Model Cars Magazine Forum

Removing Mold Release Agents - A New Way

Removing mold release agents can be a bit of a bother, especially on resin items. The other night, while cleaning up a resin body, I decided to experiment a little - and with great success.

Many of us wear eyeglasses, myself included. I've gotten into the habit of keeping a spray bottle of eyeglass lens cleaner both at my computer desk and at my modeling workbench. This stuff works great on eyeglasses, getting off everything from sweat to skin oils. Feeling the soapiness of the resin body, I decided to try the eyeglass cleaner on it. The stuff worked very well. Spray it on, wipe it off. The stuff contains isopropyl alcohol and it seems to cut right through surface oils. It works great on regular styrene also, and because it's alcohol based, it should not cause any damage to the resin or plastic.

Eyeglass cleaner spray is available at every large drug chain such as Walgreens, CVS, Eckerds, Drug Fair, and more. Give it a try!