Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1/16 Street Charger

• 3 weeks later...

I have the original realesed Petty Charger...still have the kit carboard box top stored away. I built mine straight from the box and added some engine detail, as have been said before it a great replica of mid/late 1970"s NASCAR stock car, very detailed engine,chassis,drum-brakes...it even have the special Richard Petty head piece "iron" logo on top of the racing seat!!

The clear body was an "issue" for some who....like myself....would like a regular solid white plastic body...the clear body never the less have the right proportions and great look of the real car...is just that is a little fragile/brittle compared with regular white styrene plastic used in the regular kits.

I also have the Dukes of Hazzards Charger.....that one is, well..a marketing venture of the times when the TV series was an ongoing hit, unfortunately the body of that early Charger offering is not fully accurate, it have the "NASCAR" round oppenings in the front wheel fenders, mine was also assembled and was a little detailed,it fell out of a storage shelf, front two wheels broke off and the model have been collecting dust in a corner of my workroom ever since!!!

Now, the moment the 1/16 Petty Charger is reissued, I will get at least two....one will be backdated to the 1971 body....love the look of that one....and the other will be done as one of the many diferent small diferent detail versions he raced, so it can keep company to my original build...which is nothing great but still one of my favorites!!....LONG LIVE THE KING!!!

Edited by Plasticfanatic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Both of these kits were based on '70s NASCAR kits one was a Buddy Baker number 71, IIRC it was molded in red, & the well remembered later '71-'74 Richard Petty version that was molded in clear, I believe this kit was issued with decals to make it a Baker/Bobby Isaac K&K Insurance number 71 also, looking with anticipation for these releases, but will pass on the "Street" version.

• 4 months later...

This is my review of MPC's new Street Charger kit. It is 1/16 scale and is part of MPC's "1 Run of Fun" series. This is a very limited production run, after the run is over, the kit will be backdated to the Richard Petty NASCAR version.

MPC reincarnates the super-detailed 1/16 scale Street Charger for one limited and final production run. This wild machine based on an early 70's Dodge Charger includes a racing-inspired suspension with a fully blown and injected motor. It comes complete with ignition, fuel and oil lines for the ultimate in large scale detail. Chrome slotted mag wheels wrapped in big and little hollow vinyl tires plant this monster's feet firmly on the asphalt. A removable hood, posable front steering, authentic interior components and custom stripe decals complete the package. MPC's Street Charger. Big, bold and beautiful!

Scale: 1/16

Skill Level: 3 (ages 12 and up)

Glue assembly, paint required

Molded in white, clear and clear red with chrome plated parts

Hollow vinyl tires

Detailing tubing and wire

Includes water release decals

Instruction booklet

Edited by Mr. Moparman

Great video, i built both of these when they came out, this one and the red one. Ive had them packed away forever but your video has made me think about getting them out and redoing them. Also they put the clear valvecover in there that way you can see the details of the head. Keep it up

Thanks for your review !

I had the red version (c.early 80's) and had a helluva time building it back then !

It's nice to see the good wheels instead of those grotesque 80's "Champ 500" wheels in the red version .

What I liked about this kit was its inclusion of casting dates and part numbers on the block (!!) ; and now it's cool that a clear valve cover was added so that the rocker assembly can be seen (great job , Round2 !)

I'd really like to see this backdated to a stock '71-'74 Charger , but I doubt that'll ever happen :( ...

I'm going to buy one of these and just have fun with it . I can see it in pearl light green or pearl white , either colour with those gold stripes !

Does anyone know if the body is the same as the 70's or 80's release? The 80's release had the same firewall as the general lee, which was a little smaller, the 70's release had the firewall like the stockcar version, a snug fit to the body, but with the battery box removed so it was totally flat.

I got mine in the mail today, and I see it is more like a recasting of the red 80's version in most ways, has the general lee firewall, has the optional dual carbs, and has the 80's chargers rear tires which annoyingly are lower profile than the front tires which are the fat and tall NASCAR tires the 70's one used. Thankfully it does have the 70's slot mags, I think I'll swap the front tires for smaller ones I think. Still great to see it back. :D

• 11 months later...

I have the black street charger, the red super charger the dukes charger and the buddy baker charger. not sure but from what i have seen the Richard petty charger was first then the buddy baker charger. Looking at the floor pan from the buddy baker car and the black street charger they are 99% the same other than in the street charger they tooled the tunnel as to look like carpet and the fire wall does not have the place for the battery. So other than adding the blower and interior parts and wide rear wheels and removing all the NASCAR parts its the same kit. So in thought the run would be petty/baker NASCAR then the street charger as they are cast the same with very little change. Then the dukes charger and last the super charger. Like i said i have all 4 kits and looking at them that's the changes i'v seen.