Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 Daytona Pro Mod 1/16th scale updated 4/3/12 ..It's a wrap!

Cant wait to see that PM you have planned Chris, Hey Man wheres the funny car I havent been able to find it, hows that commin? Anyway I purchased some stuff from TDR that should make my job as builder a lil easier can wait to get the parts.

Oh... Oh... sounds like you have been infected by the the TDR bug! Now the excitement of the new parts and that dreaded wait to get them in your hands..

ROM you will be pleasantly surprised when you get the parts, they have great detail and well worth every penny due to the fact that they are 100% Scale... not like some of the Resin parts I have found to be out of scale.

Cant wait to see that PM you have planned Chris, Hey Man wheres the funny car I havent been able to find it, hows that commin? Anyway I purchased some stuff from TDR that should make my job as builder a lil easier can wait to get the parts.

Hey Rom... I am very excited about my up comming Pro Mod build. I have the subject in hand and just need to acquire more parts for that build. The funny car is over in the drag racing section. I havent had much time lately to get back to that build due to work. But hoping to get some bench time this week. My chassis refab worj is pretty much done. just have to add a few more minor mounting tabs and bracket, then i can finall get some primer on that bad boy. that is awesome to hear you have purchased some stuff from TDR. I cant wait for mine to get here and check it out.

Hey thx Joe , I have a question for you guys.... Does the rear trunk hatch fasten down with zeus fastners (dont know if I spelled that right :blink: ) or is it usually hinged ? any photos you may want to provide will be more than welcomed. :)

rearhatch001.jpg

Photo curtisy of old aftashox archives

With fastners, it is easier and faster to get off and out of the way. You will just need to thin the deck lid and the area around your hole to add the material to hold it into place to look like the fiberglass body.

Hey thanks for the info Bart , the body has already been thinned down I just used an old picture to show where I was talking about. ;)

Rom... Looking good buddy. You will want to go with the Dzus fasteners on the deck lid. I would also want to recommend putting some on your front clip as well. If you take a look at pro mods and pro stock cars you will see they all are using them. Can't wait to see more of this Bad Boy... Keep up the killer work

well fellas I got the window frames made and installed on the doors . The frames are made from brass (like most of the car) and they have been drilled to accept the riviets that will hold the windows on. Also I cut the door handles down to a more scale size. not much more to explaine so I hope you enjoy.

Thx fellas for the many compliments.

Started with a square piece of brass tube.

windowframe001.jpg

soldered to make this

windowframe002.jpg

This small piece of wire supports the window frame and also makes it possible to adjust the angle of the frame as needed.

windowframe004.jpg

finished frame drilled for window rivets

windowframe006.jpg

Heres the frame attached to the door , And no the frame isnt supposed to fit snuggly in the door, its just a support for the window.

windowframe007.jpg

Hope you enjoyed see ya real soon, yall come back now ya hear! :D

Rom, would you mind sharing the measurements (and size of the brass square tube) for the frame and drill-size of the holes ?

What are you using for rivets ?

Are there any good sites to visit for the right measurements ?

I know, quite a few questions but I'm trying to learn as much as possible from this build3

I just love the way you approach these things.

Keep it coming, I can hardly wait to see more...

Mark

Rom, would you mind sharing the measurements (and size of the brass square tube) for the frame and drill-size of the holes ?

I know, quite a few questions but I'm trying to learn as much as possible from this build3

Mark

I'll try to answer these questions to the best of my ability ., the rod is about 2mm square I got the rod from a bag of bits and pieces they sell at the local hobby store. I used a #61 drill bit to drill the holes , I got the rivets from Scale Hardware the part number is RIVT-07-S comes in a bag of 100 these are 0.7mm a scale 1 inch. As for a website I dont have any website you can visit but if you ask the right question here on the forums you will get an answer. There are lots of knowlagable builders here that would be more than happy to help you out. Thanks for you compliments Make and I hope I was able to help a lil. B)

Mark

I'll try to answer these questions to the best of my ability ., the rod is about 2mm square I got the rod from a bag of bits and pieces they sell at the local hobby store. I used a #61 drill bit to drill the holes , I got the rivets from Scale Hardware the part number is RIVT-07-S comes in a bag of 100 these are 0.7mm a scale 1 inch. As for a website I dont have any website you can visit but if you ask the right question here on the forums you will get an answer. There are lots of knowlagable builders here that would be more than happy to help you out. Thanks for you compliments Make and I hope I was able to help a lil. B)

Let me see if I can be of some assistance and give you some insight for the 1:1 application.

Mark, I know you asked ROM about his specific application, so by all means if you are going for this technique use what he has provided.

Now based on the QuarterMax site, Rivets are either 1/4" or 3/16" so the .7mm would be out of scale with the 1" measurement. As ROM said Scale Hardware is where you can find the parts. To scale down to the 1/4" you would use the .4mm which is .016" just my quick scan I don't see anything that will scale down to the 3/16" in an actual Rivet, you would need to probably make your own.

ROM has went with a Square tubing around his windows and that worked for him. On a real 1:1 it is somewhere in the realm of 1/4" round maybe even 3/16" for the light weight window kit. I am sure Dave can chime in and give more specific's

Here is a quick pic for you of the inside of a door.

Light-Weight-Window-Frame-Kit-Prodview.jpg

Edited by eviltwincustoms

you gonna make me step my game up huh Bart ok then this ones for you baby!

After reviewing the window frame and seeing that i had no excuse for not doing it correctly (other than being lazy and trying to rush) I decieded that Bart is correct if im gonna do it,... it should be done right. So I went back to the drawing board to design a more accurate window support. Heres what I came up with.

started witha piece of brass wire shaped to the window

newwindowframes001.jpg

next step was to soldermore wire onto the the frame (thx for the extra work Bart :angry: ) lol no really thank you

newwindowframes002.jpg

After cutting I have this still have some filing and clean up to do....

newwindowframes003.jpg

heres the partially done frame on the door .....

newwindowframes005.jpg

not done yet some of these will be removed for proper spacing. so stay tunned for more to come...I hope you enjoyed

newwindowframes006.jpg

typically the tubing around the window is 3/8" chromemoly. there are typically tabs welded to the tubing. the bolt size is typically a 10/32 button head or (if you are into a lot more work) a flathead. i say typically as there are as many variations as there are stars in the sky. these numbers will put you in the ball park.

013-1.jpg

Edited by comp1839