Model Cars Magazine Forum

What size compressor do you use to air-brush?

I've got a craftsman with a 2 gallon tank. It is a good (but loud) compressor that I've had about 10 years now. My only complaint is I wish I had gotten one with a 5 gallon tank. The 2 gallon tank just doesn't hold enough air to let me finish a paint job without firing up the compressor (did I mention it is loud B) ).

I've got a craftsman with a 2 gallon tank. It is a good (but loud) compressor that I've had about 10 years now. My only complaint is I wish I had gotten one with a 5 gallon tank. The 2 gallon tank just doesn't hold enough air to let me finish a paint job without firing up the compressor (did I mention it is loud B) ).

thats why i bought a 20 gallon 5 gallons wasnt cutting it

any comp that mantanes 50 psi will work... pawn shops / used are half price/noise insolate a box and drop over it ..dont over heat / or ebay 1/2 price / my comp i got on ebay new in box but does not work i took a chan ..i fixed it .. it cost $2.00 & 10 for shipping / i got so lucky jr

Edited by mr cheap

Whatever you choose, consider putting it in another room if you can. You can pipe air to your work area (black steel pipe works well), and add a regulator and quick connect right where you paint. I always jump half out of my skin when a compressor kicks on, not helpful when trying to get a nice paint job.

I bought a two piston, tankless, oilless compressor from Bear Air (their brand/Polar bear 2000). It turns on when you pull the trigger on your airbrush,it is small (will sit on a tabletop and is very quiet. I paid less than $200, I think around $160.

Edited by 58 Impala

Whatever you choose, consider putting it in another room if you can. You can pipe air to your work area (black steel pipe works well), and add a regulator and quick connect right where you paint. I always jump half out of my skin when a compressor kicks on, not helpful when trying to get a nice paint job.

That is a big part of the reason I've stuck with the 2 gallon I have. Once we get back into a place of our own, I hope to have a proper shop building (wood, auto, model) where I can isolate and install a large compressor, then run airlines thoughout.

I've got a 5 gallon Napa airtank that I've added a regulator (probably spent $100 10+ years ago) to and filled with a compressor that plugs into my cigarette lighter (Don't laugh, it worked pretty good on Pactra and Createx paints!) and a a Coleman air compressor and IIRC a 2 gallon airtank (think that was on sale for $59.99)that I haven't had the chance to get rigged up since I need to get the two next to each other and start looking and what I need to do.

You can use PVC pipe to run air lines. It's cheaper, lighter, and easier to work with than black steel pipe.

And it doesn't RUST! Black iron, while cheap, can rust internally if you don't have a good dryer inline, and add a drip leg or two.

BTW, I use a 2 hp 22 gallon Sanborn running on 220v. It's about 30 years old, but I can't complain about what I paid for it, $0.00!

I use this one as it is really quiet.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200354872_200354872

Works great with the tank.

I just ordered one! It was exactly what I wanted. Compressor with small tank and a regulator, with water trap. The price was reasonable, too. Just over $100 to my door.

I'm looking forward to exercising my airbrush rights!