Model Cars Magazine Forum

Police Car ??

DRG

Now I will admit that it has been a long time since I had any dealings with the Police.

This was also the first time i ever built a kit that was a Snap-Tight.

But an unmarked car with a lite-bar. No antennas?

Oh well, no decals either.

PoliceCar003.jpg

When this version of the kit was originally released it was an Orange County Fire District car in response to all the howling that went on about the shiny metallic gray plastic the OHiP kit was cast in, in the first run. It had tiny door decals for that department. Now it's just a blank car for the guys who custom build their cars, as the other versions of the newer J. Lloyd runs are pre-"painted" for the departments they represent on the box.

I see it has a different light bar this go round. I think the intention is for modelers that'd like to use their own decals now.

I will say I think yours will look a lot better with the addition of Window trim paint.

Nahh that's the same iffy representation of the MX7000 that it got during the 2nd issue of the Orange County FD.

I like the way it looks, and it's crying out for some decals though. I just got the Florida Highway Patrol version and I hope to build it as nice as yours . . . I haven't even looked to see if it brings the decal sheet.

Don, this looks pretty good and would make a nice PUCO car with both beacons being red. Like someone had suggested, the window trim would really set this car off and make it perfect... :)

Nahh that's the same iffy representation of the MX7000 that it got during the 2nd issue of the Orange County FD.

Different light bar than I knew they had lol. I assume there was a version between the OHP and todays issues ?? Both of mine are the original issue OHP cars

No big deal and definitely not unusual. In my 22 year career, every one of my cruisers was unmarked except for the light bar...which I took off and stored in the trunk on my days off. Ct. Troopers are issued a car which they keep 24/7/365 because "by law" we are "on duty" 24/7/365. When off duty and in that cruiser, without family in it, the trooper must stop and assist broken down cars on the highway or respond to call for asistance or any emergency that comes up.

Different light bar than I knew they had lol. I assume there was a version between the OHP and todays issues ?? Both of mine are the original issue OHP cars

There were two original issuings of this kit in the late 1990's. The OHiP car that you have, and an Orange County Fire District car that was molded in white, which had the MX-7000 bar (as the real car did). Then the kit was reissued in several different pre-"painted" variations, and one "blank" kit with no decals in the J. Lloyd era (I think it was 2 years ago). I don't know if both lightbars are in the car, but I doubt it since the pre-printed version of the CHP car has an MX-7000 on it, rather than the actual correct Vision/Vector bar that came in the OHiP kit.

No big deal and definitely not unusual. In my 22 year career, every one of my cruisers was unmarked except for the light bar...which I took off and stored in the trunk on my days off. Ct. Troopers are issued a car which they keep 24/7/365 because "by law" we are "on duty" 24/7/365. When off duty and in that cruiser, without family in it, the trooper must stop and assist broken down cars on the highway or respond to call for asistance or any emergency that comes up.

Funny you mention this, Terry, I was just thinking "paint it silver, put "STATE POLICE" in the middle of the light bar, and it would look somewhat like a Connecticut State Trooper car.

Actually, Donald, if you want to, it would be pretty easy with a stencil and some paint to do an old New Bedford, Ma. cruiser.

http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n195/charlie8575/New%20Bedford%20Police%20Crusiers/

Charlie Larkin

There were two original issuings of this kit in the late 1990's. The OHiP car that you have, and an Orange County Fire District car that was molded in white, which had the MX-7000 bar (as the real car did). Then the kit was reissued in several different pre-"painted" variations, and one "blank" kit with no decals in the J. Lloyd era (I think it was 2 years ago). I don't know if both lightbars are in the car, but I doubt it since the pre-printed version of the CHP car has an MX-7000 on it, rather than the actual correct Vision/Vector bar that came in the OHiP kit.

James, I'm almost 100% sure all the prepaints had the MX-7000, I have the undecoratated one, the CHP, and the Georgia State Police versions, and when looking at my local Ollie's, all the others show the same lightbar, too. Also, that is the only lightbar in the kits after the original OHP Vision/Vector, and the OHP is also the only one to offer a shotgun. Also, all the MX-7000 lightbars including the one on the "blank" kit of Don's is prepainted exactly how it appears on the box. Here's a pic of my GHP prepaint just as it came in the box, it's the last car on the top deck of the carrier.

HPIM1526.jpg