Model Cars Magazine Forum

Reinforcing Body Glue Joints

I got some Sig Glass Cloth from Sig Manufacturing Co. at Bill's recommendation. I got SIGGF003 Light Wt and it has worked out well for many splices and reinforced body areas. I may not be doing it exactly to his specifications but I typically apply a layer of epoxy over the joint then lay a piece of fiberglass over it. I'll press it into the epoxy with toothpicks or other object until it's buried. The one sheet I got will last me the rest of my life.

Lots of great tips here, Glass cloth is a great way to add strength. I realy like to use Sig brand glass cloth tape.

It is not a adhesive tape but simply a ribbon of glass cloth available in various widths, usually 1.5 oz. per sq. yd.

I realy don't like mixing small batches of epoxy so do things differently.

First cut the glass to rough size and lay it onto the area you want to strengthen.

Then flood it with styrene cement (I use Tamiya Extra Thin) rub it down. flood it again and rub it down untill it

stays attached to the surface. 

This is seen in the first picture.

Next, flood the Fiberglass with CA. I like to use Zap Plasti-zap. 

You can squeegee it out with what ever you wish, Finger wrapped in plastic bag, piece of plastic or cardboard.

The second picture shows final result.

Strong, quick and no need to mess around with epoxy.

P1000388.JPG

P1000389.JPG

A+B epoxy putty - sometimes called A+B plumbers putty but available in smaller packages in the paint department

heavy duty stuff - sticks, I mean really sticks to the plastic or resin - won't affect the plastic later like some solvent based glues or putties - dries hard, takes power tools (Dremel) to shape it

After mixing the two parts together, the secret trick is use a little water to mold it to shape before it sets. The water will also keep it from sticking to your fingers - don't worry, it will dry and the epoxy will still set