Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testors one coat lacquer

Priming isn't 100% necessary with this line, but it's best if you do prime first. You'll want to use a laquer base primer, I'm partial to Duplicolor. Tesotrs has a couple of clears in their laquer lines that will work fine with it, I've also used Tamiya clear on it without problems. Duplicolor Paint Shop clear works well, too. I'v never had to polish out anything I've finished with this paint, but it should be the same as any other finish.

Side note, don't buy into the "one coat" part, every time I've usde it, I needed at least 2 coats to get solid coverage.

It's very good paint- almost as good as Tamiya. I don't use primer at all and clear coat it with Testors laquer gloss coat.

Here's a pic of my 68 Charger that was polished with Blue Magic metal polish. The clear was polished not the color.

IMG_0460.jpg

Hope this helps

Gus

If you want to stick entirely within the paint line...Testors makes Lacquer Primer (Model Master) and Wet Look Clear (in the One Coat line), so that you're not crossing products together.

I hate recommending doing anything with Testors spray paints other than using them as paper weights, but the One Coats are pretty good.

Be careful with the MM One-Coats. They produce great coats very quickly and without using primers, but they go on heavy REAL QUICK. I've had one or two instances where a slow swipe and a heavy finger caused all sorts of dripping and bubbling, followed by a nice 1-week bath in Purple Power. Practice on a junk body or sheet of styrene first. Get a nice light dusting on the first pass or two until you get a good base, then after a good dry hit the car with a good solid (not HEAVY) coat afterwards to even everything out. Great stuff!

I love this paint, have used almost every color except for the pink (using it soon) and even though some can be a little heavy on the metallic side, they are easy to spray and I don't normally use a primer with them unless I need the color to be slightly darker than normal. Of course, sand and prep the body for paint first. The only color I'm personally not happy with in the Testors One Coat line is the "Root Beer". It came out more burgundy/dark red than actual root beer brown for me. I might get a 2nd can and try it again though. The Wet Look clear is great as well IMO.

I have used it many times...It does spray thick....decant or heat the can. I would suggest duplacolor primer under. The flake size does appear smaller after clearing.

Inca Gold, Lime Ice , and Diamond dust are always used by me!!

roof..inca gold

IMG_2114-1.jpg

IMG_1185.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The only thing I can say about not using primer with the Testors Laquers is that some platics do react with it. Nothing serious, but I have had a few times where the draft lines in the plastic will show up in the finish. Older AMT plastic seems to do it the worst, especially if a metallic color is used.

• 3 weeks later...

The only thing I can say about not using primer with the Testors Laquers is that some platics do react with it. Nothing serious, but I have had a few times where the draft lines in the plastic will show up in the finish. Older AMT plastic seems to do it the worst, especially if a metallic color is used.

Yeah, same thing happened to me one when I painted a Revell 07 Shelby GT500 with OCL (one coat lacquer) White Lightning over the plastic years ago. I find it's best to use primer first, then the color coats so it dosen't bleed through the lacquer color, and finaly shot it over with the OCL color of my choice.

Edited by V-spec

I always primer every part. It just makes the painting process so much easier. Before I began primering everything,I always had problems with paint pulling away from sharp corners and panel lines. The only problem I have with the Testors one coat laquers is the size of the flakes in the paint. Some of them are better suited for bass boats. Other colors don't seem to have the big flakes and look OK.

I've never had any crazing with the Testors or Tamiya laquers, I use them regularly without primer. However, I have seen some colors (Nassau Blue Metallic is the main culprit) that will show draft lines in the plastic. It doesn't do it all the time, it seems to vary depending on the kit. Even then, I've had times where I've done two bodies at the same time, from kits manufacturerd areound the same time from the same company, one will show draft lines, the other won't. The clear does mute the effect some.