Model Cars Magazine Forum

I'm anxious to see this one come together also. With the great work I've seen so far,I'm sure it will turn out really nice! Where did you source the tires Hugh? I would like to have a set or two of those. Last night I watched Walking Tall starring "The Rock" and fell in love with that old F150 that was in the movie. I've gotta build a replica of that truck! Especially since I was already planning on building a short bed 4X4 from this kit.

Thanks Roger. I'm not sure which tires you mean. In the photo where I mocked up the stance, the front tire and wheel are from the Bronco, the back tire is the Lindberg. I'm using the Lindberg tires because they are more like "Mud and Snows", which I run on my 1:1, since it's mostly driven on the street. The Bronco tires are more off-road tires. Another thing I like about the Lindberg tires is they have BF Goodrich lettering on the sidewalls, I have had Goodrich on my truck at one time or another. All the Monogram tires have blank sidewalls. Things are going a little slow now, I'm getting ready to install the engine, which means a lot of pieces all have to fit together at one time, and I only get one shot at it. If it works out, I'll be posting it soon. Thanks again.

We got us a rolling chassis!

frontaxle021.jpg

Added a few last minute details, one of the air pump hoses, starter wire.

frontaxle023.jpg

Dipstick and clutch tubing.

frontaxle017.jpg

Exhaust and drive train installed.

frontaxle020.jpg

Advice and comments always welcome.

nuff for now, more later.

Edited by basher

Chassis looks real nice Hugh. I really like the tires and wheels. Are the tires from the Lindberg kit? Can't wait to see this one come together. I have an '80-'81 F150 that I'm building in a similar style. I need to get to work on it and finish it.

Looking good, I'm doing a similar build of my 1:1 '94 F-150, with an AMT kit though. I chopped up the front suspensionfrom the '80 Bronco as well to get the 4x4. The 4.9 six popper looks great, as does the 5 speed. The wagon wheels look spot on as well, and I always did like them with trim rings. My only suggestion would be to add some round stock to the front center caps to replicate the 4x4 front hubs, since they stick out farther than the rears. Your 1:1 looks pretty clean from a rust standpoint too! I'm wanting to do a build with the Kitchen Table six, and I think yours sold me on it. I wanna build an '92-'96 style XL, 2wd with the six and a 5 speed. As far as the real 4.9 goes, it's oneof the best engines Ford ever produced, IMHO.

Edited by Casey429

Thanks Casey, I appreciate your comments. I thought about those front hubs. There's been a whole bunch of places in this build where I had to ask myself, "Where do I stop?" There are a lot more details I thought about adding, anti-sway bars, brake lines, engine details, seat belts. At some point I had to say good enough and move on. I would like to finish this thing someday.

The ol' 1:1 has a few spots, but not bad considering it has spent its whole life outdoors. I'm a fan of the 4.9 too, this is my second. I liked it better carbureted tho, mo' power and better mileage.

Really exciting update! Lots and lots of white paint... oh, yeah, that's not very exciting, is it? Anyway here it is:

frontaxle026.jpg

I am a BMF virgin, but I guess that's next. I do have one little tidbit for you, the Bronco mirror mounts looked really clunky to me:

frontaxle024.jpg

So I made these. The brackets are already on the cab.

frontaxle025.jpg

Advice and comments always welcome

nuff for now, more later.

Looking real nice Hugh! The work you did on the mirrors is a huge improvement! With the work I've seen so far,I'm sure you won't have any problem with BMF. There's not much chrome on these trucks anyhow. Are you planning on modifying the front bumper to match your real truck? Can't wait to see this one finished!

Thanks Roger, you put your finger right on a sticking point. I've been debating about that front bumper all along. I do not like the rubber molding that's on it, but if I sand it off I have to re-chrome the entire bumper. I've been reading that BMFing a whole bumper doesn't work. I have Alclad, but the only way it works for me is if I shoot it and never touch it again. I have no knowledge about sending something out to be re-chromed. I could definitely use some advice on this one. The other sticking point is the badges. I can't find them anywhere. I have decals, but the badges on my 1:1 are loud and proud, and decals would be a poor substitute. Any help with either of these would be much appreciated.

I think it would be worth the effort to fix the bumper Hugh. You know you'll wish you had if you don't. I don't have any experience with Alclad,but I would think it could be sealed with Future possibly?? On the emblem,I would apply the decal to a piece of .010 styrene and trim it up to match.