Model Cars Magazine Forum

Benz Mercs.....

Guest zebm1

Guest zebm1

Having nevah done this before, please bear with me. I have seen as how some of yall luve those german Mercs....and having always had a hard time turning down real steals..er ahem deals, I bought these two for 10 bucks a piece. So I thought I would share them with yall.

Probably do this in two posts, around 20 pics. Crtiques welcomed. :wink:

100_0816.jpg

actually 3 kits, forgot tha wheels for tha S 500

100_0812.jpg

100_0813.jpg

Protar S 500

100_0802.jpg

100_0800.jpg

100_0799.jpg

100_0798.jpg

I wish it were not silver plastic, don't know if tha rear view shows tha prominent swirl mark and tha inside view shows a very deep undercut for a sunroof...and tha chrome looks like a satin finish, not sure this is correct? :( , but other wise it's a pretty clean curbside.

zeb

Guest zebm1

As I said before...critques welcomed, I should add that I am not a big fan of removing tha parts from their bags until I'm ready to model them, but if neccessary---suggest.

From Revell - Germany, .....I think.

100_0816.jpg

100_0811.jpg

100_0803.jpg

100_0807.jpg

100_0806.jpg

100_0810.jpg

100_0809.jpg

100_0808.jpg

This looks like a much nicer kit, no flash that I can find and mold lines are very small, complete engine and goof chrome. :(

zeb

Guest zebm1

No Hardtop Bill, but I'd bet yu could reconfigure tha uptop with some creative modeling. :wink:

I wonder what class of amateur racer this cabrio would run in, anybody know? :D

zeb

Zeb,

That 300SL-24 indeed is Revell Germany, vintage around 1990. Revell USA issued the kit also for a short time in a short-lived "Premium" series around 1991. It's quite a nice model indeed.

Besides Revell, Tamiya and Fujimi also did kits of that vintage Mercedes SL. The Japanese kits are of the 5 litre V8 powered 500SL version, while Revell Germany's piece has the 3 litre 24 valve straight six (hence 300SL-24). If you really wanted a hardtop on the Revell kit, you could swipe it from Tamiya's or Fujimi's and make it fit.

Zeb,

The Protar S500 is the same plastic as the Revell Germany S500 and the Italeri S600 (except the Italeri kit has different wheels). I did a full review of the Italeri kit in MODEL CARS a couple of years ago, I don't know exactly in what issue it was published at the moment. It's very workable, but the "back-less" seats aggravated me a bit, and the flimsy axle pins will need replacement by some metal items.

The Fujimi gold wire wheels look good, but they might just look a tad small in the wheel wells of the big S. I used Fujimi's AMG 18 inchers on mine, and those meats filled up the wells real nicely.

FYI, Protar was bought by Italeri three years ago.