smooth and applied the clear tonight.

Enjoy!

Exhausting work!!! :rolleyes: Tonight I've been bending pipe for the exhaust system. Made the headpipes from styrene tubing with floral wire inside. The rest is from an AMT 1969 Torino Cobra kit.

DSCN0710-vi.jpg

Also took a picture of the painted Falcon standing proud on all fours to show the revised stance. I tweaked the front to lower it a bit more.

DSCN0704-vi.jpg

Enjoy!!!

Great looking build of a great looking car!

But...... I'm with Dave...... can't come to grips with those wheels! Maybe I'm just too old school but I'm thinking they're a little too big for the body. Probably came off a 1/24 scale diecast?

But that's just me and it's your build and your dime..... I'm sure everyone has differing opinions on how they would build it if it were theirs!!

Tony

I dont know who is or was A/FX but that hood looks outstanding on there!! Cant wait to see more details, should look slick, I like your color choice. How are you guy's deconstructing models without breaking anything? Thanks.

Ron

Ron,

This one was an easy deconstruct. Glass was not glued in, neither was the interior tub. Seats and dash were lightly glued. Front bumper was missing, rear bumper was not glued. Taillights not glued to the bezels. Can't say the same for others. Sometimes, parts get broken or destroyed in the process. I've had to use a Dremel to grind out glass and interior parts on many a builder.

Wow sounds like its a 50/50 shot on how involved its gonna be. Be prepared for trying to find some replacement parts and do some homework for the scratch building right. crazyjim told me about the water and freezer trick to try too, I never woulda thought of that. Can't wait for some more updates she's lookin great Marc.

Thanks

Ron

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got some bench time this weekend. I polished the paint and applied 60% or so of the chrome trim. Haven't built a model with this much chrome trim since I built a Johan 1959 Rambler wagon.

DSCN0750-vi.jpg

All of the passenger side trim still needs done. I plan to paint the vent window frames with matt black paint.

Marc

Finally got some bench time this weekend. I polished the paint and applied 60% or so of the chrome trim. Haven't built a model with this much chrome trim since I built a Johan 1959 Rambler wagon.

DSCN0750-vi.jpg

All of the passenger side trim still needs done. I plan to paint the vent window frames with matt black paint.

Marc

;):D;)

This awesome!!!