Model Cars Magazine Forum

Input needed on a 1960 Impala

I really do appreciate that. I think for my concept on this particular build it wouldn't fit....... BUT I am planning on a build here shortly for my 16 year old daughter who is driving me nuts for a VW Bug. When I start on that project I think that could be arranged.

ill be around, just drop me a PM and we'll work something out

Maybe I'm bit late writing this thing here, but to get that '60 Impala look correct, it needs some work on the chassis and engine bay. The Revell '60 Impala kit shares the chassis with Revell '59 Impala, which has the spare tire casing next to the fuel tank. 1960 Impala hasn't that casing, because in '60, spare tire used to be in the trunk. That needs to be removed from the chassis. Also, these Revell kits (1959 and 1960) are sharing the engine. If you are planning to use that 348" which comes with the kit, then you must leave the "power steering pump" to the box, because '60 Impala had no that kind of pump there. Also engine is sitting way too back! But I think, that the problem is easy to solve. Because on the body, there is the thing, which holds the hood on its place. Saw that off and build little "brackets" to the side of the hood, they will keep the hood on its place.

With those modifications, it's going to look like '60 Impala. Then some detail, good paintjob and clean building, there comes very nice model. Here is one picture to you, it's for the engine problem, that it is way too back.

P2270904-1.jpg

Hope this helps you. :(

EDIT: Here is a full picture of my '60 Impala Mild Custom.

P2270899.jpg

P2270900.jpg

Edited by W-409

Another thing that has already been touched on but not fleshed out in the ideas is interior detailing. A well-painted dashboard may look good, but seat belts, decal gauges, photo-etched badging, radio bezels, and other finer details can really make a model that much more special. Putting yourself (or the person you're doing the model for...) INTO the car mentally goes a long way in the land of detailing. Are the seats vinyl, cloth, or leather? Is the ceiling the same color as the carpeting? Can you reach the dash and change a station on that radio? Can you pop the hood, remove the air filter, and change the plug wires? Are there clear markings in the engine bay like header markings, caution or warning labels on the fan housing, and oil and air filter labels? Aluminum or factory radiators, plastic or metal fans, stock or high performance motor, etc...

Use your imagination!

seat belts, decal gauges, photo-etched badging, radio bezels, and other finer details can really make a model that much more special.

Use your imagination!

Yes, that's true what he says! But for the seat belts, of course they were in the option list, but every '60 Impala had not seat belts from the factory... That's if you are building this one factory stock... Of course if it will have lots of options, then go ahead!

I hope to figure out how to place pics on the website sometime today. I have the top portion of the body in paint. Candy apple red. Turned out REALLY nice for me.

This wont be stock and I will make the model to my tastes and talent. I am learning more and more as I go.

You guys help out a lot.

I would love to see more tutorial videos from guys on here though. Maybe one on how to BMF a model. :(

Thanks fellas

The bottom hasn't been painted as of yet. Plan on BMF the model out when all the painting is complete. Hope to put the pearl white on today. Whoever suggested a dehydrator is a pure genius.

Also, be kind. I am new at all of this and this is my first time posting a picture of my work. This is my HOBBY. I do this for a stress relief from my EXTREMELY stressful job. Loving kind constructive criticism is accepted. :(

2011-05-18_17-46-33_867.jpg

I hope to figure out how to place pics on the website sometime today. I have the top portion of the body in paint. Candy apple red. Turned out REALLY nice for me.

This wont be stock and I will make the model to my tastes and talent. I am learning more and more as I go.

You guys help out a lot.

I would love to see more tutorial videos from guys on here though. Maybe one on how to BMF a model. :(

Thanks fellas

Keith...get a free photobucket account.

Then follow Clays tut on posting if needed.

Spencer shows you how....