Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dryer motor/squirrel cag fan wiring

Not sure if this goes here, but here goes. Ihave a motor & squirrel cage fan out of a clothed dryer that i want to use for my model car spray booth. Can I attach a chord with an on/off switch on it to power it? If so, how would I go about doing it. Pleae, any help would be great. I am dting to use this booth that I built.

That should be a fairly simple task. You can get a replacement cord at a decent hardware shop. The cord will be ready to attach to the motor with 3 wires, you just need to figure out which one goes where. For a switch you have a few options, find one you can insert inline (between the cord and motor), plug it into a powerstrip which will be your switch, or just do like me and plug it in / unplug it to turn it on and off.

A good hardware store should have someone who can help you figure out the wiring.

Not sure you want to pursue this . Reading here on the board about others making their own spray both using "Non- sealed" motors and the chance of explosions caused by sparks from within the motor.:P

A squirrel cage blower is the type recommended and used by most commercial hobby paint booths because the motor is out of the airflow.

John....Please go purchase a booth....If you need to ask electrical questions that easy..(btw its cord).....you do not know how to use 110 volts safely.

Its simple wiring if you understand......

How often are there paint/lacquer fumes in your clothes dryer? I can't wait until the I had a explosion and fire post.Unless you have a shaded pole blower motor I would not use any motor that came out of an household appliance.

I admit I have zero experience in building a paint booth, but after years on model car forums I have learned that you better have a LOT of experience in electrical wiring, motors and ventilation to even think about doing this on your own. Otherwise, disaster is waiting in the wings. Plus, it appears you could have a much greater investment in time and materials than if you simply purchased a good one.

Here's a recommendation from other forum members:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3554

Edited by sjordan2

How often are there paint/lacquer fumes in your clothes dryer? I can't wait until the I had a explosion and fire post.Unless you have a shaded pole blower motor I would not use any motor that came out of an household appliance.

A squirrel cage is a shaded pole blower.

A squirrel cage is a shaded pole blower.

Aaronw, thank you for your positive feedback. Like I said it is a squirrel cage fan, which happens to be a sealed motor. I ditched the one that I had and got a different motor from a furnace.

For all of you other guys that had negative feedback, keep your comments to yourselves. Please read a post before you comment on them.

Hey Stasch, thanks for the english lesson. keep your nose out of other's business if you have nothing nice to say. This forum is here to get help when needed.

For all of the rest of you who don't think I can get it all wired up and running, it's done and it moves air quite niceley.

Edited by johnnyg

Aaronw, thank you for your positive feedback. Like I said it is a squirrel cage fan, which happens to be a sealed motor. I ditched the one that I had and got a different motor from a furnace.

For all of you other guys that had negative feedback, keep your comments to yourselves. Please read a post before you comment on them.

Hey Stasch, thanks for the english lesson. keep your nose out of other's business if you have nothing nice to say. This forum is here to get help when needed.

For all of the rest of you who don't think I can get it all wired up and running, it's done and it moves air quite niceley.

JohnnyG-

I hope you rethink your response to the posts to your questions. I read them all and I see forum members here looking out for your safety. The issue of sealed motors and hazardous fumes has been addressed here in many posts and I think what most were trying to say is that the cost savings of using parts from a clothes dryer versus buying a paint booth that has parts specifically engineered for painting is not always worth it. A trip to the ER or spending time in a burn ward will cost much more than what you can save by building a booth with parts that may OR may not be safe.

I don't think anyone wants to read about any members here being injured trying to get that killer paint job on a model, especially if it could have been prevented.

Hope it all works out well and show us your results, I am interested in seeing it!

John....Please go purchase a booth....If you need to ask electrical questions that easy..(btw its cord).....you do not know how to use 110 volts safely.

Building a paint booth isn't voodoo - it can be done perfectly safely - but I have to agree with the above poster. If you have to ask how connect the cord then either seek some expert help (and make sure it's really expert) or purchase a professionally made paint booth (simpler solution). I'm saying this as someone who has built two spray booths and never had a problem but I'm a mechanical engineer by profession and have a good electrical background also. Know when you know something and when you don't know!

WHAT ON EARTH are you talking about concerning negative feedback? You have had nothing but constructive ideas and people listing concerns for your safety. If the last part is negative to you, well...I don't know what to say. We should "keep our comments to ourselves" to make suggestions in your best interests? From what is obvious to everyone, we read your post and understood it – It was clear in your original post that you don't have much experience in this area or you wouldn't have asked the question. Jeez. Here we go again.

Edited by sjordan2

Johnny G... don't take things the wrong way.

The guys that responded to your posts and suggested you buy a ready-made unit instead of going the DIY route were actually looking out for your best interests. Yeah, a couple of the comments could have been made a little more tactfully (Stasch... :)), but they were just looking out for your safety.

Guys, sorry to offend anyone, but the negative feedback that I was referring to was the quote above. This guy doesn't need to point out any mistakes a person makes in a post when all i was doing was asking for help. But, I apologize if I upset people, I guess i read your reponses incorrectly. I will drop. Thank you all for your help.

Johnny G... don't take things the wrong way.

The guys that responded to your posts and suggested you buy a ready-made unit instead of going the DIY route were actually looking out for your best interests. Yeah, a couple of the comments could have been made a little more tactfully (Stasch... :D), but they were just looking out for your safety.

Guys, sorry to offend anyone, but the negative feedback that I was referring to was the quote above. This guy doesn't need to point out any mistakes a person makes in a post when all i was doing was asking for help. But, I apologize if I upset people, I guess i read your reponses incorrectly. I will drop. Thank you all for your help.

Gee Johnny. I AM TRULY SORRY for negative sarcastic feedback...NOT!

But as I have wired everything from high voltage to low voltage circuits safely due to training and years of experience I really do not understand the bite in your heart or your post :o:huh:

Wiring is simple just hook up your wires, short out the wires and fill your house with smoke......Sorry..electricity is nothing to play with..if you do not know how...PLEASE do not play :D

All electronics have smoke in them. Once you let it out, it doesn't work anymore.

and to get a replacement electronic smoke can is expensive. Then you have to put it back in the item that you let the smoke out of and thats mission almost impossable

Edited by evilone