Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

VW unveils new microbus loved by hippies

28 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

If they were trying for a "retro" look, they failed ! Looks like almost any other mini-van,.....and I despise mini-vans. At least the old parrot nose bus had character, but this is UGLY ! with a capital "U" that rhymes with "poo" and that's what it looks like,...."Poo" It will probably cost a small fortune too !Justmy 2 cents !!

Edited by kingiguana

Posted · Report post

The angular headlights and round driving lights are fighting each other.

What it needs is more curves (and more cowbell! B))

vwbus.jpg

Posted · Report post

The angular headlights and round driving lights are fighting each other.

What it needs is more curves (and more cowbell! B))

vwbus.jpg

with round head lights it dose not look half bad

Posted · Report post

I like Harry's redesign better.

Charlie Larkin

Posted · Report post

Definitely needs more cowbell! And a peace sign or two.

Posted · Report post

Definitely needs more cowbell! And a peace sign or two.

Maybe they should make replacing the "VW" logo with a peace symbol an option! :lol:

Posted · Report post

Like it with the round lights better. Won't see it in the US or Canada though, probably wouldn't pass all the governments safety standard

tests.

Posted · Report post

with round head lights it dose not look half bad

Think Harry should send them his idea with the round headlights , that s an amazing improvement Harry . Thing is so ugly I would want to hide it somewhere out of site and not show it to the would LOL :lol: Just my opinion

Posted · Report post

Think Harry should send them his idea with the round headlights , that s an amazing improvement Harry . Thing is so ugly I would want to hide it somewhere out of site and not show it to the would LOL :lol: Just my opinion

Thanks! I agree, it makes a huge difference. Those angular headlights make it look like a giant angry insect! :lol:

Posted · Report post

So then I guess that in todays way too P.C. world, "loved by hippies" really means "ya gotta be smokin' some O' that wacky-weed to dig this one"

Posted · Report post

Yes, the round headlights make a big difference,now add all those extra little windows.

Posted · Report post

I definitely like Harrys design better, but it still looks too much like a larger ELEMENT or one of those other BOXY cars . . . when in doubt go with the vintage design.

I don't understand, what happened to putting curves and tail fins and fat fenders on cars? I miss those.

Posted · Report post

A Scion xB with a VW badge.

Yawn.

Posted · Report post

Yawn.

I am with you ZZZZzzz.

Posted · Report post

Mr. Downie is right, that's what it looks like. And to think they struck gold with the VW Beetle in fact because it had the round, smooth surfaces.

Posted · Report post

I've got nothing against it as a new vehicle. What bothers me is corporate exploitation of a wonderful sentimentality for the old microbus on a vehicle that is nothing like the old one beyond the nose emblem. A sentimentality, by the way, that was user generated at a grass roots level. I image a bunch of executive suits in a mahogany board room saying, "Come here homies. We call it the new Microbus because it's cool. Know-what-it-is-that-I-am-saying?

Posted · Report post

Yawn.

Right on the money there :lol:

Maybe if they made it look like an actual VAN............................. ;)

Posted · Report post

Actually, that Microbus is a development of a concept van that VW showed back about 2002-2003 at all the big new car auto shows. I got the assignment to develop the Johnny Lightning 1/64 scale diecast of it, in early 2003--I wasn't terribly impressed with the looks of the thing, dunno if it sold all that well, even when marketed in our VW-series assortments.

Art

Posted (edited) · Report post

This is the early 2000's concept.

microbus-vi.jpg

I also like Harry's changes he did to the new concept. Lose their squinting eyes, the ridiculous waterfall nose, and you may have something.

BTW, there was a plastic 1/25 promo done of the earlier concept shown above. I have it stashed away. Someday I should hunt it down and photograph it.

Edited by Jon Cole

Posted · Report post

At least the older concept looks like a van! I was wondering about the DejaVu thing here, thought the thing in the original post looked familiar yet totally wrong at the same time ;)

Posted · Report post

Considering the first gen VW Type 2 van's forward seating position, a retro design based on it just isn't possible these days. People expect to have a reasonable chance for survival in a frontal impact crash now, and with two layers of sheetmetal being the only cushion, that's just not going to cut it.

VW has the New Beetle for retro appeal, and the re-design will ensure it's around for another decade plus.

Posted · Report post

Considering the first gen VW Type 2 van's forward seating position, a retro design based on it just isn't possible these days. People expect to have a reasonable chance for survival in a frontal impact crash now, and with two layers of sheetmetal being the only cushion, that's just not going to cut it.

VW has the New Beetle for retro appeal, and the re-design will ensure it's around for another decade plus.

Be a real man and crash a T2!

vw-bus-t1-kastenwagen-unfall.jpg

Posted · Report post

Either the structure of those things sucked harder than an Oreck, or that thing somehow managed to be hauling hiney on impact :D

Posted · Report post

Dammn thing looks like a Scion reject !!!!!!!!!!!

Ed Shaver