Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Making of a Decal Part 1 Don Prudhomme 1/24 Snake I front engine dragster

im confused, the background seems blue (like the decals in a kit)

but i can see white in the hotwheels decal

what gives ?

your not printing white are ya?

and on a unrelated note, why no background?

(i print decals on white and clear paper with a white background instead of transparant without problems)

Don't leave us hanging Andy! I am very interested. I print my decals out with an HP but have to use white or clear film. The Epson printer (your model is "obsolete" and Epson lists another printer as the replacement) also is a color printer without white printing - unless there is something we don't know about.

Any tutorials on basic photoshop for creating images would be popular too.

Any tutorials on basic photoshop for creating images would be popular too.

I used Photoshop on a regular basis when I was doing web site graphics...there are literally a billion tutorials on the net for anything you might want to do, as well as sites dedicated to PS alone. Google Photoshop Tutorials. The hardest part will probably be finding the time to go through them all!

--- Mike

I think a how too should happen it would out alot of us. And not just one program but maybe other programs that are free online. I think alot of us would benifit from it just for are only use.

John Pol

Edited by misterlegends

I think a how too should happen it would out alot of us. And not just one program but maybe other programs that are free online. I think alot of us would benifit from it just for are only use.

John Pol

free like Gimp?

Yes free like gimp or serif would be neat laern from people that have knowledge of it thats for sure. Just want to use for myself if anybody wants to do how too onit alot of us would benifit from it including me.

John Pol

free like Gimp?

Andy:

I understand how to do the spot color using an Alpha channel in Photoshop. That gives you the spot colors in the file. My question is how do you get the Epson R220 to print white. Epson doesn't show this ink color being available. Where are you getting a cart that will print white?

Mike

im confused, the background seems blue (like the decals in a kit)

but i can see white in the hotwheels decal

what gives ?

your not printing white are ya?

and on a unrelated note, why no background?

(i print decals on white and clear paper with a white background instead of transparant without problems)

Clear decal paper has a clear carrier film and the backing paper is blue in color. Prining on white decal paper (i.e., white carrier film) means any item on the sheet needs to be cut out exactly along the edges, in order to avoid seeing the white edge when the decal is applied to the model. If you're prinitng shapes with straight edges, it's not an issue, but anything with a complex edge is not going to look good when cut out, unless you're perfect with an X-acto knife.

One trick is to make the white areas slightly grey, but this can only fool the eye so much.

IMO, using clear decal paper is the only way to get professional looking results.

Clear decal paper has a clear carrier film and the backing paper is blue in color.

im aware of the differences in white and clear paper, but my clear paper also has white backing

what was throwing me off was the claim of printing white on anything but a alps printer

I like the way yours turned out. I printed these on my Epson Laser, but then didn't like it, so I've gone to a professional printer for help. Not a cheap process, but I have always wanted my own decals. The good thing is that now they'll be available for EVERYBODY! LOL!

023-vi.jpg

024-vi.jpg

I'm still waiting to hear how white can be printed on clear decal paper by an Epson printer. Or did I miss something, and this was printed on white decal paper with the blue background added? I can see that Andy's logo is ghosted across the middle of the sheet.

Edited by sjordan2

I have an Epson S60 with the DuraBrite inks. I have had some issues with them drying on non-porous surfaces. It can take days. Does the R220 you have use the same ink, and if so have you overcome that issue? Care to share how?

And I too would like to know how you are laying down the white. Is it with the R220? Or some other process?

If you are doing a tutorial it would nice to share all the pertinent info so it becomes useful to others, otherwise what is the point...?

Your art looks very nice, but I think the majority of those following this thread would like to know how you print more than how to draw. Thanks.

Yes, I think we are anxious to find out . . . I was under the impression that most printers, except for the Alps, don't print white.

And there are two types of paper available for decals, clear and white. The white is used sparingly but then you have to cut carefully with scissors.

I got tired of playing around (I'd much rather be building models) and that's why I went straight to the printers.