Model Cars Magazine Forum

Input needed on a 1960 Impala

Alright guys I am a newbie at all this model stuff and really not a gear head in the slightest. But there is something about turning that white plastic into a work of art that makes me smile.

With all that said I am need of some advice and even more help - necissto ayuda .

I am building a 1960 Impala for a friend who recently lost his job and his chance to own this particular vehicle. He has always been very generous to my family and someone I have always looked up to.

With my limited knowledge and know-how what could I add to this kit to make it SPECTACULAR?

Tires, exhaust .... also where can I get these items.

Come on fellas... some of you guys are like Picasso with a hobby knife and BMF.

Thanks my brothers in plastic......

Alright guys I am a newbie at all this model stuff and really not a gear head in the slightest. But there is something about turning that white plastic into a work of art that makes me smile.

With all that said I am need of some advice and even more help - necissto ayuda .

I am building a 1960 Impala for a friend who recently lost his job and his chance to own this particular vehicle. He has always been very generous to my family and someone I have always looked up to.

With my limited knowledge and know-how what could I add to this kit to make it SPECTACULAR?

ok bro this is a general question that calls for a huge answer bro.

you can add any of the following

flocking for the carpet,BMF for the chrome,variouse of the detailing wires for engine details,aftermarket wheels,and braided lines for the fuel lines and coolant lines.

those are my basic stuff

My suggestion is to look at the build topics and ask them what they used to detail certain parts bro.

Type 1960 Impala in the search box on the right of the screen.

There are several there that will give you ideas and people to ask.

IMG_1683-1.jpg

Pick your colors carefully. This kit is full of detail and chrome, with a good set of interior decals. The decals are done in red so that will limit your color choices if you go that way.I just did this one a while back and did go with a few extras in the form of pegasis wheels and disc brakes,lowered it all the way, and as the kit comes with a sweet 348 tri power, running dual exhausts..not much more is needed but your own twist !!!

click on the picture above for the wip.......click the thumbnail below to see all the pictures :D

th_IMG_1691-1.jpg

this link will get you to Tony Ts JWAC build!!

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30582

Edited by Stasch

Experienced modelers can turn those odd chunks of plastic into a piece of art. There IS much experienced involved, but most of the finished product is care and finesse. Don't pressure yourself too much, but you can do a decent build the first time just by proceeding slowly and thinking about each step you do.

The "SPECTACULAR" part of this build would be your desire to do something for a friend. Adding aftermarket parts is not going to change much and I would feel it's not necessary. There's much more to a build than how many "cool" parts you added. Subtle things like color or trim you friend might have mentions would mean much more.

But not to discourage you, here's a few links to places making parts that might interest you...

Model Car Garage

Morgan Automotive Detail

IMG_1683-1.jpg

Pick your colors carefully. This kit is full of detail and chrome, with a good set of interior decals. The decals are done in red so that will limit your color choices if you go that way.I just did this one a while back and did go with a few extras in the form of pegasis wheels and disc brakes,lowered it all the way, and as the kit comes with a sweet 348 tri power, running dual exhausts..not much more is needed but your own twist !!!

click on the picture above for the wip.......click the thumbnail below to see all the pictures :D

th_IMG_1691-1.jpg

Great build ... gave me some good ideas.

Where did you get those tires?

Great build ... gave me some good ideas.

Where did you get those tires?

As the wip showed those are pegasis Ts

Stasch, that is one gorgeous Impala.

Thanks...I was leery of the color, HOK Hot Pink Pearl..over white with rose pearl in the clear...but it seems to work! and is just about OOB!

Also, I am not up to airbrushing as of yet. Still using the rattle can.

Any paint suggestions?

I am going with Tamiya pearl white for the top color.

I agree.... makes me want to build something else. :D

Black Gold packages real HOK paints in spray cans...I used duplacolor linen white as the base on this build, Tamiya does have a clear with pearl in it which will give any paint more pop!...In the second link Tony builds a sweet Maroon and white slammed 60.....

IMHO, paint gives the most "bang for the buck". No one will notice plug wires from across the room. Just be methodical about the prep, lay down your paint and clear, then polish it out. Hard to go wrong with pearl white, BTW. If you do go with a second color, I recommend using Tamiya masking tape to mask it off. That stuff makes a super clean line.

Okay....first of all, I think it's great you're doing this for a friend who's been good to you. That's a sign of true friendship, and something that I'm sure will be appreciated.

Now...do you want to build a stock or custom car?

For a stock car, http://www.348-409.com/ would be a great starting point for references.

There are plenty of nice customs here that you can use to get some ideas from.

Also, www.tocmp.com has a full 1960 Chevy brouchure you can use for additional pictures.

Most of all, we're all here to help you. Ask any questions you want.

Here's an outstanding replica-stock build. http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=44056&st=0&gopid=464505&#entry464505

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

Okay....first of all, I think it's great you're doing this for a friend who's been good to you. That's a sign of true friendship, and something that I'm sure will be appreciated.

Now...do you want to build a stock or custom car?

For a stock car, http://www.348-409.com/ would be a great starting point for references.

There are plenty of nice customs here that you can use to get some ideas from.

Also, www.tocmp.com has a full 1960 Chevy brouchure you can use for additional pictures.

Most of all, we're all here to help you. Ask any questions you want.

Here's an outstanding replica-stock build. http://www.modelcars...05

Charlie Larkin

Thanks..... he is a great guy. I am working with his son on colors and such. The build you sent me to was incredible!!!

I am thinking that this build should be a mix of stock and custom. I am going to try and keep the custom stuff small.

I will definitely ask for help if I get stuck.... which will more than likely be often.

This has to be a great build.

You've already received a lot of great advice and research links here, and I can't add much more other than to suggest you create a topic in the "On the Workbench" topic. This way, you can post photos of your progress and ask for suggestions and help along the way. I built this kit stock some years ago, and painted it overall dark metallic grey with a red interior to match a photo that was in Collectible Automobile magazine. I didn't remove the spare tire well from the chassis, as I had missed that detail. (Slap to the forehead!) Enjoy your build, and we'll be sure to follow it and help where we can.

I wanted to add that Tamiya paints are my favorite; I don't have an airbrush, but with careful application and polishing, the end result is fantastic. If the color I use is not metallic, I skip using a clear coat. In my opinion, it looks a bit more prototypical if you're building factory stock. I do clear coat metallics before I polish, though. Be sure to get some good sanding film; I happen to like the mylar backed Testor's stuff. I also suggest getting a polishing kit. I use it two ways; after I sand mold parting lines from the body, I follow up with the polishing kit on bare plastic areas that don't require putty. Of course, the main use is to polish out the paint. As far as putty goes, I use two part automotive glazing putty. My '60 example had some bad sink marks on the top of the horizontal fins that had to be filled.

Edited by Jim Gibbons

One tip I will add.. On final assembly the rockers on the frame hang below the body and need body color, not frame color. I noticed this after paint was done..I used BMF to foil them...you can see it in my pics if you look B)

You've already received a lot of great advice and research links here, and I can't add much more other than to suggest you create a topic in the "On the Workbench" topic. This way, you can post photos of your progress and ask for suggestions and help along the way. I built this kit stock some years ago, and painted it overall dark metallic grey with a red interior to match a photo that was in Collectible Automobile magazine. I didn't remove the spare tire well from the chassis, as I had missed that detail. (Slap to the forehead!) Enjoy your build, and we'll be sure to follow it and help where we can.

I wanted to add that Tamiya paints are my favorite; I don't have an airbrush, but with careful application and polishing, the end result is fantastic. If the color I use is not metallic, I skip using a clear coat. In my opinion, it looks a bit more prototypical if you're building factory stock. I do clear coat metallics before I polish, though. Be sure to get some good sanding film; I happen to like the mylar backed Testor's stuff. I also suggest getting a polishing kit. I use it two ways; after I sand mold parting lines from the body, I follow up with the polishing kit on bare plastic areas that don't require putty. Of course, the main use is to polish out the paint. As far as putty goes, I use two part automotive glazing putty. My '60 example had some bad sink marks on the top of the horizontal fins that had to be filled.

Thanks Jim.

I will do that.

What is a good polishing kit and where would a rookie like me find one?

My LHS is lacking on a few things.

One tip I will add.. On final assembly the rockers on the frame hang below the body and need body color, not frame color. I noticed this after paint was done..I used BMF to foil them...you can see it in my pics if you look :)

Thanks!!!

IMG_1683-1.jpg

click on the picture above for the wip.......click the thumbnail below to see all the pictures :)

th_IMG_1691-1.jpg

this link will get you to Tony Ts JWAC build!!

http://www.modelcars...showtopic=30582

;):D;):P :P

I was going to post the link to my build, but Mike beat me to it! (Thanks Mike!)

Important to pay attention to modelling basics on any build. Test fit parts before paint and after. Sand the mould seams, fill any small imperfections, smooth it all out before primer and paint. If you stretch too far beyond your abilities, you could get frustrated with the build and stall on it. Have a plan for the build, cover the basics, don't rush it, and most of all, have fun. I had a blast building mine. It's a nice kit and there are very few issues to overcome to make a nice shelf model.

take a look at the hood on this build

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29407

if your interested i can make you similar decals for this build, that will really make it personal

take a look at the hood on this build

http://www.modelcars...showtopic=29407

if your interested i can make you similar decals for this build, that will really make it personal

I really do appreciate that. I think for my concept on this particular build it wouldn't fit....... BUT I am planning on a build here shortly for my 16 year old daughter who is driving me nuts for a VW Bug. When I start on that project I think that could be arranged.