Model Cars Magazine Forum

RAT ROD FRIDAYS!!!!!

deathskull59

LIKE WOW!!! i think this thread is getting even more better and popular then the others nice to to see some thing diff. than shiny cars all the time! very great builds you guys got their. KEEP IT GOING!!! oh and im still working on the 37 ford rat truck. turn it into a big rig style custom box truck! its not a p/u ant more. B):D;):lol:

That's easy Glenn. Just brush some acrylic enamel flat or semi gloss black on your tires. Works really well if you dip your brush in water and then the paint. It makes it flow out really nice without leaving brush marks. It also helps to use a pretty wide brush. I've started painting some of my tires to knock down the shine a little. My '40 Ford coupe tires are painted with semi gloss black and flat white. Nice weathering BTW.

there is no such thing as an acrylic enamel, you have either or. enamel paints wont dry on the tires, they need to be done in acrylic paint.

That's easy Glenn. Just brush some acrylic enamel flat or semi gloss black on your tires. Works really well if you dip your brush in water and then the paint. It makes it flow out really nice without leaving brush marks. It also helps to use a pretty wide brush. I've started painting some of my tires to knock down the shine a little. My '40 Ford coupe tires are painted with semi gloss black and flat white. Nice weathering BTW.

there is no such thing as an acrylic enamel, you have either or. enamel paints wont dry on the tires, they need to be done in acrylic paint.

IMG_7723b.jpg?psid=1

Alyn,

This may be my favorite rat-rod I've seen on the site. I absolutely love everything about it. The weathering is perfect and the missing door panels in the interior is genius. Some times you see those cars that make you stop and go "wow"; this is one of those. Well done!

Funny thing too is that I'm not a big fan of the rat-rods in 1:1 but knowing all the work and techniques that it takes to make a scale model look right, rust and weathering-wise, makes me appreciate and enjoy the model versions. Nice work everyone on these!

Uh, my problem is that I want to change the wheels and tires for some from the Modelhaus that I think will look much better. The rear wheels are on a metal axle so thats no problem, but I glued the front wheels onto the axle quite well so they wont budge. The axle is out of a Lindberg kit, so the plastic is pretty soft. It bends before the wheelback starts to move. I've tried it several times, and I dont want to break it. And thanks for the compliment on the weathering!

This may be my favorite rat-rod I've seen on the site. I absolutely love everything about it. The weathering is perfect and the missing door panels in the interior is genius. Some times you see those cars that make you stop and go "wow"; this is one of those. Well done!

Funny thing too is that I'm not a big fan of the rat-rods in 1:1 but knowing all the work and techniques that it takes to make a scale model look right, rust and weathering-wise, makes me appreciate and enjoy the model versions. Nice work everyone on these!

I agree, Ryan! Alyn's '40 is just on the edge of not being a 'rat'! Almost just a touch too 'nice'. B)