Model Cars Magazine Forum

GSL XXIII Photos

Gregg

I am uploading these now, it is 1:30 a.m. Sunday morning, so you may get error messages for a while Sunday morning while they are being uploaded.

I will do the other photos as soon as I can.

GSL Photos

It was a great show.

It even snowed just for Kelly!!!!

I am uploading these now, it is 1:30 a.m. Sunday morning, so you may get error messages for a while Sunday morning while they are being uploaded.

I will do the other photos as soon as I can.

GSL Photos

It was a great show.

It even snowed just for Kelly!!!!

Great pix, Gregg! Thanks for your efforts to get them uploaded as quickly as you did.

I, for one, appreciate your coverage. Thanks for being there for those of us unable to attend.

:lol:

PS: Any videos?

:P

Not ONE police car?

Not ONE ambulance?

Not ONE firetruck?

What the gollygosh* is up with that?

*Best I can do considering all the filters and sensitivities and such. I hope 'gollygosh' doesn't offend anyone.

Thanks for the pictures. I will never be able to get there. Just got an email from one of the Winnipeg guys. Said this is the SUPERBOWL

of model contests in the US. Very professional and well run. Didn't give any results, but said it was well worth the trip. Again thanks

for the pictures and making it so everybody can see what is there...........

Not ONE police car?

Not ONE ambulance?

Not ONE firetruck?

What the gollygosh* is up with that?

*Best I can do considering all the filters and sensitivities and such. I hope 'gollygosh' doesn't offend anyone.

Man I tried, I really did plan to attend, but this freakin' knee lept me from it.

Next time and I'm bringing all my copcars.

G

Man I tried, I really did plan to attend, but this freakin' knee lept me from it.

Next time and I'm bringing all my copcars.

G

Hey, me, too!

I'll bring all my copcars, too. We'll cover two, three tables ourselves and blow out their space planning!

Let's meet up 1/2 way and ride into Salt Lick together.

I saw Randy's sprint car under construction at Toledo a couple of years ago and it was amazing to see the workmanship in it! I am not surprised at the outcome. He also talked about the amount of research that he was putting into it. I hope he brought the album with all the drawings and measurements. That album could win an award itself.

Randy Derr and his Sprint Car replica won Best of Show!!!!

Randy did have the book there as well. It made me appreciate what went into that extraordinary model even more.

Seemed that John Teresi had at least a dozen models in the show, each one of them was incredible!

The overall quality of models this year was really, really high, just too much good stuff to name. Everyone seemed to be having a great time - it was wonderful to see old faces and meet some new people. I just got back and I'm about to crash out - I think I've been running on adrenaline for the past few days. I'll have photos up in a day or so.

five-o-s6-05.jpg

"Can you believe the phoney looking drivers license this guy from the Islands gave that cop in Salt Lake City? The picture doesn't even look like a magazine editor!"

"Depends on what kind of magazine."

"True dat. And look at the 'weight' ... maybe when he was in high school! Maybe."

"And look at this X-ray he showed the Salt Lake cop. Looks like he has some screws loose."

"In his back, or, ..."

"Tell them we won't extradite him ... they can keep him!"

"Mahalo nui loa!"

"But, what will that do to our diplomatic relations with Utah?"

"D'Oh! Better call the governor ..."

Gregg.....you are the best my brother.......great pictures as usual ........was great to see you and your wife......I know you were in pain.....but,you love the model shows.......and i`m glad your wife got to see some snow there.......see ya bud.

Man...This show was an AWESOME Show. Being that it was OUR( My Wife Susan and I) First one( Freshman...I know :P )...We weren't disappointed at ALL. Of course it's always good to see Gregg and Kelly. We meet some OUTSTANDING people there and it just so happens they can build the same way...OUTSTANDING. In all the yrs that I've been building and hearing about these great builders from different parts of the world and getting the chance to meet some of them at the same show, was a very good experience. Now....We have to save the pennies for the next one...GSL XXIV.

Some thoughts on GSL as I have finally "woken" up.

Or rather, I am up off the ground.

Today is Thursday, and it's the first day that I have been up for more than half hour at a time.

So, I thought I would jot down some notes and thoughts on GSL.

GSL is THE show for the model car judged contests in the country.

It is judged OVERNIGHT by modelers who really go into, over, and under each and every single model on the table.

I always hear that "that model should not have won, that other one was better" at shows I go to, GSL included.

But, having been privey to the behind the scenes at these and other shows, I think I can say that without a doubt, GSL is the most intensive and maybe even over-judged show I have ever been to.

I don't know how many GSL's I have been to, maybe twelve, fifteen? I lost count.

I should just count all the commemorative GSL kits in the storage to see....

One thing about GSL that I love is getting to see people who I haven't seen in two years, or more!

Mike Siegman hasn't been to GSL in over 15 years, and there were some that were not able to show up.

John Lunger (Lil' John) I haven't seen since my Denver days, and there are more that I could spend hours typing up on.

As for the show, I came home not only with a full UPS-sent 20"x20"x20" box full of models, and some in the suitcases, but with tons of ideas for new projects.

I bought some kits just because of the models on the table. Like Steve Perry's Ford Van that was probably the most over-looked model on the tables.

There will be a feature on that one also.

What I would like to do, and it's something I can do laying down, so it should be pretty easy, is to build simple web sites of some of the feature models from the show.

A page, or two or ten, on John Teresi's models, of course will take some time :-)

Randy Derr's Sprint Car is in a world all it's own.

The thing about GSL is that some of the guys that go, if not all, or so darn humble, and even embarrassed that they won, or win!

I can't tell you how many shaking hands I saw after the awards brunch, yes, shaking hands, not shaking hands, if you know what I mean.

It's amazing the humbleness that I saw in the winners at the show.

The seminars were good, from what I could see of them, I popped into a couple of them.

The auction was really good, and Yes, I don't need no stinkin' number!!!!!

Kelly saw the first snow fall of her life on Friday, and were both giddy with that.

I know, get a life, right?

We went up to Park City afterwards on Sunday, and she got to walk around in the snow on the slopes.

We saw Dan and Mary King up there also, which was pretty cool.

It was a great show, and I hope to be able to finally finish something for the next one.

And yes, that sign was fun, it's a double jab, and I meant every word of it.

Okay, I pau.

I will be posting more of the studio shots and finishing up the videos also.

I think I did part 1 on YouTube, and will work on the others this weekend.

It took over three days to recover, and I have to say, it was worth it.

Gregg:

It was fantastic seeing you and Kelly again. Anytime you need some snow, we will package up some of the West Virginia stuff and send it your way, or bring it your way. Take care of that back Gregg.

As for everyone who didn't make GSL, I'm sorry for you. I've been hitting shows for the last 20 years and not a one was even close to the experience of being at GSL. You must come in 2013, trust me. The modelers I read about in the magazines, I've met. The models you only see in photos, I got to drool on. (sorry about that Randy, Greg, Vince, John T, ...... and many more). Meeting Tom Daniels and having him autograph my Rat Vega, .... priceless. Great talking with Don Emmons, a wealth of information and all around great guy. Dave Walker, a pleasure to finally meet you. ..... and so many more.

Start saving your pennies and dimes now guys, and I'll see you all at GSL 2013.

Gary