Model Cars Magazine Forum

'53 Ford mild custom - UPDATE 5/13

Lyle Willits

My Ollies $8.00 '53 Ford mild custom. It's rough right now - still needs alot of sanding and smoothing. Filled all the indents for the stock chrome. Added new chrome strip from shaped half-rounds. Peaked the hood. Reshaped the front and rear splash pans to fit the '49 Merc bumpers I'm going to install. Didn't like the kit skirts so I made a set of Foxcraft skirts. Started on the interior by robbing parts from a Revell '48 Ford kit. '59 Corvette wheel covers.

IMG_2367-vi.jpg

IMG_2369-vi.jpg

IMG_2372-vi.jpg

IMG_2370-vi.jpg

Edited by Lyle Willits

Looking Good Lyle can I ask where do you get embossing powder and do you apply the same as Flocking ?

I get embossing powder at Michaels, which is a large craft store. Also A.C.Moore, etc. Apply just like flocking.

I haven't used flocking in over 2 years.

Got paint and clear coats on but NOT polished out yet. Skirts are just taped on. Duplicolor yellow with 3 coats of clear pearl. Roof is Duplicolor Orange Mist, smoked with styrene sprue and clear coated with Tamiya clear orange.

IMG_2376-vi.jpg

IMG_2378-vi.jpg

IMG_2381-vi.jpg

IMG_2382-vi.jpg

Interior is done.

Lyle this car is jus' gorgous! As all your builds are! My question is how do you smoke the paint like that? I've seen several people do it but get the concept of how it's done. Can't wait to see more. The colour choice is stunning! Interior looks nice and comfy. Great work! :o

"Smoking" the paint - after the color coat is dry, light the end of a piece of styrene sprue (DO THIS OUTSIDE!!!!)and hold the burning sprue about 12 inches under the car body. Move the smoking sprue around in a random, erratic motion until you have enough of the black soot on the paint to make the design that you want. EXTINGUISH the styrene sprue. Immediately spray clear over the "smoked" paint. Let it dry normally.

DON'T DO THIS INDOORS or you will have black soot floating through the air all over the room.

In 1959, when I was 10, I painted my bike white and smoked the paint. My grandfather gave me hell for "wrecking" my bicycle and my grandmother gave me hell for playing with matches. Didn't matter - I had the coolest bike around !!!

"Smoking" the paint - after the color coat is dry, light the end of a piece of styrene sprue (DO THIS OUTSIDE!!!!)and hold the burning sprue about 12 inches under the car body. Move the smoking sprue around in a random, erratic motion until you have enough of the black soot on the paint to make the design that you want. EXTINGUISH the styrene sprue. Immediately spray clear over the "smoked" paint. Let it dry normally.

DON'T DO THIS INDOORS or you will have black soot floating through the air all over the room.

In 1959, when I was 10, I painted my bike white and smoked the paint. My grandfather gave me hell for "wrecking" my bicycle and my grandmother gave me hell for playing with matches. Didn't matter - I had the coolest bike around !!!

Thanx for the tip! I bet you did have the coolest bike! Interesting what we learn from others. :angry: