Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1/16 Street Charger

This kit does share much tooling with the DoH kit, like the chassis and much of the engine. I have 2 of the mid-80's reissue of this kit when it was molded in red but otherwise the same. Like the Doh, it won't build stock but it is a cool kit and a great starting point for a street machine or updating for a pro touring car or even a vintage Nascar. The body is a 73/74 Charger and like the DoH the front wheel openings are flaired and not stock. IF I didn't already have 2 of them I would be all over this reissue as the 71-74 Chargers are my favorite cars. (disclaimer: my first car was a 71 Charger...)

If you guys have any more questions I could pull out my kits and take pics.

Actually both kits seemed to have started as the clear-bodied Richard Petty Charger- the blower, stock seats, and 71-72 style hidden headlight grille added to make the street machine- the General Lee body and wheels being hastily switched to cash in on the Dukes craze the first time around

Round2 had mentioned, via their blog, they may backdate this kit to the Clear Body Petty version, and it sounds like that's going to happen, but only after the Street Charger is produced one last time:

"MPC reincarnates the super-detailed 1/16 scale Street Charger for one limited and final production run."

http://round2models.com/models/mpc/big-street-charger

That's either good or bad news, but at least it sounds like the Petty kit is moving forward (or backward, maybe? B) ).

Kool to see this one back before it's gone forever :) ...."Final production run"

MPC "Retooled" the 1/16 PETTY Charger Nascar kit back in 1978, as the Street Charger, molded in black, with a typical 70's street machine look, the kit was available until the mid 80's (also in red plastic), long gone for over 20+ years

Looks like R2 will make a last run of this one, before they "reverse" it back to it's original PETTY version. :D

That'll be great for all the Street Charger fans out there. My question is this: how will this affect the anticipated reissue of the Petty/Baker Charger that was slated for later??

i want to say i read somehwere on here that the intend is to do a run of the streetcharger before turning the molds back into the Petty car (which i guess it was to begin with)

though i could be wrong

Does this come with a REAL interior or is it gutted out like the DoH Charger? I mean like with a FULL tub or platform style of interior bucket? The DoH Charger I had was more like a nascar racer than the Dukes 69 Charger!!!!

If its interior is anything like the later , modified-reissue ( red one with Champion 500 wheels ) version , then yes , it has a full , stock-style interior similar to a '73/'74 Charger S.E. bucket .

I have both the black one and the red one, both are built, i built the blac one when it first came out and i bought the red version off ebay. The only thing i didnt realy care for its got pretty much a nascar front suspention, it dosent have fenderwells under the hood, But i will buy a couple more of these. thank you for bringing the back

I've never heard of the "Super Charger", but a wild guess in the dark I'd say it would probably be just like the recently released reissue of the General Lee. I would guess it would be from the same tooling.

The 'Super Charger' was the 1:25th MPC '74 Charger reissue from the '80s, molded in red.

This 1:16th kit was issued as the 'Street Charger', two releases--one molded in black and one in red (in the 80s).I don't know if there was any differences between them...I have the red one, unbuilt. Has a stock interior, body is '73/74 style but w/ NASCAR style wide wheel well openings, and a '71 grille. Nicer than the Dukes Charger IMHO which had a crappy non-stock interior..

Edited by Rob Hall

Yes this model started out as the Richard Petty 1974 (43) Dodge Charger, was very detailed. Later there re-released as the Street Charger still had the stock car under pinings, but was made to look like a street car. I have both of them, the Petty Carger was a clear body and the Street Charger was a white body.

What I'd reallylike to see done with this kit's moulds after this release , and after the NASCAR re-release , is for the moulds to be modified into a stock'71-'74 Charger ! Maybe since it's already got the '73-'74 Charger quarter window arrangement , it'd be easier to just make it a model from those years .

But , then again , I'd really like to see a 16th scale '71 Demon , '72 Charger Rallye , '70 Duster , '72 Road Runner ... I'd even take one of those in 25th scale !