Model Cars Magazine Forum

Foil-Impression Emblems

I'm sure this topic's been covered numerous times ; and , truthfully , I don't have the patience to scroll-through 60+ pages to find it :

Making foil-impression emblems , using aluminum foil .

I just got some vintage '73 Duster kits ( MPC annuals ) and am wanting to make the moulded-on badges ( the "DUSTER" markings ) before I so much as lay down some primer .

I grabbed a small portion of a sheet of aluminum foil ; gently-pressed it over one of the (faint) badges on the front fenders ; gently buffed the impression onto the foil with a Q-Tip ; then filled the backside with super glue .

Does this sound about right ?

Anyone have some better suggestions ?

Thanks much !

I'm a hot rod and custom guy. "Emblems,emblems we don't need no stinkin' emblems"... But, I'll be watchin' just in case....

I've seen it done with a dab of epoxy. Then sanded down from the back until only the emblem was left. I think the George Bojaciuk did it in one of the magazines

years ago.

Smokey

I'm a hot rod and custom guy. "Emblems,emblems we don't need no stinkin' emblems"... But, I'll be watchin' just in case....

I've seen it done with a dab of epoxy. Then sanded down from the back until only the emblem was left. I think the George Bojaciuk did it in one of the magazines

years ago.

Smokey

Thanks for your reply .

Yes , I remember reading about Mister Bojaciuk's [sp?] emblem making process many years ago in "one of those [model car] magazines" ; and , I cannot believe that it's been over 20 years since I read the first article showing this B)

I've never had to attempt this process before , as 99% of the time I start with new , untouched kits , so this'll be a first :blink: .

Thanks again :(

John - That may be one way to do it but I use a variation on it. I start with Bare Metal Foil. I burnish it down well and then put a thick coat of white glue over it. After the glue has dried completely, I put a real large lump of two part body putty over that. Once every thing has cured, I pull it all off the model. The BMF will generally give up pretty easily. You might want to put a handle of some sort in the putty to assist with lifting it. I then fill the back side of the BMF with gap filling super glue. Let that set. Then with a sanding stick gentling sand the superglue until you get rid of the BMF back to the point that you see the outline of your script. Then soak the whole thing in warm water to dissolve the white glue and you will be left with the superglue and BMF script. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply .

Yes , I remember reading about Mister Bojaciuk's [sp?] emblem making process many years ago in "one of those [model car] magazines" ; and , I cannot believe that it's been over 20 years since I read the first article showing this :o

I've never had to attempt this process before , as 99% of the time I start with new , untouched kits , so this'll be a first :blink: .

Thanks again :lol:

Yep, it's been that long ago. George is a friend of mine and while I've been in and out of the hobby over the years he has been steady in it.

I have not done the emblem thing either.

Have fun,Smokey

This is a test...This is the first time that I did the quote thing on this site.

Yep, it's been that long ago. George is a friend of mine and while I've been in and out of the hobby over the years he has been steady in it.

I have not done the emblem thing either.

Have fun,Smokey

This is a test...This is the first time that I did the quote thing on this site.

That's cool that you're friends with George . I've always liked his builds , his subject matter and his style .

Does he still have any of those builds from years ago ? The '71 GTX , '70 AAR , '71 440 Six Barrel 'Cuda , etc.

I'm sure this topic's been covered numerous times ; and , truthfully , I don't have the patience to scroll-through 60+ pages to find it :

Making foil-impression emblems , using aluminum foil .

I just got some vintage '73 Duster kits ( MPC annuals ) and am wanting to make the moulded-on badges ( the "DUSTER" markings ) before I so much as lay down some primer .

I grabbed a small portion of a sheet of aluminum foil ; gently-pressed it over one of the (faint) badges on the front fenders ; gently buffed the impression onto the foil with a Q-Tip ; then filled the backside with super glue .

Does this sound about right ?

Anyone have some better suggestions ?

Thanks much !

That sounds just like what I do and it works every time. However, I recommend hitting your super glue with a drop of accelerator. It's amazing how long that tiny puddle of glue takes to harden on its own.

IMGP3367.jpg

IMGP3369.jpg

IMGP3370.jpg

BTW, do I see a Studebaker Hawk in your future??

Indeed you do but it will be a while before it's finished. It's a '56 and loosely (and I do mean loosely) based on the R&R resin kit. A lot of stuff has to be scratch built or completely redone. Here's some teaser shots of the Packard 352 Sky Power in progress:

IMGP3804.jpg

IMGP3801.jpg

Edited by mr moto

Ahhh Okay! I have one of his Hawks also and yes, a number of things need to be done to make it accurate. Fortunately, I have a Packard engine in scale that came from a resin '55 Packard convertible kit which I may never build.

If I do build it, it would be a curbside since that car's appeal is in its styling more than the engine.

Is your engine based on the 259 V8 that came out of the '53 Stude kit, or is it based on something else? Also which set did the PE come from for the grille? I have a '58 Golden Hawk (which I'd like to get to redoing sometime) that could use a PE grille like that.

The engine has the block, heads and water pump from Revell's Parts Pack Cadillac with the starter and fuel pump moved to the opposite side and there are parts from '59 Cad, Chevy 396, Avanti 289, Parts Pack 283, and the air cleaner is just all kinds of bits and pieces - some of it actually glows in the dark! A real Frankenstein. I didn't know there had ever been a resin (or styrene) Packard V-8!

IMGP3646.jpg

The PE grill is from Model Car Garage:

http://modelcargarag...5&idproduct=377

Edited by mr moto

I didn't know there had ever been a resin (or styrene) Packard V-8!

The '55 Packard resin kit was cast in very limited numbers by the late Ed Fluck of F&F Resin. I've had it sometime since the late '90's, and it's not a bad casting at all..........just needs some cleanup to be nice.

Now that I see what you used to make your Packard engine, I may keep that resin one with the Packard, and make mine out of those parts! :unsure: Thanks again for showing how you cast that emblem for the hood..............Ray gives you a rather rudimentary grille with not much detail as far as the grille pattern.

If/when I ever get around to building my '56 Hawk, I've definitely saved this tip! Also thanks for the link where I can get that PE. ;)