Model Cars Magazine Forum

Styrene shopping list help

Good morning all, I was just wondering if someone could provide some basic must need sizes of Styrene that should be on my workbench. I am not at the point where I need to scratch build yet, but I would like to place an order for everything at once. I am new to scratch building and there are just SO many sizes and I am a bit overwhelmed. I was also looking for some advice on any kind of small copper tubing that is a must need for the workbench. If the list is too big to list, I understand! Any help is greatly appreciated.

Enjoy your Thursday, Don.

P.S. I mainly build 1/24 and 1/25 scale autos

Edited by Davola

The best place to begin is with tubing, both plastic and either brass and/or aluminum (I am thinking the prices will go up any day now!).

Just get a variety of sizes, and that's a good place to start.

The same with sheet styrene. The thinner sizes will work perfectly too.

I believe Plastruct offers variety packages, which would be a good start. Also, if you're trying to replicate items, keep dimensions in mind, such as 0.040" = 1" scale.

And remember, no matter how much plastic stock you have, you'll never have exactly the right size. :D

But I suppose that's what makes it scratchbuilding. :(

I believe Plastruct offers variety packages, which would be a good start. Also, if you're trying to replicate items, keep dimensions in mind, such as 0.040" = 1" scale.

And remember, no matter how much plastic stock you have, you'll never have exactly the right size. :lol:

But I suppose that's what makes it scratchbuilding. :)

Start with a bag of each...under 15.00 for all 3....or omit the #9008 and spend 10.00 for a good start!

I bought those when I started in 07..still have the bags, and bought a lot more since ;)

don't forget a good solvent cement!

Yep... Evergreen #217 rod and tube assortment

and Evergreen #9008 plain assortment

and Evergreen #9002 odds and ends..sheet

Edited by Stasch

When I was buying my first styrene pieces, it was the same way. There is such a huge selection and not a lot out there as far as variety packs. I started out with the evergreen tubing and rod assortment and their odds and ends. That is a great start. If you want a little more to start with, get a couple of each. I have found that the best way to get an assortment of aluminum is through micromark. They have a cheap assortment of tubing from 1/16 to 1/4 inch and all the sizes fit inside each other which is a huge plus. Here is the link.

STewart