Model Cars Magazine Forum

Larry Griffith's Hemi Dart

Tucohoward

A little progress. I installed the righthand wiring harness, tach drive cable made from plastic rod, and the headers. Also got the foiling done. My first time for that and was not looking forward to it. Satisfied with the results. Sealed it with a coat of Furure. The brake M/C is also shown which was modified as the kit part is not for the Hemi cars.000_0063.jpg000_0060.jpg000_0054.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Some small progress. Finished the left side engine compartment wiring harness. Doesn't look like much but it took a while. Kept losing tiny parts. I think it's enough to give the illusion of wiring when combined with the right side on the engine already.000_0124.jpg000_0122.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Slow progress, but I finally managed to get the tach installed. I think this means I can put the body on the chassis. Hey, I may even finish this someday. Of course I've been trying to paint the hood for a week or two and haven't gotten a good result yet.000_0147.jpg000_0145.jpg000_0142.jpg

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the comments. Right now it's trying my patience. The body doesn't sit down on the chassis in the front. It appears that the dash is holding it up on left side and it looks like it is too far forward when looking down through the windshield. Last night I cut off the mounting lug for the dash on the left side and reglued it father back. I let the glue set up overnight so I'll try it again tonight. Has anyone else had this issue with this kit?

• 2 years later...

It's been almost three years since I put this one aside due to various issues. I keep it on my bench just because I like it, but I would like it better if I could finish it. At this point I am not sure I even remember all the problems, but I am sure 000_1405_zpsc7689020.jpg000_1401_zps33e167f5.jpg000_1400_zpsc2125c53.jpg000_1409_zpsc100964d.jpgthey will become readily apparent. Anyhow, this is where it stands currently. I have already fixed the problem of it sitting on three wheels by relocating one of the front stub axles.

Jay

• 3 weeks later...

I did get a couple things worked. The rear bumper is on and the brake master cylinder. There was not a lot of room to get the master cylinder in and required sanding down the firewall and the adapter plate that the Hemi cars used to relocate it due to clearance issues with the large engine. In the meantime I have decided to build another Hemi Dart, the Hustlin' Hemi. There are definitely some things I learned on this one that I want to do differently.

Jay000_1415_zpsf6162fd6.jpg000_1428_zpspwybpsy6.jpgHustlinHemishots-vi_zps4et1ciy9.jpgHustlinHemishots01-vi_zps6ukrvatb.jpg

One of the first things I wanted to correct was the intake manifold. The kit intake has the carbs at different levels when they should be even. I cut off the right side of the manifold, cut a slice off the bottom and grafted it back on. Hustlin' Hemi is an auto tranny car and the kit comes as a 4-speed. The manual transmission was cut off and a resin automatic from MAD was used to replace it. It's just a copy of the Revell part, but I had one so it was easier than cutting one off another engine/ trans assembly. The automatic cars came with a 8 3/4 rear instead of the Dana in the kit. I wanted to use the Hemi springs however so I had to cut out the center section and swap them. I drilled it all out and ran a brass rod through it for strength and ease of alignment. Grandt Line nuts and bolts were used to detail it.

Jay000_1420_zpsjd73jfvl.jpg20150315_181212_zps418a76fa.jpg20150315_181033_zps20ab7418.jpg20150315_181013_zps4a97d995.jpg