Model Cars Magazine Forum

`86 Trans Am

Hawk312

As I mentioned in my progress thread, I am taking a break from the commissioned builds, I am starting to build stuff that I like, and always wanted to build. I am actually in the process of restoring a real 1:1 `86 Trans Am just like the one I had out of high school. At the time, when I was considering buying it, I had to make the choice between the one I ended up buying and another one at a car lot just down the street. I actually liked the latter better, but there were mechanical issues with it. Otherwise, I would`ve ended up with a Flame Red/Camel Tan and Graphite Trans Am instead of a Bright Red/Carmine Red one that I ended up with. Since the 1:1 will just like the Bright Red/Carmine Red one I had, I built the model to represent "other car".

I used the `85 Trans Am and `87 GTA Revell kits for this. As you can see, the decals were *really*, *really* difficult to work with. They wouldn`t conform to the curves and wouldn`t adhere. I have a feeling that being in the kit box for over 25 years may have something to do with it. The front and rear bumpers were a pain as well, but these kits are known for that. Let me know what you think.

done5.jpg

done1.jpg

done6.jpg

done4.jpg

done2.jpg

engine2.jpg

engine.jpg

That looks really nice and super clean, like usual.

But it looks to me like the wheels on the left side (maybe both side, kind of hard to see) are swapped. The deeper offset wheels should be on the front, shallow on the rear. Goes counter to what seems logical, but it is the way they were built.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it!

That looks really nice and super clean, like usual.

But it looks to me like the wheels on the left side (maybe both side, kind of hard to see) are swapped. The deeper offset wheels should be on the front, shallow on the rear. Goes counter to what seems logical, but it is the way they were built.

There is a man who knows his f-bodies! B) As far as I can tell, the offset on the kit wheels are the same for all 4 wheels. Or at least there is not as much difference as on the real 1:1 cars.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it!

There is a man who knows his f-bodies! B) As far as I can tell, the offset on the kit wheels are the same for all 4 wheels. Or at least there is not as much difference as on the real 1:1 cars.

I have those wheels on my car, and I just went through the kit I have set aside to make a replica of it and you are correct, the kit parts don't provide a front and rear as they should. I could have sworn they did it right. What a bummer, now I will have to machine more parts... In 1:1 it is enough to see, and being "backward" to me it kind of jumps out.

I'll say it again, you did a super clean job on that one, like usual...

Thanks everyone!

Hey Mark, I can definitely believe everything you said there. I actually used decal set solution trying to get them to stick and bend.

Harry, I will try harder, but I gave it my best shot and that's all that Jesus asks of me. ;)

:P :P :P It`s from South Park, btw. :D

Regardless what the rivet counters say that is every bit the Trans Am I know and ........... Kinda loathe..

The TPI looks spot on. and the build is MUY Excellante'.

Is there an IROC kit out there of this vintage?

Paint is also stunning BTW.

Bob

Looking really good! Subject is very interesting, and this one is built really nicely, I'd like to build something like this... Paintjob is amazing on this, it's very shiny and smooth. Also like the wheels on this, they are very realistic, and engine bay is very nice too. Detailing looks very nice, I can't find any mistakes from this one. Really great build, keep these coming. :unsure: