Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mura Bros. Willys Truck

Looks like a great model! It looks like 1:1 car on these pictures. Paint looks cool, and color is very nice. Engine detailing is great also. Personally I don't like that bed, it looks maybe bit too short for me, and I'd like to shorten the wheelbase but of course that isn't builder's mistake. Nice model it is anyway, no any complaining about the building of this one. Great to see Gassers and other Old School drag racers being built. :(

Tim:

Very, very nice build! Thanks for posting. I may have missed this from a previous post but, would you mind describing how you did your paint (including the bed and rivets). Thank you.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the compliment. I'll see what I can do to answer your questions.

During the bodywork, I used Tamiya gray and white primers from the can with the final finish coats of primer in white. Then I used the Tamiya Pearl White straight outta the can. A couple of light coats and a couple of medium coats.

I used Cobra Colors Candy Tangerine in an airbrush and used the color photos I have from "The Rodders Journal", the Sept. '64 issue of "Rod & Custom Magazine" and the color pic of Don Emmons' in the Dec. issue of "R&C Models" for a guide to the paint job.

As for the bed, it was a resin piece that I cut down and used as a pattern to make the aluminum sides. The bed is not paint, but sheet aluminum. Measurements are from the Don Emmons "How-to" article in "R&C Models". The rivets are miniature rivets from Scale Hardware. The appropriately sized holes(.012 I believe) were laid out using a pattern and a pin vise.

I hope this answers your questions. If not I'll try to clarify more for you.

TimP

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like you used the "Emmons Method" on the 426 2-tone numbers on the bed too. I have a book that contained bits of old R&C model photos, and it shows the bedside having the gold painted into the all-black numbers.

Great retroesque build of a classic rod.

Mark and all,

Thanks and yes, I did use a lot of the "Emmons Method" on this build. My thoughts were to do a relica and a tribute build to Don in one model. I hope I've achieved that without taking away from either one.

The lettering was done using his method except that I used gold leaf instead of paint.

TimP