Model Cars Magazine Forum

Removing Paint From Windows

This is a very interesting question as Ive never dumped any clear in the purple pond and can't remember anyone addressing this issue in all the stripper threads here.

This could turn into the MCM Weather Report ... cloudy, partly cloudy or looks like hailstones pounded the window! Will all you strippers please step forward ...

I've had good results by using Castrol Super Clean, aka, Purple Pond. The glass isn't affected by it. Now glue is a different story. I've had some success by sanding the glass and using Novus polishing compound to bring the clear back. Hope this helps. Dan

I just had to do this today, and got good results... Used 2000 wet dry sandpaper to remove the superglue, then brush painted on Future. It works, possibly can show you in pics tomorrow as I need to do the back glass as well.

I have several old kits that had glue marked windows or ones that had decals or had yellowed. One thing I found that works wonderful (I have even used this to polish my paint) is a 3M Headlight restoration kit PN#39008. I picked one up for about $20 dollars, but saw WallyWorld has them online for about $15. It includes several different grit velcro backed sanding pads up to 3000, a foam polishing pad and compound. It all works with a common drill. I use a variety of sanding sticks to take down the glue then once it is level to the plastic use the sanding pads. 3000 grit and the polish left it crystal clear with no sanding or swirl marks. However, this wouldn't be well suited for any glass that has raised or scribed lines molded in to it.