Model Cars Magazine Forum

axia skyline gtr

wreckless666

went to a new hobby shop yesterday that i found and i picked up this tamiya and had to buy it. its my first japanese build.

so far all i did was clean up some mold lines on the body. they werent too bad and cleaned up pretty easy.

i dont really have any plans with it other then i wanna do some sort of drift build since it comes with a nice stripped interior.

but since ive never built a jap kit or a drift car ill take my time on this.

box art

377375518597_0_1.jpg

just a mock up to see how the wheels look. im probably gonna lower it but like i said i dont have anything specific planned im just gonna go with the flow.

377458814469_0_0.jpg

rims it comes with. probably gonna get some new wheels for it.

377458935941_0_0.jpg

does anybody have any decent pictures of drift skylines?

Brandon

personally, if that kit's still got good decals i'd build it as the Axia car and look for something else to build into a drift car. not a common kit to find for sure, especially here in the US

i dont know too much about these japanese kits and whats harder to find. ive never really been a decal kind of dude. i would have to assume the decals are good but i dont like the way they look. too much goofy colors

actually more people drift skylines than you'd think. I'm pretty sure there is a version of the r32 skyline that is rwd, and many are converted. i wasn't sure what you wanted but heres a few pictures i found

1.jpg

3754958451_8a4a580c77.jpg

dacars3.jpg

GS-CarbonR32-015.jpg

IMG_3131_jon_jaffe_r32_skyline_copy.jpg

imgp2572.jpg

kazama23.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

I prefer the more simple look cause I like -all go with a little show!

Edited by h3ae86

actually more people drift skylines than you'd think. I'm pretty sure there is a version of the r32 skyline that is rwd, and many are converted. i wasn't sure what you wanted but heres a few pictures i found

1.jpg

3754958451_8a4a580c77.jpg

dacars3.jpg

GS-CarbonR32-015.jpg

IMG_3131_jon_jaffe_r32_skyline_copy.jpg

imgp2572.jpg

kazama23.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

I prefer the more simple look cause I like -all go with a little show!

thank you thank you thank you. this is exactly the kinda of pictures i was looking for. some exterior reference pictures. i dont know too much about drifting but the main thing i wanted pictures for was for the different body kit styles. still unsure of what i wanna do with this since i find out its such a rare kit. i did see that its a discontinued model but im pretty sure im gonna turn it into a drifter

hey bro, good to see this one on here too. heres a link to some searches. some pretty nice drift r32's on there.

http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=R32%20skyline%20drift&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

looking forward to more. fee free to ask any questions. im no pro, but i know a bit of it.

i debadged the trunk, did a wing delete and got the body primed.

i also cut out the holes in the front bumper for the air vents.

r32mockup.jpg

r32frontend.jpg

i also have some of the motor together so i could start the FMIC piping.

i cut open romex wire and bent it to shape.

r32fmicpiping.jpg

the piping isnt finished i just snapped a picture so you get the idea of how it will look.

im thinking about building a front lip and a rear diffuser like this one

skyliner32.jpg

skyliner321.jpg

i need some ideas on rims and paint

got a little bit of work done today. the motor is fully assembled and i finished the intercooler piping to look like its wrapped.

377732931589_0_0.jpg

377726978437_0_0.jpg

i also have the undercarriage pretty much finished. i may go back and weather it a little more

377732877573_0_0.jpg

377732829829_0_0.jpg

377732742917_0_0.jpg

the interior is next, but im still looking for good reference pictures of r32 stripped drift interiors.

cant seem to find too many good pictures or pictures that are correct anyway.

you'd be hard pressed to find good pictures of drift interiors because there isn't really anything specific that has to be done. many people leave it stock, some mod it a little, some strip it to bare bones and the professionals have the full race car interior it just depends on what you want.

here's a pro interior

nob3.jpg

simple

Image6.jpg

bare bone

4886060568_2013f53f42.jpg]

absolute bar bone

IMG_3565.jpg

you'd be hard pressed to find good pictures of drift interiors because there isn't really anything specific that has to be done. many people leave it stock, some mod it a little, some strip it to bare bones and the professionals have the full race car interior it just depends on what you want.

here's a pro interior

nob3.jpg

simple

Image6.jpg

bare bone

4886060568_2013f53f42.jpg]

absolute bar bone

IMG_3565.jpg

thanks mate. the reason for looking for the interiors is because some have the handbrakes set up different. sometimes even having the stock handbrake and a hydraulic handbrake. this kit came with no handbrake at all so its up to me to scratch build one. i may throw in two handbrakes just for the heck of it

no real update on this thing, just toying around with some wheel choices. im thinking about going with these te37 wheels but im not sure if i wanna attempt to make these fit a tamiya model. they are fujimi and they mount differently. anyway heres the mock ups.

r32rimmockup.jpg

r32rimchoice.jpg

those are my rim choices so far. im still gonna look into other rims. those are both at actual ride height.

this is a slammed version with the volk rims.

r32rimmockup3.jpg

r32rimmockup2.jpg

it looks sexy slammed but the suspension is already done and glued in so im not gonna change it now.

went to a few hobby shops yesterday and picked up a few kits and some other goodies.

amtnova.jpg

fujimisti.jpg

fujimievo.jpg

the wheels above are from the sti and evo kits. also another reason why im unsure if i will use them for the r32.

i also bought some wheels from a member on another forum.

carepackage3.jpg

carepackage2.jpg

some other goodies he threw in there

carepackage1.jpg

i have the interior pretty much finished, i didnt wanna put too much detail into it so i didnt wire anything inside. i know it would look better but as of right now i can do without it. maybe ill go back and do it later. i also decided to go with the kit rims and tires. just sanded the tires a little thinner in the front.

r32dash.jpg

i used the rpm tach from the revell rsx kit i have.

i also made the handbrake from scratch and found a fire extinguisher in my parts box to add in there

r32interior3.jpg

r32interior2.jpg

r32interior.jpg

stance isnt perfect on her but it still looks good to me. i painted the rims gold

stance3.jpg

stance2.jpg

stance1.jpg

painted the exhaust, installed it and weathered the chassis some more.

the chassis is complete along with the interior.

all thats left is window and the head lamps and tail lamps, side mirrors and a few decals.

z5.jpg

z2.jpg

front ride height

z4.jpg

rear ride height

z3.jpg

i was gonna paint this car red but i chose flat black instead. i want this car to have that amature diy drifting feel to it. i was gonna add a little damage to the car but i decided to keep it clean. this is the drivers new drift car so its fresh :P

any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated. this is my first drift build and i would like to know how i can do it better next time around

Brandon

your build is looking great! but i gotta say, i am flat out IN LOVE LUV with this car:

IMG_0762.jpg

that is one gorgeous ride there.

i was really laughing at this one...until i realized that this is how a race interior really looks!

IMG_3565.jpg

great pics and sweet work on your build!

your build is looking great! but i gotta say, i am flat out IN LOVE LUV with this car:

IMG_0762.jpg

that is one gorgeous ride there.

i was really laughing at this one...until i realized that this is how a race interior really looks!

IMG_3565.jpg

great pics and sweet work on your build!

im really in love with this passenger seat lol

ive been considering getting one, but im not sure of the motor quality, coul you post some more pics, specificly the turbo, and turbo minifold.

i dont have a decent camera to take good pics. but i have found these on various model car forums. the quailty isnt too bad. the turbos are small and dont look great and there is no intercooler piping. i still think its worth buying a skyline kit with a motor.

heres the pictures i found

21.jpg

piping added

31.jpg

this guy added the IC piping

NissanSyklineGTR-32TrackCar10.jpg

NissanSyklineGTR-32TrackCar07.jpg

NissanSyklineGTR-32TrackCar11.jpg

adding the piping is easy to do

i dont have a decent camera to take good pics. but i have found these on various model car forums. the quailty isnt too bad. the turbos are small and dont look great and there is no intercooler piping. i still think its worth buying a skyline kit with a motor.

heres the pictures i found

21.jpg

piping added

31.jpg

this guy added the IC piping

NissanSyklineGTR-32TrackCar10.jpg

NissanSyklineGTR-32TrackCar07.jpg

NissanSyklineGTR-32TrackCar11.jpg

adding the piping is easy to do

does that front mount come with the kit?

Hey Nice project ,but i think if you wrap the intercooler plumbing you would be defeating the purpose, as wrap keeps heat in, and those are cold air induction pipes, Im no expert but i have built a few skylines with full plumbing. Any way it stands I just thought I'd add that little tid bit, this is your project build it the way that makes you happy. Keep up the good work and im looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Oh heres a couple pics of the two skylines I built.

100_9834.jpg

Picture034.jpg

campingtrips007.jpg

Hey Nice project ,but i think if you wrap the intercooler plumbing you would be defeating the purpose, as wrap keeps heat in, and those are cold air induction pipes, Im no expert but i have built a few skylines with full plumbing. Any way it stands I just thought I'd add that little tid bit, this is your project build it the way that makes you happy. Keep up the good work and im looking forward to seeing this one finished.

thanks bud. i finished it a few days ago. its in the finished section. as far as ic pipe wrap, ive read online in a few car forums about it. as far as i know its insulation and keeps it from getting hot. i dont know if heat wrap is the same as header wrap but thats what most poeple seem to be doing IRL. i could be wrong though. i think it looks cool though.