Model Cars Magazine Forum

vote best car (chase) movie ever// the most fun

if language bothers you as an adult, you can dismiss most any movie that has a car chase in it.

i don't know that Death Proof was any more gory or dark than say Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry either which has a suprisingly nasty shoot out with some cops in the beginning. alot of people don't realize that the ending of Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry was shown before the beginning of every episode of the Fall Guy.

never heard of fall guy or dirty mary (i know dirty harry though)

but what i mean is, i dont need to hear anything that would spell out like this on the forum

guy1 : hey ...how the ****** are you ?

guy2 :******** great you ********* how is your ******** hanging?

guy1 :my ******** is booming man, just ********* booming

guy2 :*********

guy1 :******* just ******

i can get past the bad acting and just plain stupidity of the plot/dialogue/director but i draw the line at having to listen to a barague of cussing

Lots of great classics listed here. Ronin would have to be near the top of my list. Those chase scenes through extremely tight European streets was intense.

How about two more recent movies with interesting chase scenes. The Marine with John Cena has an early movie chase scene with a souped up Camaro police pursuit vehicle and The Expendables with the chase scene where they virtually destroy Stallones customized F-100.

Bullitt, the original Gone in 60 seconds.The nasty remake has way to much CGI. When Halicki wrecked a car, he wrecked a car. Surprised no one mentions Two Lane Blacktop. Also have to have the Seven Ups. A lot of great car movies, but these are my favorites.

I have to agree with most of what's been posted, but I'm also kinda surprised that nobody has mentioned "Short Time" with Dabny Coleman too though. I'd post it here, but it's got some questionable language and gestures B)

AWwww man I forgot "Short Time".....Good one!!!

Wow so many great old car chase movies and have many of them in my library , I would have to go with Vanishing Point with Bullit close behind . But they all were great

My feelings EXACTLY, IN THAT order!!!!! Those two movies inspired all the rest. Maybe there are some that MAY be better, but these two bad boys started the musclecar chase craze. Two Lane Blacktop was a lame flick, but it too was a good 'period"movie, with the cars an all. Bill, That Video blew me away!!! THAT was a FUNNY mug!!!! I LOVED it!!!!:D:lol:B):lol:

My choice is not a chase scene from a traditonal movie, but the 9 minute classic C'etait Un Rendezvous from French director Claude Leliuch. A camera was strapped to the front bumper of an unknown car and then driven at high speeds through the Paris streets early one morning. No edits or cuts during the nine minutes. The streets were not blocked off and no permits were issued to allow him th film. The drive was highly illegal and dangerous.

Search youtube for Rendezvous

Danger

My choice is not a chase scene from a traditonal movie, but the 9 minute classic C'etait Un Rendezvous from French director Claude Leliuch. A camera was strapped to the front bumper of an unknown car and then driven at high speeds through the Paris streets early one morning. No edits or cuts during the nine minutes. The streets were not blocked off and no permits were issued to allow him th film. The drive was highly illegal and dangerous.

Search youtube for Rendezvous

Danger

I thought I read somewhere (not on YouTube) that the car was actually a Mercedes running through Paris, and the sound was dubbed in to make it seem like it was a Ferrari running.

Nevertheless VERY dangerous, daredevil moves that guy did! It's a wonder they didn't chase him down and arrest him on the spot!

I thought I read somewhere (not on YouTube) that the car was actually a Mercedes running through Paris, and the sound was dubbed in to make it seem like it was a Ferrari running.

Nevertheless VERY dangerous, daredevil moves that guy did! It's a wonder they didn't chase him down and arrest him on the spot!

Yes, I saw that, and while many people could find it boring, I thought it was fabulous (for a car nut like me). Of course, Lelouch did some very cool car scenes in his romantic dramas, "A Man and a Woman," both 1 & 2. The first one (1966) is definitely for car and racing aficionados, with its study of a GT40 race driver/test driver and his daily-driver Mustang convertible, and the sequel (1986) places the original cast in dire straits during the Paris-Dakar rally. Love both of those movies.

:lol: was that the movie with Stallone where they sucked the sewer lid up off the street in that chase?

Yep, and I repeat, dreck! :lol: I never thought I would ever dislike a movie that involved car racing, but Driven proved me wrong. I saw on imdb.com that the movie cost $72 mil to make, and as of 2008, had only made about $36 mil in worldwide revenue. That's seven years after the movie was released, and includes cable TV rights, etc.

that jogged my memory to 3 great movies no one mentioned

taxi

taxi2

taxi3

i especially liked the opening scene in taxi2 where luc is stuck behind Jean-Louis Schlesser and the whole dialogue that goes on

(i couldnt find the subtitles in english so here's a transcript of it...beginning untill the guy calls the time)

Left! 3rd!

Jean-Louis Schlesser in his mean machine,

No. 10, 10, like Zidane

30 meter, left Brake!

World rally champion in '98 and '99.

winner of the Paris - Dakar: the man to beat!

Left, top speed!

Get a move on! We'll get slaughtered!

I'm flat out!

The guy behind's flatter out! Watch out!

He's flashing me! Isn't that Vatanen?

No, a taxi!

Move your crate! I'm working here!

-Is it the right road? -Short cut!

Short cut...

-Don't let a taxi win! -No way!

Sorry, folks. A tourist's blocking the road!

It looks more like a race car.

It's just a clown in a "babe magnet"!

A taxi on our tail sure looks bad!

I'll shake him now!

He rammed me!

Enough! We'll be here all week!

Nearly there, lady.

Why...why are there so many people here?

They're on vacation.

Oh, right!

C'mon. Jean-Louis!Bravo, Jean Louis!

No. 10 ... It's not Schlesser!

A taxi...

I didn't catch his number...

17 min., 25 sec!

Maybe this is out of bounds, but I always loved the chariot race in Ben Hur. Not exactly a chase, but it's a masterpiece of action, stunt men, film editing, and drama! It was made in 1959 when special effect technology was nowhere near today's level.

For car chases, I vote for Bullitt.

Sam

The original "Gone in 60 seconds" has to get the nod from me followed very closely by "Bullitt".

But some that are not to be forgotten have to include "Diamonds are forever" ('71 Mustang on two wheels?!?!?!), "The Italian Job" (the original), "Smokey and the Bandit", "Gumball Rally" and my personal favorite.... "The General"!!!

Yeah you heard me. The General was a silent pictures film staring Buster Keaton and a 4-4-2 Steam locomotive. The picture was filmed in 1927 but takes place during the Civil war. Buster is an engineer who is not allowed to volunteer to fight because of his current employment as a railroad engineer. Each half of the film is predominantly composed of two train chases over the same territory. Each scene in the chase of the first half had a counterpart in the film's second half.

In the first chase, Johnnie (Buster) pursues his stolen locomotive taken to the North by the Union forces. In the second half, the Union spies chase Johnnie in his re-possessed General back to the South.

The film concludes with a climactic battle at a river gorge, with the dramatic crash of the pursuit train into the Rock River in the film's most spectacular scene.

The engine, by the way, laid on that river bed until the 70's when salvage of metal made it worthwhile. I know because many scenes were filmed here in Oregon along closed rail routes. Do not sell it short, it is as well made as Bullitt and even better than Gone in 60 Seconds....

The original "Gone in 60 seconds" has to get the nod from me followed very closely by "Bullitt".

But some that are not to be forgotten have to include "Diamonds are forever" ('71 Mustang on two wheels?!?!?!), "The Italian Job" (the original), "Smokey and the Bandit", "Gumball Rally" and my personal favorite.... "The General"!!!

Yeah you heard me. The General was a silent pictures film staring Buster Keaton and a 4-4-2 Steam locomotive. The picture was filmed in 1927 but takes place during the Civil war. Buster is an engineer who is not allowed to volunteer to fight because of his current employment as a railroad engineer. Each half of the film is predominantly composed of two train chases over the same territory. Each scene in the chase of the first half had a counterpart in the film's second half.

In the first chase, Johnnie (Buster) pursues his stolen locomotive taken to the North by the Union forces. In the second half, the Union spies chase Johnnie in his re-possessed General back to the South.

The film concludes with a climactic battle at a river gorge, with the dramatic crash of the pursuit train into the Rock River in the film's most spectacular scene.

The engine, by the way, laid on that river bed until the 70's when salvage of metal made it worthwhile. I know because many scenes were filmed here in Oregon along closed rail routes. Do not sell it short, it is as well made as Bullitt and even better than Gone in 60 Seconds....

How did the train chase in that recent movie with Denzel Washington and the guy who played Captain Kirk fair compared to "The General"?

Ahmmmm... "Unstoppable"? But I don't see William Shatner in that or any movie with Denzel where a Train is involved. At any rate, I did not see Unstoppable so I cannot make any comparisons.

But, that said, "The General" was made in 1927. All the stunts are genuine, dangerous and live. No computer animation! The action is good, the comedy well thought out and if one puts it into perspective of today. Totally impossible for Hollywood to produced anything this well done ever again.