Model Cars Magazine Forum

Resin Casting Clear and Tinted Clear Parts

Hey Greg and Jarius,

New to the whole Resin Casting process, and have only really done just a bit of reading about it. My question is, how would I go about casting Clear, Frosted Clear, and Tinted Clear parts?? I know most would suggest vacuum form the parts, but what I am attempting to replicate have molded in mounting lock tabs on the bottom that need to be there.

From what I have read, everybody suggests that I have an air-compresser/air-tank. and pressure pot, to remove any air-bubbles that might occur. Since I don't have either, do you have any suggestions as to what I can do(can I use a filled cheap air-tank, since the parts are small??)??

Material wise, what would you suggest or recommend for parts that may be exposed to high heat temps(The parts are small Auto Lamp Lenses).

Thanks in Advance, and My Apologies for Grammar/Punctuation/Etc errors.

Dragon

Guest zebm1

Hiya Dragon, no need to appoligize for tha grammar, etc., most everyone in here at least gradded (graduated) hi school.

A word to tha wise Dragon, Yu should go back and read tha rules, tha most required custom in here is that yu place yur real name in tha signature box in yur profile......OR Gregg's Chat Copper StateTrooper.jpg who drives this auto090.gif is gonna pull yu over for driving an Unlicensed Hot Rod.

Catch mo' bees with honey than vinegar. :mrgreen:

As to casting, don't scrimp on tha equipment, if yur going to do hi-pressure air to de-gas, get a real pressure vessel, yu don't want yur tank to turn into shrapnel right in front of yur face. On tha vacuum, yu need to regulate tha process. Bring in down, stop, bring it down some more, stop..etc. Tha resin expands under vacuum...some say 2X some 4X.....then yu pour. :(

As to tha clears, etc., yu need someone with more experience than I in shop processes re: this stuff. Yu need an eggspert. :wink:

zeb

AlumiLite sells some clear casting resins.

As do some others, and I have a series of articles planned on this.

As for air tanks and resin casting, they don't remove air bubbles in a sense, they just compress them until they are no longer bad little boys

http://www.alumilite.com/checkout/index.ph...1c1753905b2c652

This is the clear resin from AlumiLite

Zeb Thanks for the Reply,Advice, and Heads up 8) Funny Gregg's Chat Copper looks alot like my Great GrandFather on my Dad's side. He was a Retired Army Officier, who was one of the Last of their Mounted Calvary Soldiers. So he drive's a Crown Vic eh :?: Personally I drive an '96 Ex one of these

flashingcaprice.gif Hope he can keep up :mrgreen: :)

As for scrimping on the equiptment, I wouldn't if I could, but my space is definately limited. I live in a 1br. Condo with my Girlfriend, so I got to keep things to easily stashable. Definately don't need to tell me about a pressure tank to turn into shrapnel, had a paint pressure tank turn into one :o Dang thing was old and sensitive, since the one of the latches was damaged in the past(done by a previous student), the top blew off and took the roof of the truck I was working on with it (Truck luckily had no glass) Glad it was do to be scrapped anyways :shock:

Gregg Thanks for your response, and info as well 8) I will be looking forward to your article series.

I Appreciate the link(added to Favs :wink: ), looks like I will be putting this project back on the back burner till I can get a workspace for the equiptment needed..

Guest zebm1

Hiya Rob, my Dad waz in tha Pennsylvania National Guard waay back in 1939/40/41. It waz a cavalry Regiment and I still have pictures. Dad said they drove around in trucks....then stopped, bivwacked, saddled their Nags and rode around doing manouvers. :):o

zeb

Hiya Rob, my Dad waz in tha Pennsylvania National Guard waay back in 1939/40/41. It waz a cavalry Regiment and I still have pictures. Dad said they drove around in trucks....then stopped, bivwacked, saddled their Nags and rode around doing manouvers. :lol::lol:

zeb

Heya Zeb, Kool on your Dad's National Guard Reg. My Great Grandfather was a WWI Vet. and of another conflict(can't rmember which.). Always was told that his Army Reg was one of the last Mounted Calvary Combat Regs(heard that we did have them here still State side), due to the High Number of them being used for Cannon Fodder, my Great Gramps included(suffered a Cannon related head injury, so severe they thought he was dead :shock: ).. I always enjoy looking at the Ol' Pics, the main ones I saw was of my GGF in uniform posing for my GGM and his Family, also one of him in his uniform posing with my GGM. My Great Aunt had a pic of an Officier on his horse that she used to show off when I was little, but I can't remember if it was of her Brother, or of her Boyfriend at the time :? My Great Aunt has long since passed away, and since my Family wasn't too close with her's, the pic is long gone I'm affraid :)

I have cast taillights with nothing more than tin foil used as a mold!

For that I mix epoxy resin, 15min epoxy or fiberglass resin with Tamiya clear red Acrylic. Looks pretty good and won't take much red paint to tint it.

:(

If you really need the mounting pin then stick a clear rod into the back of the resin before it drys!

Why make it more complicated than it needs to be?

I just bought a new Flatbed scanner, soons I get it set up, I'll scan some pics, my e-mail is listed. Send me and I send ya some.

zeb

Sorry Zeb, not understanding what you are asking for :?: My email addy(added to my posts just incase) maybe, or copies of Family pics :?: :?:

I have cast taillights with nothing more than tin foil used as a mold!

For that I mix epoxy resin, 15min epoxy or fiberglass resin with Tamiya clear red Acrylic. Looks pretty good and won't take much red paint to tint it.

:D

If you really need the mounting pin then stick a clear rod into the back of the resin before it drys!

Why make it more complicated than it needs to be?

Great suggestion for the smaller parts that I want to cast Jarius, so Thanks 8)

As for the mounting tabs/pins, the part that I am looking to cast and make copies of, is of a 1:1 scale light lense that has claw type mounting tabs at the bottom to hold it in place(In my 1:1 scale version of my flashing black and white .gif I posted above.). The original lense is hard to find, and expensive when you do. I'm looking to add another one to my car, and make some spares for down the road.

Guest zebm1

I didn't see that yur e-mail waz up Rob. What I said, in my own convoluted way, Gregg's got me on Restriction (says I gotta--oops-- write in tha Queen's English in here. I thought we had a Revolution so that we didn't have to do as tha Brits do) -- is that when I get my new Flatbed Scanner up and running...that I'll send yu some pics of my Dad's Calvary regiment. :(

zeb

I didn't see that yur e-mail waz up Rob. What I said, in my own convoluted way, Gregg's got me on Restriction (says I gotta--oops-- write in tha Queen's English in here. I thought we had a Revolution so that we didn't have to do as tha Brits do) -- is that when I get my new Flatbed Scanner up and running...that I'll send yu some pics of my Dad's Calvary regiment. :D

zeb

Whoa you mean that they can put you on restriction where you have to speak Queen's English :?: :shock: :o Kool 8) :lol:

Here I got to try this out it has been awhile(Not! :D :wink: ).

Let me grab my Deer Stalkers Hat and Calabash Pipe

holmesanimated.gif

"In my best Stodgy Englishman's voice"

I say your quite right my dear Zeb. I do believe we did have a Revolution with Britannia, and no longer have to follow their rule. I took the liberty of adding my Addy with my last response, post haste, so that you can chatter with me if you liked. "Pinkie finger in air" Seeing pics of your Dad's Calvary Regiment sounds Jolly Good Ol' Chap! I don't as of yet have any of my Great Gramps to send in return, so Apologies there, but I hope to go visit my GrandFather soon, so I'll see if I can't atleast make copies with my camera phone!

Pip Pip Cheerios and All that Rubbish!

To quote Johnny Rotten "God Save The Queen!"

I'm going to have to send you all to your rooms.

Queen's English?

Don't get me started on that.

Speaking in slang is one thing, writing in slang is another.

I am really get sick and tired of seeing slang writen on this board.

Come on, people

I hear so much about how educated people are, bragging on certifications, shooling, etc, yet putting words on paper (so to speak) is something so foreign... is that so hard to do?

Speak slang...fine

but write proper

and no, I'm not a fan of Queen's English (whatever that is)....

I'm going to have to send you all to your rooms.

Queen's English?

Don't get me started on that.

Speaking in slang is one thing, writing in slang is another.

I am really get sick and tired of seeing slang writen on this board.

Come on, people

I hear so much about how educated people are, bragging on certifications, shooling, etc, yet putting words on paper (so to speak) is something so foreign... is that so hard to do?

Speak slang...fine

but write proper

and no, I'm not a fan of Queen's English (whatever that is)....

D'oh I'll march off to my room if I have too :?: :?: My Apologies if I have upset you Gregg or Jairus :shock: :oops: My silliness was only meant in good fun, but by no means any type of disrespect to you guys, or this forum :D

Like I've mentioned in other posts, I am a Bigg Kidd, and can get a little carried away with having fun at times, but by no means at anyone elses expense....

My Sincerest Apologies if I have Upset or irritated anyone with my antics :?: :?: