Model Cars Magazine Forum

A new AMT Parts Pack from Round 2 ?

SteveG

Interesting... I don't need any slicks, would like to see them do a set of vintage street whitewalls and raised-white letter tires.

If this set is a success... who knows? Count me in as a potential buyer for your proposed set of vintage whitewalls and RWL's. ;)

• 2 months later...

In my Round2 newsletter there was some news about the tires parts pack. Here is a copy of the message,

header.jpg

VOLUME 3: ISSUE 7

tire-header.jpg

Well folks, the Kats at AMT just received production samples of the new Custom & Competition M&H Racemaster Dragster Slicks parts pack, item AMTPP001. If you haven't heard, it's an all new, retro-styled parts pack featuring 8 vintage "pie crust" style drag tires made from all new tooling. The best part: the whitewalls and Racemaster markings are pad-printed on, so you don't have to try and paint those tiny letters on yourself. They are fantastic! Included is an exclusive pair of tires with a special whitewall/red pinstripe design (inspired by a real tire) that is only available in the pack. This exciting new product will be rolling into a hobby shop near you in late August. Don't miss it!

tires-photo01.jpg

The response to AMT's pad-printed Firestone (whitewalls) and M&H (whitewalls and lettering) tires has been outstanding. It's got the Kats already cookin' up more ideas for pad-printed tires to be included in other kits, not to mention more tire packs, too! The next tire to have pad printed lettering added is the "big and tall" hollow MPC M&H Racemaster drag slick that was included in many early MPC kits like the Ramchargers, Wynnscharger, Young American and Cosmic Charger rail dragsters. The Kats had the MH Racemaster letter engraving removed from one side of the tire so it could be replaced with super-fine pad-printed lettering instead. The tire size engraving was left on for maximum realism. The other side of the tire was left with all the original engraving, for those who'd rather use unlettered tires. But, the Kats didn't stop there! In their never-ending quest to make car kit tires cooler, they will be molding the hollow slicks in thermoplastic rubber instead of PVC! You have to see, and touch them to believe it. These super-soft and spongy real rubber tires spring back into perfect shape when compressed and don't suffer sidewall distortion or warpage problems the way hollow PVC tires sometimes can. Several material and hardness combinations were tested before arriving at the new top secret formula!

The first kit to include the pad-printed hollow MPC M&H Racemaster slicks is the upcoming reissue of the Barnabus Vampire Van, this holiday season. The original MPC releases of the Varmpire Van included them and it will again - this time in thermoplastic rubber with pad printed lettering!

tires-photo02.jpg

If you want to see these tires made available in a parts pack, email us and let us know! [ Contact Round2Models.Com about these new tires! ]

It's not my thing but I sure don't recall any prior anouncement about the Barnabus Vampire Van being reissued? Isn't that what the MPC 32 Chevy Panel Truck got turned into ?

Yep. B)

I'll be glad to have that back, though. It's a great base for a '32 Chevy pickup hot rod!

Those vintage pie crusts look fantastic! And the M&H's aren't too shabby either. I'm pre-ordering several sets now. Thanks for the heads-up!

And while we're wishing for new tire tooling's....

et_street_radial_a-vi.jpg

Put your hands together Brothers & Sister's and PRAY someone does these. I mean, only every muscle machine out there ( or so it seems...) are running these!

• 2 weeks later...

Well here we go . . . I find it interesting when something like this is posted everyone jumps on the ol band wagon with their lists, wants, and stuff that only they would have any interest in. Got an idea you think will fly? Get a hold of the aftermarket guys.I 've sent several samples to Alan Rabb at Ma's Resin, He decides if it's worth his time and effort and what do you know, there it is in his catalog. http://public.fotki.com/cnaind/

I've never built one out of box, but the '33 Panel is very nice. The majority of the parts are shared with the Cabriolet- the body, rear doors, windows, and floor are about the only major differences between the kits. I'd love to see Round 2 tool up a new Panel body for the Cabriolet kit... heck, throw in the original Gangbusters parts, too, if the demand is there!

I question whether the '32 cabrio ever will be reissued, though. Doesn't seen to be a big market out there right now for stock-only classics kits.

No, but there is a version of the Cabriolet that has plenty of hot rod parts in it. The last issue of that kit, in the AMT "Connesuer Classics" series had them. It also has a different fender unit from the stock only issue that did not have molded in spare tire wells.