Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 MPC Young American Dragster?

Pete L.

Any truth to the rumors that MK is doing some special editions with the Young American kit?

Neil....greetings! Where did you hear this rumor? It's a new one on me (not that I necessarily know all the rumors)....but I thought Round 2/AMT had declared they were not goign to do private label reissues.

Those of you familiar with the original MPC Wynnshcarger...the new Young American has what appears to be a dry sump oiling system with dual oil filter that I do not recall from my original Wynnscharger kit from 1970. Does anyone have access to both the new Young Amierican and an original Wynnshcarger to see if the new parts are also in the original Gartits kit? l

Best regards all...TIM

I've never been much of a FED kinda guy. So I have to ask.

Can someone detail the differences between this , the Ramchargers dragstar and the Garlits FED.

I have a few of the Ramchargers Ft End dragsters on the shelf but I don't think I have any of the Garlits car to compare it to.

And the only FED I have in the dispaly case is a Tommy Ivo 1320 diecast. I've always been more of a stock bodied type class builder

Edited by gtx6970

Tim, I heard it on another forum. It wasn't clear if Model King was going to do other versions, or if Round2 would do other versions. But it was definitely said that we will see "many more of these with different decals and box art" and the source was reliable.

Edited by Nitro Neil

Ok, here we go!

Blue Chassis - Don Garlits Dragster - Also became the Young American and the Roaring Rail Dragster with Fiat Coupe body - The longest wheebase in the bunch -426 HEMI

White Chassis - Tommy Ivo Dragster - Also became the Two Much Twin Engine Dragster and the Digger Cuda - 426 HEMI

Black Chassis - Ramchargers Dragster - Also became the Carl Casper's Galloping Ghost, American Graffiti Milner's Dragster and the Jawbreaker Dragster w/Coupe body - 426 HEMI

Blue Bodied Dragster - Don Garlits Wynn's Jammer Dragster - Also became the Hippy Hemi - 330 HEMI

Not shown, and only because I do not want to open the bag in the box, is the Carl Casper's Cosmic Charger. That chassis is comparable to the Young American but it is a two piece chassis that joins at the firewall. This kit also has the 426 HEMI

The almost finished car in the back is a Two Much Dragster with some slight tweaking. The blue bodied car is the Garlits Wynn's Jammer with a Fremont Resins body and decals by Skip Samples

If I forgot any, please chime in

20121218_093939.jpg

20121218_094000.jpg

Those of you familiar with the original MPC Wynnshcarger...the new Young American has what appears to be a dry sump oiling system with dual oil filter that I do not recall from my original Wynnscharger kit from 1970. Does anyone have access to both the new Young Amierican and an original Wynnshcarger to see if the new parts are also in the original Gartits kit? l

Best regards all...TIM

The Wynn's Charger and the Young American do not share any parts at all. The Charger is a Rear Engine car vs. a Front Engine

Neither car had a dry sump system. These where the times where most of these cars still ran factory style oil pumps and regular style oil filters. Dual filters came into vogue in the early 70's and the Garlits car just ran one in the stock location. And it was a LEE filter! LOL!

Most car ran a remote filter adapter and ran two filters to try and keep the engines debris free. This was before the tear downs after every run and you had to make those engines survive.

The Wynn's Charger and the Young American do not share any parts at all. The Charger is a Rear Engine car vs. a Front Engine

Neither car had a dry sump system. These where the times where most of these cars still ran factory style oil pumps and regular style oil filters. Dual filters came into vogue in the early 70's and the Garlits car just ran one in the stock location. And it was a LEE filter! LOL!

Most car ran a remote filter adapter and ran two filters to try and keep the engines debris free. This was before the tear downs after every run and you had to make those engines survive.

Daddy...I'm looking right now at the (empty) box art and let me assure us all, it reads "Don Garlits' Wynnsharger" and it is the same kit as the Young American, except for the decals and the parts described above. The kit # is 729-200 and it was released in late 1970 IIRC.

When I get time, I will try to post the instructions page that shows what I think are the new parts vs. the Wynnscharger. In the meantime, you can see the tank part of the assembly in the far upper right hand corner of the chrome tree frame in the kit contents slides posted above.

Best regards...TIM

In checking the version of this tool with the Fiat Altered body, it appears to me to be the identical to what I remember of the Wynnscharger chassis, except for the added rear airfoil, Fiat body and wheelie bars.

But what is doubly interesting is that in addition to the oiling system (?) parts referenced in the above posts, the Young American has an entirely different plated fuel tank, much more square in shape, and it sets much rearward in the frame vs. the Wynnscharger/Fiat Altered version. But the Young Ameircan still has what is similar too, if not the same as, the far forward Wynnscharger fuel tank as well, maybe reconfigured as forward chassis wieghts (this Young American version of the kit is also missing the forward of front axle weights of the Wynnshcarger kit. Another difference is that the Wynncharger version has a center idler arm for the front tie rods, whereas the Young American has a more typical left spindle connection for the steering drag link.

Bottom line, the chrome trees of the two kits (Wynnscharger/Fiat Altered and Young American) have more than just a couple of differences. Plus there are the differences in the Cosmic Charger kit, which is pretty heavily modified vs. these two. Don't you love this hobby and the intracacies we find when we start to investigate stuff like this? TIM

I am thinking of the AMT re-issue Wynn's Charger RED car! Sorry! I should know better since I have the MPC Garlits FED car!!

Ok, now I need to get my hands on the Young American to compare the chrome trees. Tomorrow I will post a pic of the Garlits chrome and see if we can notice some differences with the chrome tree posted by 1320Wayne.

Tim, are you talking about the piece that looks like a puke tank?

Edited by Daddyfink

I am thinking of the AMT re-issue Wynn's Charger RED car! Sorry! I should know better since I have the MPC Garlits FED car!!

Ok, now I need to get my hands on the Young American to compare the chrome trees. Tomorrow I will post a pic of the Garlits chrome and see if we can notice some differences with the chrome tree posted by 1320Wayne.

Tim, are you talking about the piece that looks like a puke tank?

20121125_123814_684-vi.jpg

Jesse....yeah, it's the piece in the far right hand upper corner of this picture posted by Waye a few days ago. The new, big fuel tank is at the bottom center of thsi photo (two pieces next to each other).

Best regards...TIM

20121125_123814_684-vi.jpg

Jesse....yeah, it's the piece in the far right hand upper corner of this picture posted by Waye a few days ago. The new, big fuel tank is at the bottom center of thsi photo (two pieces next to each other).

Best regards...TIM

Tim, according to the instruction sheet it appears that this small tank mounts at the front of the chassis, just in front of the fuel tank, and hooks up to what appears to be a dual oil filter system. Nothing is identified on the instruction sheet so you almost have to be knowledgeable of the cars from this era to know what it might be.

Also, Jesse's review of the different chassis is a pretty good ref. to the difference from one kit to the next. In terms of the 1:1 cars, if my demensions are correct from what I recollect, the Ramchargers car would represent a 140" wheelbase car whereas the Young American car is from the era that saw F/E dragsters up around 200" to 220" in wheelbase.

Tim, according to the instruction sheet it appears that this small tank mounts at the front of the chassis, just in front of the fuel tank, and hooks up to what appears to be a dual oil filter system. Nothing is identified on the instruction sheet so you almost have to be knowledgeable of the cars from this era to know what it might be.

Also, Jesse's review of the different chassis is a pretty good ref. to the difference from one kit to the next. In terms of the 1:1 cars, if my demensions are correct from what I recollect, the Ramchargers car would represent a 140" wheelbase car whereas the Young American car is from the era that saw F/E dragsters up around 200" to 220" in wheelbase.

Wayne....agree with you on both counts. The tank appears to be part of a dual oil filter system, although if you look at the "filters" they appear too long and too small iin diameter to be typical automotive filters. Then there's the regular Mopar 426 Hemi oli filter, which appears to me to be turned verticle on the front cover (which of course comes from the original Wynnscharger kit), so the Young American may have 3 oil filters in total!

Your frame dimensions sound right on the money, and like you I loved those combo rail frame and body shots above!

TIM

The Young American AA/FD just came in. I recognize all the parts although I never had this particular kit. I got one back in the 70's, not the Young American, and it was molded in dark blue. What is the history? What was the dark blue version, and did it come out before or after the Young American? I still have part of the body, the wheels and tires, and the fuel line to the tank. I'm sure this is the same kit. Feedback?

I'll give you that.....I was comparing this issue to the original Garlits to the current reissue. I agree the original issues were different in boxes and decals. I think the only difference in the instructions was the header telling you what kit they were for.

No offense intended.

MIke

I must be doing something wrong, I went to the local LHS yesterday I according to Horizon Hobbies, the kit won't be available to them until late January, I assume that this is because it is on backorder? I also picked up the boxes of the new 11.75x16 Racemaster slicks from AMT, & was very disappointed in them I didn't buy a set because of the six boxes they had there were only two to three sets in each box that had the lettering in proper registration, I don't want to pay that much for six sets of tires, & have to re-do half of them..

I must be doing something wrong, I went to the local LHS yesterday I according to Horizon Hobbies, the kit won't be available to them until late January, I assume that this is because it is on backorder? I also picked up the boxes of the new 11.75x16 Racemaster slicks from AMT, & was very disappointed in them I didn't buy a set because of the six boxes they had there were only two to three sets in each box that had the lettering in proper registration, I don't want to pay that much for six sets of tires, & have to re-do half of them..

Del....I bought mine from the Autoworld (subsidiary of Round 2) website about three weeks ago and they were on my doorstep three days later. Good luck....worth the effort to search it out. TIM