Model Cars Magazine Forum

Deepen Door,Hood,Trunk Lines?

Hi All,

I've seen this mentioned and I like to hear other folks thoughts and ideas. How many of you deepen the door,hood etc lines on a regular basis? Why do you do it? Method for doin' it.

Thanks gang,Smokey

Guest Johnny

I just use the back of a #11 blade, gently at first - it's easy to gouge offline! It's done mainly to sharpen up the lines so they don't get buried by coats of paint.

X2 if the lines appear to be shallow I willuse the same technique to deepen them. But as said take it slow and easy.

I do this fairly often, mostly on newer kits. The newer tooling isn't as crisp as a lot of the older stuff. Some older kits, especially ones that have been reissued often, have problems because the tooling has been cleaned or polished with some detail loss. Panel lines are sometimes not deep enough for my tastes, and are occasionally wider than they should be. I'll sometimes scribe around trim too, to better define the edges for later application of foil.

I also do it on almost every model. It makes the panellines more visible and deep and thus, look more realistic when painted. In my opinion at least.

I use a model knife for small lines, and a scribing tool for doors, trunk and hood.