Model Cars Magazine Forum

at what temperature does plastic become brittle ?

I would be more concerned about high temps than low temps, Blake. Even down at -50* F, as long as they're not handled and shaken, the plastic should be fine.

Make sure to protect them from snow ppl_ninjafist.gifs.

I could see extremely cold temperatures causing more issue with decals than with the plastic. But I am not really sure about that.

That and the possibility of condensation being caused by temperature differences. If I were you Blake, I would at least get the decals out of the kits and keep them at your house.

That and the possibility of condensation being caused by temperature differences. If I were you Blake, I would at least get the decals out of the kits and keep them at your house.

At the absolute minimum, I'd put the decals into Zip-Lock type sandwich bags. Make sure you get all the air out of the bags first.

Charlie Larkin

The cold may not ruin the plastic but I can say with some confidence that the condensation that can occur with temperature flux can warp boxes and/or decals. Depending on how much humidity there is, I've also seen frost build in storage units when temps drop after a mild or sunny winter day. Seems worse closer to the ground than shelved up above and most noticeable during warming spring temps. I keep my crummy stuff in a storage unit but not my good stuff.

At the absolute minimum, I'd put the decals into Zip-Lock type sandwich bags. Make sure you get all the air out of the bags first.

Charlie Larkin

I knew I forgot something, thanks Charlie! ;)

Do not forget about bugs.....yup, termites and silverfish to name a couple that will wreck decals, instructions , and boxes.

You do need a warm, moist environment for most issues and most commercial units are climate controlled.....

termites eat cellulose thats what paper is made from, silverfish eat starches...found in glue...decals ;)

Heat will damage the plastic, cold will not....