Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford LTS9000 motor?

I got an LTS9000 conversion for the AMT Ford Louisville kit, I am assuming the longer hood is for a larger engine. Does anyone know what engines I could use in this? I'm looking for what was available as well as considerations for donor kits.

This is the truck I'm talking about although it is a few years newer than the one in the conversion.

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/truc...ord_lts9000.jpg

Thanks

Aaron.

I recall reading your post on a different discussion group. I worked in the shop for Overland Transportation Systems (bought out by Vitran) back in 1994. The terminal I worked at had these very trucks. Most of them had 350 CUMMINS (single screw) and only one of the twin screw trucks had 400 CUMMINS. I'd use the Big Cam engine from one of the AMT kits.

I was thinking that the conversion you had was a set forward front axle w/ the rectangular headlights.

You could do is use the 3208 Cat. I'm using that in a 7 axle dump truck using two turbo assys from Paystar kits to make it look like it's been turned up(HP). (I haven't worked on that project in two years LOL)

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?...7262841&f=0

OR be patient and work on another project because Monogram is re-releasing the Peterbilt 359 snap tite kit soon. This has a 3406 Cat. It may be worth waiting so you could bash that 359 kit for it's Cat motor? I'm looking forward to getting a few of those kits for bashing!

Thanks for the help, it gives me a place to start.

Yes, I posted this a couple of days ago on a truck yahoo group but only had the one reply. I also realized I had listed it as an LNT instead of an LTS and since I don't know how to get a pic to show up there I figured I'd give it a try here.

What is a big cam engine? Cummins, CAT, DD ??? I'm marginally familiar with big diesels unless it happens to be one I've driven and thats a fairly short list.

Thanks for the head up about the reissue, how is that kit considering its a snap kit?

Aaron.

The Cummins Big Cam was an inline 6 cylinder engine released in 3-4 different versions displacing 855 cubic inches. As far as knowing the 1:1 engines I've done minor repairs maintence to them. My strong points are trailer repair(14 years of it). Another fella here named Mark (building the Ford service truck) has been a truck mechanic for 20+ years if I remember. He's the guy you'll want to ask if you've got a technical question about eninges.

Here's a Big Cam Cummins

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?...&p=73258276

As far as the Snap Tite 359 kit goes...... I've only heard about it but I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one of those 3406 Cats. I got a late model KW W900 conversion I'd like to use that Cat in. If the quality is so -so it can be always be detailed better.

Thanks, this isn't a current project, I just got the conversion recently and am doing some planning ahead.

I didn't know the Bigcam was the actual name, I thought it was a generic term like refering to a Chevy 350 as a small block or 454 as a big block.

Aaron

When ya hear someone refer to a diesel be it Cat Cummins Detroit 350 or 475 that's refering to the horsepower. For an older Cummins it might be refered to as an 855 NTC 350

855 is the cubic inch

N is a suffix ... four valves per cylinder

T is turbo charged

C is Custom Rated

350 is the rated horsepower

Thats what I meant about being marginally familiar with diesels, if its been in a truck I drove I usually know a little about it, but that Bigcam you mentioned is nearly twice the size of the one in my engine (DT530E).

While I consider the trucks I drive as large I occasionally realize their not so big, particularly compared to most of the trucks that are available in a kit.

This was a few years back, bringing the new engine home from Boise. It was at this point that I realized its just a tonka toy compared to a semi :P I guess thats why its called a medium duty.

287.jpg

I appreciate the help.