Model Cars Magazine Forum

need to see some of your guys custom king sized sleepers

So im planning a huge custom rig soon that will be having a extreamly large sleeper unit. Im looking for some advice and some insperation. So if you got tips and pics of what you guys did i would be very thank full. Thanks in advance

Kevin, I sure you've seen this one, but just in case here it is again.

HPIM3010.jpg

It is scaled to a 180 inch sleeper, and one tip I can give you to start is don't try to do one with a curved roof!! It was a pain to shape the roof just right to blend with the stock kit roof I cut and started with! If you want to check out the build thread, here's the link.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28849

Also, since I love the custom sleepers, here are a few pics I have of some others, and the first is in mind for another build once the Ford is finally finished.

This one has a 230" sleeper, and from my research, that is the largest available at this time.

ICTCustom230inchsleeper.jpg

335783999_o.jpg

I'm not sure of the sizes of these ones, but they show a little of the range of sizes from the extreme above to a more common stretch sleeper of around 144 inches.

dream_kenworth-2b_dbis.jpg

Y1WX1P2YMECT0M6Z.jpg

T05D4PCWU6993CXO.jpg

Finally, a little idea for the interior, if you might want to build the interior for it.

I6K1A8GP49PDLMNP.jpg

PAME4JF3IAULZIYJ.jpg

Here are a couple very useful links for two of the custom sleeper builders.

Indiana Custom Trucks (ICT Sleepers)

ARI Legacy Sleepers

Any questions or if you want more pics, don't be afraid to PM me! :angry:

my profile pic is my 359 pete with 180"bunk..when i figure how to post pics i will send..

Yea I cant figure it out either ever time go to my photobucket to post says my pic to pic to load never have that problem anywhere else. not to smart in my old age guess.:angry:

Guys, if you need help with posting pictures then try this out. Posting pictures

You will need to go through all the pages as I have updated them as photobucket changed

2000/04 Ex hood Pete.11.5 ARI? This belongs to a friend of mine.if you look on hanks site,(Peterbuilt) should more of it.

I think Photobucket has made some changes.At one time there was 2 links now just one. Been using it for a year now,but in the last few month's been having trouble using it. So here is the page link.

>http://s927.photobucket.com/albums/ad119/clay_023/Big%20walkin%20sleepers/?action=view&current=allenpetathome.jpg<

Try this link as well fixed it(think)

allenpetathome.jpg

Edited by clayton

Photobucket try this out. when you click on a photo look for (share this photo)see if you have a IMG CODE.

IF NOT click the (Share).

Then a windows tab will open up and look for(GET LINK CODE)at the bottom look under

(IMG for bulletin boards & forums) check the (IMG box) then save. try that and see if it works. I been having a time with the bucket my self the last few Month's.

passsidefrontcornerdone.jpg

leftfrontofcornersnowwhite.jpg

Both are Revell 359's. how ever long the sleeper is add that much to the Frame and keep in mind the pin on the trailer/how much over hang your going to have from the 5th wheel too the back of sleeper.I think I went by a 36" setting. B);)

did not think if it on the brown one.Now when I use a trailer Have too move the pin foreword about 0.5MM or so.

Both are Revell 359's. how ever long the sleeper is add that much to the Frame and keep in mind the pin on the trailer/how much over hang your going to have from the 5th wheel too the back of sleeper.I think I went by a 36" setting. :):)

did not think if it on the brown one.Now when I use a trailer Have too move the pin foreword about 0.5MM or so.

Clayton brings up a good point Kevin, if you are thinking of a working truck with a trailer, the distance between the sleeper and the fifth wheel mounts plus where the kingpin on the trailer is mounted is critical. I did much the same on my Ford as Clayton said on his Peterbilt and added the length of the sleeper to the length of the frame, and also mocked it up before assembly for my personal tastes as well. I have always tried to set my fifth wheel so that the front of the trailer hangs over the top of the front quarter fenders that are the "mudflaps" in front of the first set of rear drive tires. You can see what I mean with this pic, even though it is still just a little farther back than I would have it set on a 1:1 rig.

HPIM1775.jpg

The personal taste part in my case mostly comes from the fact I normally found with the fifth wheel set at that position, I usually could scale the axle weights close to equal on the drive tires and trailer tandem tires just by moving the trailer axles, which results in a much smoother ride when the weights are close to equal. It also made a nice place to "hide" during one of those quick side of the road "pit stops"! :P

Even though this one doesn't have a custom sleeper, I also set this one the same way.

HPIM1522.jpg

That is just something to keep in mind, and especially if you will have a trailer on it.

Do these sleepers affect you ability to haul loads? I mean they're long, they're heavy, they have to affect your fuel milage & your overall weight & length. What can you haul with these? Furniture? A 32ft trailer with bread? You're probably not hauling lowboys with heavy equipment.

Do these sleepers affect you ability to haul loads? I mean they're long, they're heavy, they have to affect your fuel milage & your overall weight & length. What can you haul with these? Furniture? A 32ft trailer with bread? You're probably not hauling lowboys with heavy equipment.

where i work we have one with a 180" sleeper and it hauls a 53'trailer loaded with bread every day..

Jim, you'd actually be surprised, I've seen one or two hauling lowboys in my time! Now of course, I think the load was a tank too, or another type of speciallized government cargo, so Uncle Sam might look the other way on weights! :D

The most common I've seen while on the road was either moving vans or enclosed car carriers, Reliable Carriers have many custom sleeper units like this one.

359largecarStIgn.jpg

The only limitations I could think of is maybe you can't haul as much as a normal truck, and I surely wouldn't want to try to back into a tight dock!! ;):lol: